Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

Been here awhile will be going from a Chevy Duramax to a HDT some time in mid 08. Pulling a Weekend Warrior (Toy Hauler) 37 footer to all the local ATV/Dirtbike tracks for the kids. I wish I found this site years ago.

v/r

John

2004 387 Pete (Red) Pitt Power, Super singles...

2003 Chev 2500HD Durmax/Allison CST 6" lift/K&N Air System/Oversized Borla/Edge System.

2006 37' Weekend Warrior 5th Wheel

2009 KTM 450 XCW

2007 Honda TRX 400

2006 Honda TRX 250

2004 2 Polaris 700

Hello to all. Technically, this isn’t my first post, but only 2 in the last week should hardly count. Long time lurker, couple of years, and now the “coast is clear†to get an HDT. Just sold our motor home, tried the converted bus route before, had a small 5th wheel + PU years ago, but on to a HDT. We have talked truck with Oldphoneman at Winchester, who is only about 80 miles away, a great source of info. (Missed the first NW rally do to a scheduling conflict)

Nuf Truck’s rig, the living quarter horse/dog trailer, is close to what we will start with, but not a new Volvo. Will likely be a cheap seat ex-fleet, not quite worn out (we hope) rig that we can make right and reliable again.

I can’t thank all the folks who have contributed to this site enough. The wealth of information and postings has saved we that come after the steep learning curve.

As we circle ever closer to the first HDT, I’m sure I will have some questions, but know most of them are answered by using the “findâ€.

Thank you all again; Dave in Oregon, aka; dcsailing1

Welcome dcsailing, and good luck on your adventure. Curious about your thinking towards something like our set-up -- do you have horses, or quads etc? While we use ours in the traditional manner with the horses, more and more folks are designing the "horse" compartment for other toys like quads, dune buggies, etc. They like the structural features and longevity of these aluminum trailers. If you're interested in a 4Star, my wife can get you set up. Good luck, again,

Cal

2005 Volvo VNL 42 630

Thanks, Cal My wife has a mare + her filly. So the plan is to have a safer TV to pull a LQ horse trailer around, park and she rides, while I guard the camp or fish. I tried the horse thing a couple of years ago, but getting too old to fall that far. So I get to clean stalls, I guess that’s the same as riding. We are planning to do more traveling and maybe running to sun country in the winter so a larger 5er RV may show up later. Last motor home had a series 60, plenty of go and whoa, but way to low to pull the horse trailer off pavement. dc

Hi Dave (And Sharon) ........

Lets get together -- After the 28th (or so) .. .. And you can drive Loose Change (Aka -- Ol Red) ....... It will be a truly Shiftless experience for you .. .. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh -- And don't forget -- The WCR .. Let me know and I'll add you both to the "List" .. icon_wink.gif

Happy Hunting ........ icon_cool.gif

Dave

I admit I have been lurking for a few months. I am a F/T RV'er in Florida for the winter and everywhere else during the summer. I own a 16.5K pound Carriage Carri-Lite 5er and pull with an '05 F350 DRW. I will make the switch when I find the vehicle I want and the funds to make it right. I have my eyes set on a 2000 610 with autoshift but if that falls through I would consider others (I like those Fredom Line 387's). I have gained enough info from this forum to totally exhaust my three remaining live brain cells. I have met a few forum members over the last few months and they have been wonderful in helping me convince the wife that hdt is the way to go. Now she doesn't want to head to the mts out west until we get a "real truck". Ok, I now go back to my usual lurking mode. Looking forward to joining you all at a rally some day... Lwop

'96 FL60 300 HP Cat 860 Ft lbs torque, 6 sp Allison, 2005 CarriLite XTRm5

Hi my name is Dave and I am an HDT lurker icon_biggrin.gif

We have a lighter 5th wheel but am considering an HDT as a long term solution. I have read all of your personal sites and yes an HDT makes more sense (I will be daily driving mine). I plan to pseudo retire in 10 years so an HDT purchase seems logical. I like the Volvo 610's and the KW T2000.

I have a lot of questions but since I am not ready to make a purchase I thought I would do some more reading and note taking.

My thinking is that if a buy a truck that is less than say 7-10 years and take care of it, it should last me as long as I want it to.

Dave

Hello,

I have been lurking/visiting the site for over a year. I currently have a Diesel pusher RV and a Duramax Dually for pulling a couple different tag enclosed trailers. I read the post and suck up as much knowlege as I can from all you experienced guys.

My goal is to have an HDT with an enclosure for my Bike and tow fiver. The other possibility is an HDT Renegade style RV and tow an enclosed trailer. Haven't found a discussion site for them yet, but know a couple have them here. Thanks for all the interesting facts sharing of knowlege. It is very helpful !

Larry

Larry & Lisa

95 Gulfstream Tour Master 39'

09 HD Ultra Classic & 14' Trailer

I have been lurking on occasion for a couple of years. I can take full retirement at 55 in 2 years and I am leaning toward fulltiming with a HDT pulled fiver. I was going to go to the June HDT Rally in PA to pick your brains and see equipment that I have been reading about first hand. In as much as my vacation time is limited, I decided to attend the Escapades this fall instead.

Jim

I have been quietly researching HDT's for over two years now, and I have gotten so many good ideas from all of you. I am actually picking up my Volvo 610 from Larry Z this weekend, and I am planning on installing a Rampage Motorcycle Lift, and a couple of watertight Delta Underbody tool boxes just behind the sleeper. I decided to go with the standard Holland hitch for now, but with a TrailAir pin box. I will be having a real tow bed built in the next couple of years after I look at a few and decide what features I really want in a tow bed.

Tommy, Marci and Kirby (4 legged child)

2001 VNL 610, D12 485, 3.73, 10 Spd-Autoshift, Pioneer AVIC-N3 GPS

1981 Honda GL1100 Full Dress on Rampage Lift behind Sleeper

2003 Mobile Suites 31RS3, Onan 5500W Genny, TrailAir PinBox

My name is Jess, and I've posted a few on truckconversion.net, but although I registered here, I don't think I've posted....so either I'm a lurker, or I just broke the rules.... anyhow, we recently bought a 37' New Vision Sportster,(and our Harley sidecar rig fits perfectly) and eventually plan on using a Volvo 610 conversion to pull it. I just need to buy & convert a Volvo first. For now, we have an old Silverado 454 Dually to move it around locally. Finances don't allow the leap just yet, but I'm trying to absorb as much information as possible from these forums for the interim. I've had a lot of my questions answered without having to ask myself, and agree that the commentary that goes on between you "hard cores" can be very informative. I am a retired food-service delivery driver, 20 years driving experience on anything from box "straight trucks" to a full 18 wheels beneath me. I've never driven an autoshift class 8, and am not including that in my personal laundry list of qualifications for my ideal truck. Frankly, I enjoyed the ability to match the gears to the road conditions, and don't really like the auto in my dually.... but that's just me.

I shall make myself known more frequently, if I feel I can add anything, or ask questions that still remain. I'm not afraid to reveal how little I actually know about something when I have a question about it! Thank you for the opportunity to learn....

Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian.
- Robert Orben

2001 Volvo 610, Cummins N14;10 speed; ET Hitch
2007 KZ New Vision Sportster 37FK;
1992 TourGlide Ultra w/ California Sidecar
NRA Life Member

Just recently lurking.

Have been intrigued by the idea of an HDT pulling a fiver for some time. Glad to find a source of information for it.

Not new to RVing - have a class A, class B, and BIG camper mounted on an F350 CC 4x4 w/ Banks Powerpack, air bags, and Ritchie 19.5" wheels.

If I get a fiver down the line (looking at them...) and it proves too much for the F350, I'll be getting more interested in pursuing an HDT.

Meanwhile, lurking and learning...

rickb

Hello fellow lurkers I'm James, I have been lurkin for around a month.Just want to thank you for the great site, so much info, it sure has helped me decide on making the jump from the f350 tow boss to a 2000 VOLVO 770,435 CUMMINS REDTOP,AUTOSHIFT. Waiting for delivery this week. Thanks for all of the help!

We just attended our orientation session of Life on Wheels in Tucson, AZ today. There are no HDT's in the parking lot but Maxwell did ask one of the instructors why he didn't bring his Pete to the conference as he seemed really impressed with it. In all of the excitment I counted 6 or 7 MDT's including of couple of M2's & 2L which are really impressive next to the herd of lower weight class trucks in the parking lot. I can't wait to see some of these Class 6-7 trucks up close during open house after tomorrow's last session is over ... I hope to sit in one or two!

We are also planning to attend the 2007 HDT rally in Wichita, KS in September ... I hope our class C rental isn't too embarressing, but it should be fun to compare the nice roomy 5ers at the rally with our little class C rental ... should make quite an impression on both of us. icon_cool.gif

David & Sheila Knapp

Crestone, CO

David, Sheila, & Stella the Beagle

SKP#95866 - Full-timing since 2008

GPAA/LDMA and Colorado Prospectors Life Members, NRA Life Member

Amateur Ham callsigns: KU9L & KB9YYI, Life ARRL Members

'12 Lance 1181 truck camper "Redneck Motorhome"

'12 Ford F-350SD 4x4 DRW crew-cab "Sedona" w/Firestone airbags, Power Tank, PressurePro TPMS, Garmin GPS

'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Red Rocks" w/Blue Ox tow-bar

'93 Fleetwood Oak Park seasonally in SW FL.

• 3 weeks later...

we've been members for 6mths, but have been lurking for a year. By viewing the different forums we have learned a great deal in making our decision to purchase an HDT. Just last week my husband returned from Oregon with a 2001 Volvo 610, 10 speed autoshift (what a pleasure) 465 volvo motor. We are very happy with our purchase and DNISPDX was a pleasure to deal with. We are now "Happy campers" an hope to meet fellow members in the near future. We are planning to go to Stockton in April.