Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

8 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Hello everyone, My wife Licia and I, have purchased a 2006 Volvo VNL 780, registered it in Florida as a  Motorhome and begun the process of adding a flat deck to the rear to carry my Jeep.   In Florida we are limited to bumper pull, so we have purchased a new to us 28 foot Coachman FREEDOM Express 280 RLS pull behind.  (emphasis on the Freedom:)

We look forward to this adventure and meeting others who have gone on before us.  I have had the very special privilege of talking to Mr. Henry, and e-mailing Miss Davena, if these folks are any indication on how the rest of the group treats new folks, I would say my wife and I have found a very special club.

Thank you,

Michael & Licia (pronounced Lish-Ahh) Parr

We will post up a photo or two once I get my IT team, I mean my Teenage son to shrink the pictures to the appropriate KB size.

Hello from Texas and welcome. Nice red truck but I have to ask why are you limited to a bumper pull in FL?

Richard

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been lurking for awhile now and did pull the trigger on a HDT, have been working on it cleaning and learning all i can about it, ordered an ET Senior the other day. the truck is allready set up with the Jackalopee system. I have a air leak to track down, its not bad but it annoys me that it leaks.

1807149847_ttt(2).jpg.6cff49f1b120fc5a137a9080c3c97236.jpg

2004 Volvo VNL 780

2017 Momentum 376TH

2007 Harley Davidson FLHTC

2009 Smart4two

On 3/16/2017 at 4:17 AM, Quickthrotl said:

I have been lurking for awhile now and did pull the trigger on a HDT, have been working on it cleaning and learning all i can about it, ordered an ET Senior the other day. the truck is allready set up with the Jackalopee system. I have a air leak to track down, its not bad but it annoys me that it leaks.

Welcome to the board.

The guy that taught me how to drive trucks used to say "Never let an air leak go without fixing it, BUT, if it stops leakin, be very afraid!"

lol

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

1 hour ago, Quickthrotl said:

I will defiantly be repairing the leak or leaks

I hope that's a typo.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 3 weeks later...

Can you share any photos of your project?  How did you license it, motorhome, commercial truck or other?  I assume you maintain a CDL to operate it?

Thank you.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

• 2 weeks later...

Own a 13,500lb Montana, towed by a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500.  Thinking about retiring and full timing in the next 3 years.  Want to get an HDT to carry a 4 wheel drive, street legal golf cart and build a custom storage cabinet behind the cab.

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

2 hours ago, Brad NSW said:

Own a 13,500lb Montana, towed by a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500.  Thinking about retiring and full timing in the next 3 years.  Want to get an HDT to carry a 4 wheel drive, street legal golf cart and build a custom storage cabinet behind the cab.

Welcome Brad!

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

17 hours ago, Brad NSW said:

Welcome aboard!

We are taking our HDT to get a DROM box behind the sleeper. Should be happening the end of May. Plan is 7' tall 6' wide 16" deep. We carry a 2013 smart and drag a 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire.

"RINGO" 2005 VOLVO 670 D12 465hp/Freedomline Transmission 3.42 w/locker and smart car bed.

By Gregg Shields at RVHAULERS

“Penny Lane” 2018 DRV HOUSTON

"ABBEY" 2013 smart for-two Passion

"Tilly" Irish Wolfhound/lab mix  ( Good Memories)

On 4/23/2017 at 4:02 PM, Piedmontexpress said:

Welcome aboard!

We are taking our HDT to get a DROM box behind the sleeper. Should be happening the end of May. Plan is 7' tall 6' wide 16" deep. We carry a 2013 smart and drag a 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire.

We will build a couple of those identical droms at the same time.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, rwlslider said:

RVer for a couple of years now, looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel Toy Hauler.

I like the idea of a HDT and am looking for info on the subject. 

First off, welcome to the site! Secondly, you are in the right place to learn about HDT's

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Hello everyone!  New guy here. 

I thought I would go ahead and register for the forum. 

I love big trucks and I cannot lie.  :D

I have lurked on and off for a couple of years and have enjoyed reading about the HDT, their conversions and their uses.

While my wife and I do not camp, we like the idea of it.  We've been a few times with friends that had a fiver before they moved.  I love the idea of having an HDT rig pull a nice fiver.  I've been checking out commercial truck trader and truck paper on-line looking at what I think I would like to have.  We went to a local sales office last year and got an initial novice look at a Volvo 780 and a Pete 387.  This may stay in the dream / planning stage for a while but I intend to learn about the trucks and conversions.

So, in the meantime, I will enjoy your stories, absorb what I can and make sure I don't buy a truck with a hole in the floor.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim
Noob entertaining the idea of an HDT and 5'ver.
I like big trucks and I cannot lie...  :)

• 5 months later...

Towing my triple axle toy hauler 7,000 miles cross country over the past summer (with my 7.3L F350)  has taught me that I am in desperate need of an HDT.  And most importantly , my wife agrees!

20 mph up hill on the highways of Wyoming, motor screaming at 60 mph (when we were lucky enough to have a long flat road), exhaust temps rising, front trans seal toasted (thanks Big Horn Mountains), stiff front leaf springs on the truck, the list could go on.

Our plan is to visit all 50 states as a family, and we are up to 46.  We are missing Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and Hawaii.  Since we are both teachers, we have all summer to travel, and we do!  But now we'll do it in an HDT, at 65 mph! How decadent!  We would like to take the yet to be found HDT to Alaska via Washington and Oregon (From NY), so we can cross out those 3 states.

I'm learning a lot on this site!

Hal from Long Island
2000 Volvo 770, Cummings N14, 10 Speed Eaton Auto-Shift
2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420 AMP Toy Hauler

rsz_1rsz_1both22.png

24 minutes ago, Tackleberry said:

Towing my triple axle toy hauler 7,000 miles cross country over the past summer (with my 7.3L F350)  has taught me that I am in desperate need of an HDT.  And most importantly , my wife agrees!

20 mph up hill on the highways of Wyoming, motor screaming at 60 mph (when we were lucky enough to have a long flat road), exhaust temps rising, front trans seal toasted (thanks Big Horn Mountains), stiff front leaf springs on the truck, the list could go on.

Our plan is to visit all 50 states as a family, and we are up to 46.  We are missing Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and Hawaii.  Since we are both teachers, we have all summer to travel, and we do!  But now we'll do it in an HDT, at 65 mph! How decadent!  We would like to take the yet to be found HDT to Alaska via Washington and Oregon (From NY), so we can cross out those 3 states.

I'm learning a lot on this site!

There is just what you are looking for in the RVs Tows and Toad For Sale forum! BTW, welcome to the forum!

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Another newbie - really want to have a HDT to tow current and future heavier TH.  Would love to have an affordable Volvo 780.  Thought I had one, till I found Florida is not friendly to HDT owners....guess I need to wait until I return to Colorado?

Great information here and I've learned a lot.....

2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
2020 Momentum 376THS
We're both proud USAF Retirees...

• 5 weeks later...

Getting ready to go full time and realizing our 2008 F-350 6.4 king ranch dually just is not gonna cut it with just our 15k 5er. In our learning curve, learning our rig is best for occasional trips, but not continued use. After all it is a light duty truck (LDT) with a max gross weight of 13k. (Gonna have to put our 3 cats on a diet).

What is with the knee jerk reaction we seem to get when mentioning MDT and being told HDT is the only way to go? We are simply looking for information on options. MDT seems to cover class 5 and class 6 (and a few stray into 7) and HDT is class 7 and 8. HDT seems to be converted over the road tractors that get remade into rv haulers.

What we are looking for is a class 6 or maybe a 7 MDT crewcab. Want roughly same length as our dually, but better turning radius. Full air ride suspension so long runs are again enjoyable. Not interested in taller HDT or longer HDT. We want to be able to use rig for shopping and sightseeing - and carry passengers. Automatic is a must. 4x4 would be nice, but harder to find. Reason for a class 6 is higher gross weights and more power. Pre DEF or fully deleted would be nice. 

Looks like final a few manufacturers saw the niche and began making MDT rv haulers specifically and that pushed the big rig advocates out of that niche and into the current HDT niche. Don’t get me wrong, love the HDT and the idea of making one, but at this time of my life, all I want is something that will meet our needs comfortably and not need a lot of on going tweaking or remodeling. Not interested in hauling a car, not interested in having to worry about cab height, not interesting in something that won’t be easy to use for shopping, sightseeing or taking family with us. So, while we appreciate the passion of HDT owners, instead of trying to push us where we are not ready to go, how about respecting our needs and simply help us sort through all the marketing hype and zero in on specific models and what to watch for? BTW - also don’t want to hear about horse people ruining the MDT market - that is opinion, not fact. What changed the MDT market was makers waking up to a niche that was growing. Sadly there are some lower end MDTs that should not exist, but that happens as niches mature. That is why we are looking for class 6 and up.

Any help, suggestions, leads on rigs would be greatly appreciated. No disrespect meant to HDT folks - love and respect what you are doing. Just asking for same respect for our needs and decisions. Thanks in advance - looking forward to seeing you n the road.

Bill