Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

I'm coming off an absolutely TERRIBLE day, yesterday. I went down to the Jersey shore to take a look at 2ready2roll's Volvo 630 that is for sale...just to look, (someone is going to get themselves one sweet truck.) Not quite ready for an HDT but I'm absolutely convinced that this is the safest and best route for us to take. Came home and spoke to my DW about the truck and she said, "We will NEVER buy a truck that big!" I'm planning on attending the East Coast Rally with her to talk with more HDT folks but I certainly hope that yesterday's experience isn't a harbinger of things to come.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry spindrift. She'll come around. For sure attend one of the rally's. And take one (or two) for a drive with her. A few minutes rolling down the road is all it will take.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

"We will NEVER buy a truck that big!"

Spindrift,

Have her spend some time with my wife at the ECR and she may have a change of heart. My wife loves traveling in our Volvo and would be very disappointed to go back to a smaller vehicle. When I did my research and suggested an HDT she had that "deer in a headlight look" but that quickly changed to a grin.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

When I did my research and suggested an HDT she had that "deer in a headlight look" but that quickly changed to a grin.

Let's hope this is the case as my DW is of Scottish heritage. ;)

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

Let's hope this is the case as my DW is of Scottish heritage. ;)

Mine too so they are persuadable, lol.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Some people will never come around to the use of an HDT. It is an emotional "blockage"....not based on reason or logic. In some cases it becomes a "power struggle" in a relationship. If either of those cases are true, then you will not win that battle. The best you can do is as you have planned. Introduce her to other WOMEN - not men - who can give her insight into use of an HDT. Then see how it goes. Also, you have to figure out her fears and resistance points so that you can respond to them. Not everyone is honest in sharing why the "don't like" an HDT, so sometimes that is a challenge.

Come down to Tampa for the RV show and Danielle would be happy to talk to her. That would be a nice winter "vacation".

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Come down to Tampa for the RV show and Danielle would be happy to talk to her. That would be a nice winter "vacation".

Jack...thanks for the offer. We'll have to see what the calendar has in store for us.

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For someone who thought they read through ALL of the HDT forum, I somehow missed this post until stumbling across a link to it elsewhere.

I'm a 40-something guy working at Microsoft In Redmond, WA, and I've had the itch to drive a truck since I was perhaps three years old. I've got some classic books from when I started to read, talking about Big Al's Trailer Truck, and such. While I was in college, I got my CDL class A with tank and double/triple-trailer endorsement. I've never driven professionally, but I've put it to use for several years as a volunteer FF/EMT while living in Texas. I've got a long way until retirement, but BIG plans nonetheless, and I'm intending to get into the HDT/RV world in a rather unique sequence compared to most of you:

1) In perhaps two years, sell my "extra" vehicle, a 2001 Ford Excursion, which we use to haul our gorgeous tandem bicycle, and get an HDT. It'll probably be a Volvo 780: Volvo so Mrs. Peety will be willing to drive it occasionally, and a 780 so there are lower windows on the sleeper box and I can use the workstation area for extra people at times. I'll drive the HDT to work 1-2 times per week, just because I can. I'm thinking I'll put an APU on the rig, so I can keep the cab cool while I'm at work.

2) We'll rent a 5er now and then for certain adventures, but more often than not, we'll just go do things in the HDT that we couldn't do in a car/SUV (or the Excursion), like take our two dachshunds with us on road trips or even just be able to go to a bicycle ride and have the convenience of a cooled cab when we finish the ride, and a place to change out of bike clothes with headroom AND privacy.

3) After I win the lottery, or if I can truly get ahead of my retirement savings efforts, I'll go purchase (brand-new) my dream truck, a sparkle blue Kenworth W900L with an 86" Studio Sleeper, a 600HP Cummins, and an 18-speed automated Eaton. After that's happily on the road, I'll work with Featherlite to build a 53' travel trailer with a master bedroom over the kingpin, who knows how many slide-outs for the living/sleeping areas, and a ~18' car carriage area on the back of the trailer either over or under a "bunkhouse" area for the kids (who haven't been created just yet, but soon). I do plan to register this rig as commercial to enjoy the longer length laws available to me.

So for now, I'm just soaking up all that I can on HDT conversions, and saving my bonuses and such with a target of October 2016 for a HDT. I might leave it tandem with commercial fifth-wheel for easier resale, but we'll see what comes of it. My wife and I are into bicycling, with a rather custom daVinci tandem that allows either person to coast; nonetheless it's probably the most teched-out tandem out there. We're also into photography, sometimes spending $1000 or more to rent extra photo gear to take along on various cruises.

Anyhow, that's the basics of "me". I'm really looking forward to contributing what little I can, and soaking up what everyone else brings to the forum. Hi!

Peety welcome to the forum. You will find it a pretty friendly place and you should learn enough to stay in "trouble", so to speak.

A comment on your dream truck.....in RV or non-commercial heavy haul use the 18 speed is not necessary. Stick to the lower geared trucks and you will be far happier. The 600 hp is very cool, but again not necessary. Of course, I'm running a turned down D16 so I'm with you on the "more is better". Mine is down to 515hp. That is WAY, WAY more than enough. And my trailer is 28K lbs.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Yup, I confess to being a lurker too.

I like Peetys 18 speed, but if I'm going to have that many gears it's gotta be a standard.

I got my cdl to haul corn during harvest for a friend a few years back.

Family members have driven trucks for years, and I don't like people telling me i couldn't do something because I had no license. So I got one.

After I win the lotto:

I hope to build my trailer similar to a moving van trailer to allow for stacking car parking system with lots of slides. and plan to pull it with my Pete 359 with the turboed 12-71 jimmy.

Maybe a two stick tranny instead of the 18 speed.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

. . .and plan to pull it with my Pete 359 with the turboed 12-71 jimmy.

Better look into a pintle hook on the back of your fiver so that you can double tow a fuel tanker to feed that hungry "buzzin' dozen", but it sure will be singing a pretty song while it polishes off that load of fuel!

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Peety welcome to the forum. You will find it a pretty friendly place and you should learn enough to stay in "trouble", so to speak.

A comment on your dream truck.....in RV or non-commercial heavy haul use the 18 speed is not necessary. Stick to the lower geared trucks and you will be far happier. The 600 hp is very cool, but again not necessary. Of course, I'm running a turned down D16 so I'm with you on the "more is better". Mine is down to 515hp. That is WAY, WAY more than enough. And my trailer is 28K lbs.

If I do a 53' Featherlite trailer with "nice" interior furnishings, a granite shower, and a toy hauler bay big enough for a Mercedes E-Class or possibly an S-Class, my rig will gross at least 65k if not somewhere in the 70k range. I think that 600 will come in handy, as will the 18-speed. This is going to be a true high-cube trailer: it'll be 13'6" tall from tip to tail, 8'6" wide from floor to ceiling, and the luggage bays and tanks will use up the underbelly space pretty well.

Also, having lived in Texas and with in-laws living there, I'm almost certain we'll be popping through to visit. My vision is to gear it so 15th (7D aka true direct-drive) puts the engine in its sweet spot for 60mph (max legal speed for big trucks in WA state), but 16th might put the sweet spot around 65mph, 17th might be right around 70, and 18th might be around 75mph, so I at least have a chance of tickling 85mph on TX 130 someday. I know it's a six of one vs. half-dozen of the other, but I believe that direct drive is going to be more efficient than overdrive ratios. Admittedly, I was a Caterpillar fan for years, right up until I discovered that they exited the highway engine market. Their sweet spot was 1350...now I'm seeing that the new Volvo engines are happy down to 1050, which may completely disrupt my concepts of ideal gearing.

Being the math geek that I am, I looked up the trans specs and color me surprised: splitter gear is actually an underdrive not an overdrive (which now that I think about it, makes sense). So...16th (direct drive) is 7D for the old-school folks, but if 16th is set up for 60mph, 17th works out to 69mph and 18th works out to 82mph in the sweet spot, which is fairly convenient anyway. OK, time to stop dreaming and start sleeping for the night...or...

• 5 months later...

I've been following the site and learning all that I can for several months now. What a great, helpful group of folks!

My wife and I have bought a 2009 Volvo 780 which is now being converted. We are very happy about the possibilities and capabilities of this rig. I'm an avid photographer and dog lover and my wife and I can't wait to get out on the road.

• 3 weeks later...

My name is Skyler. I'm responding to the self introduction request.

I'm a 60 year old electrician currently living in the san fran area. I'm single with a sheltie as a side kick. My house is on the market. I'm pulling the plug and getting out of dodge. The over inflated value of my house will provide enough money to acquire a rig and have a nice cushion to live on. After a lifetime of working as an electrician, I could probably find work anywhere should I decide I need to work. Everybody needs electricity and almost everybody is afraid of it (or they should be)

I've always been an avid street biker (the only way to fly around here). I was one of the first MC drivers ed instructors certified in the state. Splitting traffic is a way of life around here. I acquired a retired CHP BMW for that express purpose. Helmet cam youtube link of insanity available upon request. It's legal in California and I've always taken full advantage of it.

I've been researching becoming a full timer since I decided to pull the plug about 6 months ago. I have a fair amount of trailer towing experience and during a midlife crisis lived on the Klamath river in a tent for 4 months running a suction dredge so I know I have the ability to live as a full timer. A nice 5er has to be better than the two tents I occupied for 4 months.

Doing my research, I stumbled on to the concept of the HDT. I have a cummins dodge 2500 but it doesn't have the capacity to tow what I need/want. I figured I'd upgrade to a cummins 1 ton. Now that I've read what I've read, I'm rethinking that whole logic string.

As soon as the house sells, I'll be relocating to the foothills temporarily with the plan to become an Oregon resident prior to blowing the big bucks on a rig. I've already secured a permanent address in rogue river to facilitate that move.

Your eyes have probably glazed over by this point so I'll stop talking about myself. If there are any questions, I'll gladly respond...

Welcome Snickdriver and Merrkin (Sklyer).

Hope you can make it one of the rallies. They are very helpful.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Hello,

We've been lurking on here for a while but since we bought a 2011 Volvo 780 recently, I thought I ought to make an introduction. My husband Ran is in the home stretch to retirement and the kids are grown. We plan to put the house on the market in February and hope to be on the road by late spring of next year. We plan on ordering a DRV fifth wheel at the end of this year for our full time home.

We will see some of you at the HDT Rally next month and look forward to learning a lot. Thanks!

Welcome Ran n Jo,

Have a fun trip to the Rally. It will be information overload but lots of fun too. We can't make it this year but hope to be at the East Coast Rally in the spring.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

• 2 weeks later...

hello

my name is unclebuck been a lurker for 3 or 4 years i entered the dark side two years ago with a 2001 volvo .semi retired out of the trades,looking forward to traveling with my DW of 37 years. our goal is visiting all 50 states with no hurry to get there.thanks to all for this forum.

post-53408-0-45560600-1442764341_thumb.jpg