Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

Hi Folks I'm new to computer game ,just found your sight. I've had a 5er for several years but nothing to pull it.it's a 36 ft alfa gold 1999 , my 2500 silverado aint it. I came across what i thought was a good deal. A 1980 mercedes L1116 ,with a 352-A motor . I've got $100 in it so far. But before I go and start a tear down do you folk think i't worth the trouble? Thanks Love this site

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be considered a lurker. I'm not in the market for an HDT or MDT but this is my industry. I manage the TrailerSaver air-ride hitch division of Hensley Mfg. and I talk to MDT/HDT people all day long. I am now making an attempt to read these forums and see what people are discussing, as this helps me keep a pulse of the industry. If anybody has any questions I can be of help with feel free to ask.

Thanks for letting me lurk.

Aaron Grayhek

Hensley Mfg., Inc.

TrailerSaver Division

aaron@hensleymfg.com

(800) 410-6580 Ext. 104

I guess I count as an HDT lurker.

I got into this site when our kids got old enough to RV more. Almost an escapees member, but the Chapter I was nearest wasn't as family oriented as they said they were.

Planning the upcoming retirement(its still a couple of years off - but I want to be ready) and working towards figuring out the perfect truck. DW has knee/hip issues have made a large number of trucks too tall (ie to far to climb up). But I have test driven some different units over the years and have been building up my "purchasing checklist"

I provide comments in the random forums when my OTR experience can be of use. I am normally a Military Aviator, but I try to gear and steer for my sanity breaks.

03 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab, CTD, 6 spd(which the wife has given me permission to replace)
in between trailers while dealing with Cancer keeping eye out for fifth wheel with garage for motorcycles

Hi Radman!

Since you two have joined the dark side,Ijust got mine, (T2) for Christmass. YEE HAA! Anyway, as I make my way threw the different threads I'v been keeping track of the No.s and names of T2owners. I'm up to ( 13 ) so far. I don't know over all how many Kemworth owners there are?

roadfitter

2000 T2000 10sp. autoshift DD500hp. 2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

Hello-

I guess I am a "lurker" too. I have a 2008 Freightliner M2-106 extended cab on order which will fall into the class 6 range @ 25,500# GVW. I also have a 2008 Renegage 36' 5th wheel trailer coming which will haul 3 cars.

I own and operate an auto transport business. I dont live in my truck, nor do I consider it an RV, but I have used this site for information. Thank you to all who have posted their reviews/opinions/comments.... I certainly do appreciate your experiences.

Bill Reiss

• 3 weeks later...

I've been "lurking" for about 2 years. I should be joining the full time and HDT group in about 8 years. Until then I camp as much as I can in my 30 ft trailer and learn as much as I can. I do have a lot of knowlege about trucks because in my previous life I spent 20 years driving and teaching others to drive. I logged a little over 1.2 million miles.

dave

Dave,

Welcome aboard. The pool of knowledge and experience available on this forum continues to grow. Don't be shy about offering opinions just because you don't currently have an HDT pulling your rig. Most of what you taught about pulling commercial trailers is applicable to our situations as well.

Jess

Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian.
- Robert Orben

2001 Volvo 610, Cummins N14;10 speed; ET Hitch
2007 KZ New Vision Sportster 37FK;
1992 TourGlide Ultra w/ California Sidecar
NRA Life Member

I am a lurker and I know that I need something bigger than what I have. After explaining the safety features of owning a MDT/HDT to my wife she still is not convinced. We are fulltimers and with a little luck we will continue to be safe but not without the white knuckles from time to time.

Tom, you need to bring her to a rally, or just meet up with another fulltimer with a Volvo/HDT. Where are you now? We are in North Ranch. She may never be convinced, but it would be good to have all the data available before deciding.

If I can help, let me know.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack, we just missed you. We were at North Ranch 2 days ago. I think we also saw you rig at Dream Catcher but you were gone the next morning. We are headed to Seattle for the summer and will be buying an HDT and giving up our MDT. There's just something about the difference in payments. I was an HDT mechanic for years and drove for almost 3 million miles so I have a clue and am looking forward to the change. Sorry we missed each other. Guess we should have driven around the park like the wife wanted to.......Dave

Jack, We are in the RGV, Donna, Tx. We do have a friend (Seamo) that has a Volvo and I was with him when he brought his generator that he sold to Retama Village. I thought the rally was for owners only but I see that is not the case. I will keep pushing, prodding, showing the DW all the PRO's of a HDT over what we have now.

Kayerivercity, Thanks for the invite/use of your rig but the weather will have to be much warmer before I head to Cinci. May be up that way in July or somewhere around there.

Tom & Judy,

You are welcome to come over to Retama Village in Mission and look at my truck. I'm sure any of the other HDT'ers here would show you theirs if asked.

We usually have a few of us get together at 4 for Happy hour just about everyday except friday's.

I'll be here until March 1.

Mark

Mark & Diane
Fulltimers class of 2018
2007 43' Space Craft - "Just Weight"
*Space Craft Evangelist*
2002 Volvo 770 - "Optimus Prime"
CEO VeloBene Bicycle Products, Inc.
www.RVNomad.com
SKP #91357 Lifetime

Hi Tom,

We actually met when Bob delivered the generator. I would take Mark up on his offer. I think Mark Bruss might still be there, as is Lary and Linda. Do an early happy hour/HDT info session.....perfect opportunity.

If you want to come over to Moab/Arches NP March/April, or Woodland Park CO any time this summer let me know and you and DW can sit with us and talk, drive our truck, etc. Definitely plan on the HDT rally in OCT. Even if you don't end up with an HDT it will be worth it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I'm a lurker, I read the posts and look at the pics and follow up on some posters personal websites and or pic sites, although I own a truck collision/weld/fab repair facility and am a avid fulltimer with two fifth wheels, I still just lurk here. Lots of good quality info and a sincere fellowship of guys helping guys getting it done, impressive to say the least.

There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.

• 1 month later...

First post. I sent a down payment on a 94 Pete this week. Not planning on singleing or any major changes. I needed a tv for a 20,000 lb. boat/trailer combination. I won't have to worry too much about the engine condition on a truck with 1,000,000+ miles. It is scheduled for an in-frame the day after purchase. The purchase price is equal to a paid move for the boat, it sounds even to me.

Hey we've been found out,, oh well I 've been lurking for quite some time now,,just reading all the stuff you guys and gals come up with,,, I have an old 1974 White cabover/sleeper,290 comealongw/5&2 single rearaxe and standard 5th ,, been thinking maybe change to RV 5th when I get my toy hauler,,right now have a 30ft,Terry Trailer but still have with it.. thanks for all the imfo..Trailrjack@aol.com

This is my second post in less than 3 days! I've been following this particular group for over a year--just trying to soak up info.

I'm about 4yrs away from retirment/full-timing. Maybe less, if I keep running into the fine HDT folks my wife and I met at The Rally (Perry, GA). I'm still having to say to myself, "Take a deep breath...relax...only a few more years before you start buying!" Meanwhile, I'm researching.

Raymond

Raymond (G8r.Ray; i.e., Gator Ray) & Janet
Grinnin' ear-to-ear, since 2012-03-14

2005 Volvo 630 Motor Coach,

VE D12 465hp/1650lb-ft, 12 sp FreedomLine (2-Peddle),
217in WB, smart car deck/bed by Toterman, Pressure Pro,
PowerTank, Crossfire (dual tire pressure equilizer)

2006 smart forTwo Passion (450, Gen I), Ruby Red/Silver
2008 smart forTwo Passion (451, Gen II), Blue/Black
2009 DRV Mobile Suites 36RS3

• 4 months later...

yeah, i'm another one that doesn't have a seat around the camp fire yet. i'm happy to be standing in the outer circles and feeling the warmth. at my age and circumstances, fulltiming is something of interest and an hdt is certainly to be considered, always have liked the big toys. not only is this forum informative, it is extremely entertaining and a real pleasure to see the bond that you folks have. good bunch of people . . . yeah that means geof also

gas money, maps, suitcase and shipwreck museum coffee mug

started out with nothing . . . still have most of it left