Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all, I have been soaking up knowledge from this very informative group for about a year and a half. While we do not have an HDT or trailer right now we are looking. We are currently working in the Bahamas and looking forward to hitting the road in 2 or 3 years. I have started my note books and files for future reference. I would like to thank all those who have learned the hard way and are willing to share with complete strangers. By sharing with everyone it makes the road a lot easier for us. Thanks again, Larry C. :)

Hi Jim & Martha here we have a 2001 770 for the last year . But for the last year have nothing but trouble from the autoshift first we had a X Y shifted but in about 30 days ago a new clutch oh big bucks and still it is not shifting right it gets up to operating temperature . it acts like it is looking for a gear but can't find one step on the fuel and nothing . would like to do some traveling but , no fun with it acting up . stuck in town with a sick autoshift Jim

Edited by JIM & MARTHA

Jim

Welcome to the board Jim and Martha! Wish things were going better with your rig... how many miles? Eaton will give you good tech assistance via their hotline. I don't have their number handy, but if you post a new post titled "Autoshift problems" or something, and asked for the reference I'm sure someone would dig it up for you. Also check the Resource Guide sticky at the top of the forum, I'll bet their tech assistance number is listed in it as well.

Best luck,

Cal

2005 Volvo VNL 42 630

Been lurking around here for awhile and thought it was about time to say 'Hi' We have about a year before retirement finally arrives and have a 26' Hideout TT and a heavy 1/2T Chevy truck to tow it with. The 1700 Yamaha RoadStar gets to ride in the back of the truck. We just bought the trailer and the truck will do the job but sure has to work at it. The numbers are all ok and it's safe enough, but it'd sure be nice to have more truck to make the job easy. With the poor gas mileage we get while towing,(and not towing), a HDT looks pretty darned good.

What is the typical MPG on those rigs? Sounds like everyones towing 5th wheels. That would probably be somewhere in the future.

I have the bug.

b of blt

:lol: blt ..most of us live in the 8mpg range ....some get better some a little lower .....But there is lots of pulling and stopping power with these rigs ....plus they are very smooth and quite in the ride .....good luck with your venture and welcome to the board ....Jim

Jim&Hazel,03 Volvo 610,425hp,10sp Autoshift,Eaton 3:90 rear,24.5Alum,184"wb,ET jr/air hitch,SafVis Cams4,XM,Press/Pro,Garmin2720,CB,Rally Sport/TS,Bigfoot Levelers,03Roadking,02Dyna Lowrider,Golden Ret in spirit,Choc Lab(Trash)..Herrin Hauler Bed..Toyota FJ ...SKP# 95463 http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2901871210078354682lLxYIz .Laissez les Bon Temps Roulez ....

• 2 months later...

Hi to everyone: I've lurking on the Escapee site for about two years now, forever reading all the information I can get on HDT's. Being from Saskatchewan, Canada there's not much more to due during the winter :D . I've convinced my wife that we need an HDT :blink: (picked a Volvo) and now we're looking at the different models (610/660/770). Of course my wife would like to see the sleepers in each before we come to a final decision. Right now we're sitting at Quartzsite and would like to look at the different models if they're around. So if there are any close by please reply if we can see them. Greg and Christine.

2001 Volvo 660, 10 spd.A/S, N14 Cummins

2006 Cedar Creek Silverback "Snowflake"

2000 HD 1200 Sportster, 2001 Softail Standard

Greg, Christine and "Nana" the cat

Dieselpuller... Welcome to the forum. Hanging out here is a great step in working your way to an HDT. I know there are a few people with HDTs that are planning on being in Quartzsite sometime this season and I'm sure they will pop in here. While I'm not in Quartzsite, I am about 85 miles east of you right down I-10 and 2 miles south. I have a 670 which is the same depth sleeper as the 610/630 models, just about 3 foot taller. The 770/780 models are the same height as mine but about 13 inches deeper. That extra depth is mainly used in the size of the cabinets but does allow extra room if converting the interior. If a max size sleeper is high on your priority list, the 770/780 model is the way to go. With that said, if you've got nothing to do sometime, drop on by and I'll give you a tour and a demo ride of a 670.

Ray

Ray & Nancy H.
2004 Volvo VNL-670; Cummins ISX 500hp/1650tq; Autoshift; 3:55 Rear Gears, Custom Bed wT/S Air Hitch
2010 39' Raptor Velocity Toyhauler.
2013 Fiat 500 Turbo
2012 Can-Am Commander 1000
2012 Can-Am Renegade 1000

Hi Ray:

Thanks for the invite. We travel to Pheonix to visit relatives who are also snowbirds. We would love to stop and visit/tour your rig. I will send you a PM when the time comes.

Again, thank you

Edited by Dieselpuller

2001 Volvo 660, 10 spd.A/S, N14 Cummins

2006 Cedar Creek Silverback "Snowflake"

2000 HD 1200 Sportster, 2001 Softail Standard

Greg, Christine and "Nana" the cat

• 3 weeks later...

Bump times are getting shorter, LOL!

"Newer" lurkers are missing Dan's semi-official Lurker thread.

Jon - maybe this - or other - Lurker (some kind of - "Introduce yourself!") could be a stickey.

BTW - Lurkers: Nice informative HDT thread running on RV Net in the fifth wheel forum.

(Enter: "HDT" in search box there)

Be sure to check the Resource Guide here.

JC

Good idea JC, I'll finish up after I eat dinner......

That is All......

Edited by 5th_Wheeler
>> Done Deal <<

Jon
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . JonMary-ImprintMTShadow.jpg
. . 
Bodacious "aKa" BigBig ~ 2000 Turquoise Metallic VNL770
.  2003 6.0L C.C. DRW F-350. .    Dang Kid's - & - Their Toys. .                                1998 34' Citation Fifth Wheel

339121917.jpg

• 1 month later...

OK Guys, Are the OLD EYES decieving me? WHEN and Where is the HDT rally this year. Seems we are about ready to make the somewhat large move..from a pop up to a HDT/Fiver or a Renegade/Car Hauler type and are looking to "go to school". We drove a couple this last weekend and as soon as the DW found the air horn cable, as they say the rest was history. As the shoulders and kneeds get a little stiffer seems like time to find a few more "comforts" in life. Any suggestions on the two would be appreciated. We are now in our 60s getting close to that magic date when "full time" work is nothing but a memory...and with the current economy...it might not be a fond memory...but that is another story. Guess we have about decided to spend what we have and if we run out of $$ then Uncle Barrack can support us :)

Pete

I've been a casual lurker here for a couple years. Retired and went fulltime last year, in my MH.

Thanks to a month spent on Jack's lot at Retama, admiring all the great HDT's down there, I got inspired.

I just bought my first HDT and I'm waiting on delivery of a new to me Volvo 610 and Teton Frontier.

I'm sure I'll have a whole list of dumb questions.

(for now I'm keeping the MH as a backup for shorter trips)

Jim

Jim

Nice going, Jim.

And you are welcome back any time to Retama. Oct-Dec is open on that lot or our personal lot.....

I'll be interest in what you do with your Volvo.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

GOOD LUCK Jim. Continue to keep me posted by email..................Hope I can see your new rig before I go back to SD. If not, I sure want to see it up there!!!!!

Regards

Mike

Mike & Pat McFall SKP # 40224

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift

2005 Teton 45' Grand Reliance

PressurePro Tire Monitor Dealer

PressurePro System

Mike and Pat's Travels

Tripod Website

Here goes my first post, have been a lurker for about 3 weeks now.

There is so much to learn, but this seems to be a good place to learn it.

Don't really know much about big trucks, so the learning curve will be

rather steep. But I do know that my 95 3/4 dodge 4x4 cummins 5spd

is way to small to handle the 95 london aire we bought 18 months ago.

Six weeks ago I discovered a truck show in ky for the middle of march.

Figured it would be a good place to start gathering some knowledge.

Is anyone familiar with this event?

----------------------------------------

John and Darcy

1995 Dodge 2500, 4x4, 5.9 Cummins, 5 spd Manual

1995 Newmar London Aire, 36RLDK, Disk Brakes

Welcome to the forum! That London Aire sure is a load for a 3/4 ton Goat! There are a few members here who visit the

truck shows and I am sure that they will chime in. Feel free to ask any and ALL the questions no matter how insignificant

you may think they are, you WILL get an answer. Do you have any idea what you may be looking for? Start a thread and lets find out :rolleyes:

Do NOT send me a PM, Cliick HERE to email me!

In considering a truck like that you need to ask yourself just how much you enjoy meeting new people, such as tow truck drivers and heavy truck mechanics?

Or perhaps, enjoying the great outdoors, like the side of the road while waiting to meet those exciting people?

I have been lurking for a few weeks now and this is my first post. I recently bought a 94 volvo and am in the process of upfitting with a bed. Its slow going working by myself but I am excited about progress and cant wait to hook to the trailer( 38' New Horizon Sporster toyhauler). I have several progress pictures I want to post when i get a minute.

Greetings,

I've been lurking here for around a year now. The amicability of everyone on this site is impressive, unlike some of the confrontations that I've seen over at RV.NET. I enjoy reading about the rigs, the modifications and lifestyles of HDT owners.

With a good twelve years before I become eligible to retire from my day job, getting my own HDT is a ways off. Our family isn't spending enough days RV'ing to justify economically the purchase of an HDT as a single-purpose vehicle. However, I do spend some quality "In My Head" time while going down the freeway looking at the various Class 8 rigs and thinking in terms of which ones would work well for pulling our trailer.

Our day will come. For now, dreaming and scheming will have to do.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are looking at going fulltime once she retires :D . In doing this I have been looking at using a HDT to tow our (new) trailer which will be much heavier than the one we have now. I have been looking at the HDT's on this forum and have been getting a lot of ideas for what to do when I start to convert a truck to do the tow job. The only problem that I am having is with the wife. She wants to talk to other wifes of HDT owners before she will commit to the truck. If we can get a place at the campground for the East coast rally we are going to view all the HDT's and talk to owners.

Ed

Ed, I would try to get to the Hutchinson Rally as well. Lots of opportunity to drive trucks, and there are activities for the ladies, as well as seminars on various topics. It is more of an educational rally. The East Coast Rally is more of a social rally, without seminars. David - correct me if I'm wrong. COnsider it an investment - there are hotels if you need them and we welcome all.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I currently have a Phaeton RV pulling an enclosed trailer for dirt bike racing. I am interested in changing over to a 40 ft or so Toy Hauler 5th wheel and either a MDT or HDT to pull with. My father in law drives otr trucks for a living and he has a Volvo 770 and loves it. I don't have the time nor the desire to convert a commercial truck so I am looking for a buy and drive ready truck. I really have enjoyed researching here, you guys are very knowledgable. Just trying now to talk wife into HDT, she is leary of driving one.

Brian and Brandy Robertson

2005 Volvo 670, ISX 450, Fully Automatic, APU

40' Fleetwood Formula Toyhauler

Welcome to the forum! If the search feature doesn't lead you to the info you are looking for just ask and you will get some really educated guesses! ;)

When you figure out what you want I am sure you can find a drive out ready truck, there are plenty of them for sale.

Do NOT send me a PM, Cliick HERE to email me!

In considering a truck like that you need to ask yourself just how much you enjoy meeting new people, such as tow truck drivers and heavy truck mechanics?

Or perhaps, enjoying the great outdoors, like the side of the road while waiting to meet those exciting people?