How to prepare to drive a new MH?

kudzu

34 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The very first "big rig" I drove was as an 18 year old soldier stationed at Ft Devens, MA. While I was in a casual company awaiting orders, I was given a 15 minute driving lesson in a 60 passenger bus, and then sent to downtown Boston to pick up a load of recruits at the induction center for transit to Ft Dix, NJ for basic training. White knuckles? Oh yeah, big time! :o:D

That is probably like a lot of first time Class A MH buyers.  The salesman gives them a 10 minute lesson and away they go. 

I didn't even get that, buying from a private individual.  Took it on a test drive, bought it and drove away.  It was a longer process than that with the inspection & stuff, but that was the driving part. :o

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

10 minutes ago, Al F said:

That is probably like a lot of first time Class A MH buyers.  The salesman gives them a 10 minute lesson and away they go. 

I didn't even get that, buying from a private individual.  Took it on a test drive, bought it and drove away.  It was a longer process than that with the inspection & stuff, but that was the driving part. :o

Heck , the dealer we bought from never gave lesson one . The closest we got was a 5 minute test drive . 

I didn't expect much more than seeing everything working . We knew the rig was basically of good quality .

We've been happy with it for the last 8 years . :)

Goes around , comes around .

29 minutes ago, Al F said:

Fortunately, following that first experience, I drove a wide variety of large wheeled vehicles over the years, so by the time we bought our first motorhome, driving it was the least of my concerns... :D

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

G.O.A.L. = Get Out And Look. About every third campsite requires me to get out and look before attempting to park. Jo Ann is right with me, and together we figure out what needs to be done. Just before I get back in the coach I tell her exactly what I want her to tell me (we use a radio). So far we haven't had any problems.

A good number of years ago I taught at a residential high school and most of us had to take our turns driving a school bus for various activities, so I was somewhat used to driving a large vehicle. When we took our coach out for a test drive the seller pulled it out of the shed and pointed it out the drive, then let me take over. She sat in the navigator's seat and was rather surprised that I didn't have any problems driving the coach. I explained about driving the school bus and that there were four adults aboard, not one adult and 20 teenagers. That made a BIG difference.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

22 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Heck , the dealer we bought from never gave lesson one . The closest we got was a 5 minute test drive .

When you think about it, what vehicle can you buy that comes to the new owner with instruction on how to drive it? Automobiles don't and neither do boats, ATV's, motorcycles, or even bicycles! And of all of those, only the automobile operator has to be licensed and pass a test before driving in public places!  :o Any of the others allow you to go into places where there are many people with that same vehicle in operation with no instruction at all.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

When you think about it, what vehicle can you buy that comes to the new owner with instruction on how to drive it? Automobiles don't and neither do boats, ATV's, motorcycles, or even bicycles! And of all of those, only the automobile operator has to be licensed and pass a test before driving on the public roads!  :o

Exactly right , that^ . 

Goes around , comes around .

Archived