2001 National RV 12vDC Distribution Panel

LakeSim

My ac units and fans went out. Not able to use confort control to turn ac or fans on. I had a blown fuse on my 12vdc panel. I then lost my light to the bathroom and hallway lights from kitchen to bedroom. When I try to insert 15 amp fuse I get a spark. I have shut all power off, checked my batteries but symptom still present. Looking for someone who my have had similar issues.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy that you have joined us and we will do all that we can to assist you.

When you put in the fuse and it sparked, did it also blow(or open)? The spark could be something as simple as coming from a light which was left on if supplied by the fuse that you were replacing. Do you have a listing of which fuse supplies what circuit on your coach? Do you have a volt/ohm meter to do some testing with? It sounds like you may have some serious issues but we really don't have much to go on at this point.  

What model is your 2001 National RV? What make and model is the air conditioning and the thermostat? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks Kirk getting back to me. Dolphin is the model. It's 36 ft with 2 air conditioners with a 4 button confort control unit. Up untill recently I have not had one issue with the coach. Last year after turning in in for maintenance the technical rep stated probably need to upgrade confort control unit to a five button unit and repace both control units along with air conditioners. But didn't do it. So this last week woke up to ac units not working along with confort control. Checked circuit breaker didn't trip, went to 12vdc panel located back of front right tire this is in front of battery compartment under stairs. The fuse was blown and I couldn't get another one in without a spark. I have tested the batteries with 120vac off with battery disconnect off batteries are good. I then lost fuse to bathroom light and fuse to lights in main hallway. Everything else is running fine. 

A couple of things that may be worth trying. Before you replace the fuses, lift the cable from the negative post of the battery, which should ensure that you won't get any sparks. If the fuse supplying the comfort control is blowing, try unplugging the connector on it before you put that fuse back in. If that keeps it from blowing, try connecting it back and if the fuse then blows again, it is a pretty good indication that the control is the source of the problem. 

The problem with the lights is a bit puzzling. Were you able to replace that fuse and get the lights to work again? I find it hard to believe that there is any relationship between the comfort control and the lights, but do think of one possibility. If the wires to the lights and to the comfort control are both in the same wire bundle, it is possible that the bundle has been flexed or somehow damaged to cause both problems. To check that you will need to physically trace where the wires go and examine them all along the route. You might be able to narrow that possible issue some by using an ohm meter along the route. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks to getting back to me at this point because I have three fuses out and all three go to different areas and having checked batteries I got an appointment at RV repair but that a month away. I'll get a portable ac unit, but will run a cord to the main power pedestal outside. The RV maintenance guy told me if a keep messing around I could just cause more problem and could damage 12vdc Distribution board. But thanks allot for you help, if I was 20 years younger I would chase down the issue. Thks again.

Just now, LakeSim said:

Thanks to getting back to me at this point because I have three fuses out and all three go to different areas and having checked batteries I got an appointment at RV repair but that a month away. I'll get a portable ac unit, but will run a cord to the main power pedestal outside. The RV maintenance guy told me if a keep messing around I could just cause more problem and could damage 12vdc Distribution board. But thanks allot for you help, if I was 20 years younger I would chase down the issue. Thks again.

Growing old isn't easy ;) welcome to the forum. The last time I ran into an issue like this on wiring as I removed a panel to inspect wiring I had a big rat staring me in the face. After making him decide to move I had 6 small wires to splice back together !

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

32 minutes ago, LakeSim said:

Well you may have hit the nail on the head. I am currently trying to rid my self of the critters. Where was your rat located.

This was on a backhoe under the instrument cluster, good luck in your search. They do like to build nests on top 0f warm motors

Jim Spence

The blessed rat that chewed through the wires on backhoe wasnt happy with just one spot, after chewing through the set of wires he moved over about 6 inches and chewed through them again

Jim Spence

On your ac units.

Seach on line how to reset your thermostat.  If I remember correctly turn the thermostat off. Push and hold down the mode and zone buttons. While holding them down, turn the thermostat on.

You should see FF . If so then you reset the thermostat.

If you see EE then there is a communication problem with the thermostat system

Safe Travels,.   Vern

Archived