Shore power

genecolleen

Normally when we are parked for more than a few days I plug into shore power. I figured this would prevent the phantom power drain from pulling down my batteries. I have been parked for 3 weeks and went out to move truck yesterday, batteries dead. All four batteries were replaced 3 months ago.  Could this have something to do with the inverter? 

<p>Gene & Colleen2009 Volvo 670 customized by Gregg RV Haulers, 2014 New Horizon 5th wheel, 2012 smart car on the deck. Full time 6/17/2014

Vmmonline.org

Gene,

I am by no means an expert but two questions.  1.  Is yours an inverter/charger or just an inverter?  If the former then it should easily keep the batteries charged.  2.  Have you checked how much parasitic draw you are getting?  There are videos on you tube to show how to do that.  If your batteries are drawing down in three weeks you have some serious drain somewhere.  Finally as batteries discharge the truck should go into "preservation mode" which is a design feature to maintain enough charge to start the truck by shutting down all non-essential power draws.  IMHO problem may be more than just inverter.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, genecolleen said:

Normally when we are parked for more than a few days I plug into shore power. I figured this would prevent the phantom power drain from pulling down my batteries. I have been parked for 3 weeks and went out to move truck yesterday, batteries dead. All four batteries were replaced 3 months ago.  Could this have something to do with the inverter? 

Hi Gene,

I can not answer your question about the inverter. The truck seem to have a small parasitic draw for the computers. My question to you is. Does your truck have a battery tender or battery minder hooked up to your batteries. That is how my truck is set-up, is with a battery minder. I am not sure if your inverter has a battery charger built in to it.

Best of luck,
Al 

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Inverter (on standby), fridge, propane and CO alarm, stereo, TV, dimmer switches turned down/not off, indicator lights, LED displays, smart phone chargers have ghost loads and there is the self discharge of the batteries. I've measured the ghost load on our trailer up to 6amps.  With fridge and alarms we are at 1-2 amps

Either disconnecting (not the brakes) the battery(s), using a good battery charger/maintainer or as you've done  connecting to shore power every so often are solutions.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Gene,

What brand and model number is your inverter ? By knowing this, it could be a big help to the fellows here on the forum.

Al

Something definitely isn't right if it's going dead that quickly.  Usually after about a month not connected to a charger, I'm still sitting at 12.4-12.5V, with plenty of juice to crank the engine.

It's easy enough to have the batteries tested (most auto parts stores will do it for free, just make sure they separate the batteries or input the specs for the 3 together).  If they're good, I'd suggest starting with a clamp-on DC ammeter (like this) to see what's flowing when the truck is parked at the battery (checking each lead), then work your way to the fuse box supply in the dash, your inverter, etc.

If you're seeing something significant at the fuse panel, the easiest way to track it down is with a tester like this.  You should be able to find the load that way, and figure out either what's staying on that shouldn't, or what needs turned off to get it to go longer while parked.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

This is an ongoing problem with class 8 trucks. Freightliner has addressed the problem with the "new" Cascadia by making a total electrical shutoff standard equipment. Instructions right on the switch advise the operator to turn off the switch and isolate the batteries from drain if the truck is not going to be driven for more than 48 hours. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I have a Xantrex  RM1012 AL inverter/ charger. The truck was plugged in for the 3 weeks to a power pedestal. All 12 volt devices dash cam, tire monitor ect. unplugged. Fridge turned off. No interior lights left on. 

<p>Gene & Colleen2009 Volvo 670 customized by Gregg RV Haulers, 2014 New Horizon 5th wheel, 2012 smart car on the deck. Full time 6/17/2014

Vmmonline.org

From the manual for your charger:  Sorry, not sure why it copied it that large, and why I can't edit it.

When you are connected to shorepower, the AC LED is illuminated and the
unit is both passing power through to the appliances and charging the
batteries. To avoid low voltage problems, make sure your connection cord to
shorepower is not too long and that it is heavy enough to support the loads
you are running. A 14 or 12 gauge extension cord is recommended.
If the AC LED flashes slowly (about twice per second), this means the AC
voltage is out of range and your batteries are not charging.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Boy do I feel stupid. Normally I plug into the outside outlet on my RV and check to make sure the ac power light comes on in my truck. This time they had me park in a vacant lot next to my RV. I just checked and the 20 amp breaker was off. Thanks to all for your responses. 

Vmmonline.org

33 minutes ago, genecolleen said:

Boy do I feel stupid. Normally I plug into the outside outlet on my RV and check to make sure the ac power light comes on in my truck. This time they had me park in a vacant lot next to my RV. I just checked and the 20 amp breaker was off. Thanks to all for your responses. 

I'm actually sitting here chuckling...... only because I've done the same thing.....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Hey, Gene don't feel stupid.  Let your wife tell you, like mine does?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

15 hours ago, beyerjf said:

This is an ongoing problem with class 8 trucks. Freightliner has addressed the problem with the "new" Cascadia by making a total electrical shutoff standard equipment. Instructions right on the switch advise the operator to turn off the switch and isolate the batteries from drain if the truck is not going to be driven for more than 48 hours. 

^ this to protect the starting batteries. Install deep cycle batteries behind an isolator to get killed by all the RV hdt gadgets... :ph34r:

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

15 hours ago, Nuke-E said:

Something definitely isn't right if it's going dead that quickly.  Usually after about a month not connected to a charger, I'm still sitting at 12.4-12.5V, with plenty of juice to crank the engine.

It's easy enough to have the batteries tested (most auto parts stores will do it for free, just make sure they separate the batteries or input the specs for the 3 together).  If they're good, I'd suggest starting with a clamp-on DC ammeter (like this) to see what's flowing when the truck is parked at the battery (checking each lead), then work your way to the fuse box supply in the dash, your inverter, etc.

If you're seeing something significant at the fuse panel, the easiest way to track it down is with a tester like this.  You should be able to find the load that way, and figure out either what's staying on that shouldn't, or what needs turned off to get it to go longer while parked.

Hi Gene,

I still like David's advice. It is to hard to believe that new batteries can go dead in 3 weeks. If you could do the testing that David describes would peace of mind to me knowing that the truck does not have a problem. That is just my thoughts.

Best of luck,
Al

The Cascadia shut off is not for addressing the "hotel loads" the driver imposes while staying in the tractor on say a mandatory 10 hour break. There are optional setups for that, like you mentioned, isolated deep cycle batteries, or an APU. Of course most companies are too cheap to put the optional equipment on and complain about killing the batteries and premature replacement because of the cycling. 

The shutoff is when the truck is totally unused, fleet units that might sit for days/weeks before anyone needs them. The parasitic loads are increasing and Freightliner thinks it is the cheapest most expedient way to deal with the issue. The constant drain pulling the batteries down to 25% of voltage or less, which is murder on the batteries,  the possibility of someone jump starting one incorrectly, etc. Fleet problems, where you have to design in "idiot proof".

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived