Company to Assist with Texas Domicile & Registration?

I've been going back and forth between Texas and South Dakota for my domicile, and one of the things I can't seem to find is a company that you can hire to assist with the  setup, registration, insurance, etc. for Texas.  I seem to find this easily for South Dakota, but not for Texas.

I'm sure I just missed it somewhere on the site, as I've read the guides an articles - but I just don't see anything about a company that you can work with and give the power of attorney to do the registration, etc.  I really need hand-holding :-)

If you are talking about registration, just give the folks at the Polk County Assessors office a call and they will walk you through it.  No more difficult that what you would have to do with the service in SD - YOU still have to get the numbers, etc.   And since you have to go to Texas to get DL, just like you have to go to SD to get your DL, most find it easier to just go and do it all in a day or two.

County Tax Assessor-Collector

416 N. Washington
Livingston, TX 77351

Phone: 936-327-6801
Fax: 936-327-6885

The folks at the Assossor's office are really very good at hand holding - they get lots of experience because a lot of Escapees buy vehicles out of state and register them.  They give you the info you need to send them, they get the registration done and the plates, etc., are sent either to your Escapees address (Escapees notifies you when they receive the registration/plates) or to another address where you are currently staying.  Either way, it is simple to do.

As for insurance, you are going to need to get quotes from different companies, again you have to provide the info and they will give you quotes.

There is nothing hard about this,  you can do it.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

@Barbaraok - I've got them sending me a packet of information, but now I'm trying to figure out timing on the Driver's License.  Do you happen to know how long I have after registering by mail to get my Driver's license?  I'm hoping more than 30 days....

Sorry, that really wasn't clear, let me try again.  On the website here in the Texas info section on step 3 it says "Apply in person at any Department of Public Safety office in Texas within 90 days of establishing residency".

But I'm not sure which part is establishing the residency.  Is it signup for the mailing service? Or is it when I register the vehicle?  Or something else entirely - haha

54 minutes ago, bghouse said:

On the website here in the Texas info section on step 3 it says "Apply in person at any Department of Public Safety office in Texas within 90 days of establishing residency".

Most people doing this are actually moving physically to TX so that timing is based on that. For you, it is just whenever you actually get to TX. Nothing at all to be concerned about since you won't be living & working in TX. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

@Kirk Wood - thank you!  So I should be okay then using my Washington drivers license with Texas plates until I finally get to Texas?  I have other "real id" if needed with passport, passport card and SENTRI / Global entry card.  I know for those that are expats down here in Mexico, a lot use South Dakota and some have had issues with crossing back over the border with South Dakota plates and a non-matching address.  Not that I plan to be breaking a bunch of laws or anything - lol

I'm not sure if there would be a problem in crossing the border with driver's license and plates that do not match. You won't have any problems here in the US, but border crossing could be a different issue. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I haven't had to present my DL to cross the border, just our passports.  Never asked to see DL.  If you are near the Texas border, you could always leave your car (with new plates) and cross, get your new DL at the nearest license station, go back and get your rig.  For that matter, why not just wait until you cross the border and get everything done?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thanks.  Unfortunately, I have to get my new domicile in place to purchase my rig so that it gets filled out correctly on the title to then register it - and I'm living in Mexico.  I won't be crossing back for good until I have my rig.  But I think I'm getting it all together now :-)

When the cop looks at your drives license, registration or whatever, and asks, "is this your current address?" just say yes.  He really doesn't want to know that you moved 31 days or 91 days or whatever and your intentions have no bearing, either. 

As a naturalized Texan, I assure you that the various state and local officials I've come in contact with have little interest in making life difficult and they seem to detest paperwork as much as I do.  Just don't give them cause to dig deeper.

And welcome to Texas.

John, Jean and (the late) Molly & Mea (the puppy) Springer Spaniels
2016 F250 CCSB w/Andersen Ultimate Hitch
2014 Shasta Phoenix 27RL XLT
BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.com

11 minutes ago, JohnNJean said:

When the cop looks at your drives license, registration or whatever, and asks, "is this your current address?" just say yes.  He really doesn't want to know that you moved 31 days or 91 days or whatever and your intentions have no bearing, either. 

That's right lie to the cops, That is not the best advice that has been given in this thread. I only write the ones that lie to me, first ticket I wrote today was "Speeding" and "Fail to report change of address". 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

11 hours ago, Big5er said:

I only write the ones that lie to me, first ticket I wrote today was "Speeding" and "Fail to report change of address". 

You're the exception to my experience in Texas.  Is writing - or not writing - tickets discretionary, now?  You're saying you wrote someone up for lying rather than failing to report change of address?

Choosing to issuing a warning or a citation has always been discretionary. And I always ask drivers what their "current" address is, and have for 30+years. 

Also there is no violation for lying. The violation is for failing to report the change of address. Logic says that if you are so inclined as to lie about your address, then issuing you a warning will probably not change your behavior. Having to go change their address and show it to the judge, will have better results when dealing with someone that chooses the path of dishonesty. When confronted with an honest person a warning will probably call attention to their error and will usually suffice.

The law regarding having your current address on your license is multifaceted. I am sure you believe it is only so you can locate people that fail to pay their fines and arrest them, but as has been the case has been numerous times, it is much easier to locate a next of kin when you can find out where they live. 

What I understand from your posts is if YOU believe it is of little consequence then it is alright to lie. Is that what your parents taught you? Is that what you taught your children? If you disagree with something just ignore it and lie about it?

Changing the address on your Texas drivers license is as simple as logging onto your computer. On the other hand your first thought is to just lie. Yet another shining example of the degradation of personal morals in our society. 

8 hours ago, Sehc said:

Not all police are az-oles.

And not all citizens are liars. Thank you for your courtesy. It is a shame you felt the need to act so childish. And I believe the word you meant to use was "ass hole". 

2014 smart Fortwo

3 hours ago, Big5er said:

Choosing to issuing a warning or a citation has always been discretionary. And I always ask drivers what their "current" address is, and have for 30+years. 

Also there is no violation for lying. The violation is for failing to report the change of address. Logic says that if you are so inclined as to lie about your address, then issuing you a warning will probably not change your behavior. Having to go change their address and show it to the judge, will have better results when dealing with someone that chooses the path of dishonesty. When confronted with an honest person a warning will probably call attention to their error and will usually suffice.

The law regarding having your current address on your license is multifaceted. I am sure you believe it is only so you can locate people that fail to pay their fines and arrest them, but as has been the case has been numerous times, it is much easier to locate a next of kin when you can find out where they live. 

What I understand from your posts is if YOU believe it is of little consequence then it is alright to lie. Is that what your parents taught you? Is that what you taught your children? If you disagree with something just ignore it and lie about it?

Changing the address on your Texas drivers license is as simple as logging onto your computer. On the other hand your first thought is to just lie. Yet another shining example of the degradation of personal morals in our society. 

And not all citizens are liars. Thank you for your courtesy. It is a shame you felt the need to act so childish. And I believe the word you meant to use was "ass hole". 

You obviously don't understand anything from my posts and I don't appreciate you trying to misconstrue my words.

I'm a new poster, but a long time lurker on this forum and I've always enjoyed the civility of this forum and am dismayed that you've chosen my post upon which to throw your weight around.  If you'd like to take it offline and tell me what court you filed your ticket in, I'll be glad to forward your post and prior posts about only writing strangers and not friends to the judge and TCOLE.

That's all I have to say online and it's your choice if you wish to pursue it.

3 hours ago, JohnNJean said:

I don't appreciate you trying to misconstrue my words.

I'll be glad to forward your post and prior posts about only writing strangers and not friends to the judge and TCOLE.

The words were yours. Nothing needed to be misconstrued. "Just say yes". No matter the real answer, "just say yes". That was your advice....to lie.

And please feel free to send anything you want to anyone you want. Like TCOLE would have anything to say. What a joke...and a rather lame threat from someone with your moral compass. You got embarrassed by your own words and you resort to threats?  So typical. 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived