HAM "shack" setup for your RV

TheLongWayHome

So, I'm new to RVing and plan to go full-time in the Spring of 2018. Right now trying to finalize the plan on an RV. It will probably be a customer Toy Hauler. I am a HAM (Extra) and mostly use phone and digital modes (not format generally, think DMR, D-Star, Wires-X) UHF/VHF and HF, so need to have a "quiet space".  What special setup have you done to operator your station and any special HAM shack recommendations? Pictures would help!

Will come back to the HF antenna challenges later!

I full time and am a ham (General) also.  I use the digital modes and have zero interest in HF due not only to antenna limitations in the RF, but poor propagation right now.  If I live long enough for the cycle to change I may revisit HF, but not for now.

I work DStar, DMR (limited), and C4FM.  My equipment is:

2 DStar hot spots (battery or 120v capable) on raspberry pi"s, 2 ICOM ID51A+

1 TYT MD380

1 Yaesu FT1DR

1 Verizon Jetpack

1 RAV power supply

1 Open Spot

I pretty well have the digital modes covered but spend most of my time on DStar or C4FM.  I'm not a big fan of DMR.

Ed

KM4STL, 3101156

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2017 at 5:01 AM, edatlanta said:

I full time and am a ham (General) also.  I use the digital modes and have zero interest in HF due not only to antenna limitations in the RF, but poor propagation right now.  If I live long enough for the cycle to change I may revisit HF, but not for now.

Ed

KM4STL, 3101156

Ed,

Thanks for you input. Will try to use a screwdriver antenna on HF. Ground planes are always a challenge on fiberglass RVs.

Are there any other HAMs out there? I thought Escapees had a HAM BOF, but it does not appear to be very active. Worth joining?

Gerry

We are Michigan snowbirds.  We travel in a class A (motor home).  

I have enjoyed limited success with a screwdriver antenna.  The best result to date has been hose-clamping it to a metal campground electrical service "substation" box.  It was not noticed by anyone and I think the grounding was very good.  I have not had any success with the antenna attached to the motor home.  I may try to clamp the antenna to a ground rod sometime.

My next antenna will be a dipole supported by a fiberglass "stick" that is twenty-five feet tall and fastened to the rig's ladder.  Maybe twenty-meters will work well for us.  We are headed for Arizona next winter.

Camping in Florida was disappointing.  The campgrounds there did not allow anything in their trees.  Nothing.  

While traveling to our cottage in Canada I have enjoyed some success with a very low-hung seventy-five meter dipole.  Maybe it was NVIS?  Maybe something otherwise.  And again for Field Day the low-lying dipole for seventy-five worked well enough.

I wish you well getting a shack that works for you.

de Bill, NA8M

6 hours ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Are there any other HAMs out there? I thought Escapees had a HAM BOF, but it does not appear to be very active. Worth joining?

Gerry

There are lots of hams here, but as you noticed, not very active on the forum.  Face to face gatherings such as Escapade and Quartzfest are much different.

Back to the original question, we also had a toy hauler.  I put a desk in the garage for computers and radio gear.  My best antenna setup was a Hustler 6-BTV on a homemade tilt over.  It was easy up - easy down and performed well on our aluminum 5th wheel.  As previously mentioned, fiberglass is more of a challenge.

73 es Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

7 hours ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Ed,

Thanks for you input. Will try to use a screwdriver antenna on HF. Ground planes are always a challenge on fiberglass RVs.

Gerry

I monitor Reflector 30C on DStar and on C4FM FCS2 Room 90 or FCS2 Room 1.

If I'm not on one of these I'm napping - Retired You Know!

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

43 minutes ago, k4rs said:

Back to the original question, we also had a toy hauler.  I put a desk in the garage for computers and radio gear.  My best antenna setup was a Hustler 6-BTV on a homemade tilt over.  It was easy up - easy down and performed well on our aluminum 5th wheel.  As previously mentioned, fiberglass is more of a challenge.

73 es Safe Travels...

Thanks K4RS for your feedback. Have heard good things about the Hustler, but as you said probably not on fiberglass.  Do you get any hassle (or discouragements) deploying it in regular RV parks, like NA8M above? Also curious on the size of you garage and it you put any other "dirty" hobbies - bikes, ATV, etc in the garage? Have had some concern expressed about mixing clean and dirty hobbies or usages in the garage.

Have you thought of using DMR, D-STAR or C4FM to reach out further, as an alternative to HF?

73s  AB0GF

I use a portable W4OP loop antenna since I am into HW CW QRPp, so do most of my operating from a picnic table when traveling. I can open up only one or two repeaters from our current location in central FL and none of them are digital. I am not going to buy a digital radio until I can actually use it. ;-)

Dave - KU9L

David, Sheila, & Stella the Beagle

SKP#95866 - Full-timing since 2008

GPAA/LDMA and Colorado Prospectors Life Members, NRA Life Member

Amateur Ham callsigns: KU9L & KB9YYI, Life ARRL Members

'12 Lance 1181 truck camper "Redneck Motorhome"

'12 Ford F-350SD 4x4 DRW crew-cab "Sedona" w/Firestone airbags, Power Tank, PressurePro TPMS, Garmin GPS

'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Red Rocks" w/Blue Ox tow-bar

'93 Fleetwood Oak Park seasonally in SW FL.

22 hours ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Thanks K4RS for your feedback. Have heard good things about the Hustler, but as you said probably not on fiberglass.  Do you get any hassle (or discouragements) deploying it in regular RV parks, like NA8M above? Also curious on the size of you garage and it you put any other "dirty" hobbies - bikes, ATV, etc in the garage? Have had some concern expressed about mixing clean and dirty hobbies or usages in the garage.

Have you thought of using DMR, D-STAR or C4FM to reach out further, as an alternative to HF?

73s  AB0GF

Our garage was 11 feet long.  In the front, next to the dividing wall, we had a washing machine and chest freezer.  Along the driver side wall was my desk and a food pantry.  We also had several storage boxes that got moved around.  It was very crowded with the motorcycles loaded but quite roomy with them unloaded.  Our motorcycles never "marked their territory", so really not a problem with mess.

When I first got the Hustler I ground mounted it.  I moved it to the RV when a campground manager worried about someone tripping over the radials.  After that nobody ever complained.

Last year we downsized to a 27 foot conventional trailer that we use to travel in the summer (4 to 5 months) and do not have room for HF.  We currently have a 2 Meter / 70 CM System Fusion (C4FM), a DV dongle for D-Star, and Echolink while we are traveling.

73 es Safe Travels...

I'm having a trailer custom built so it was the perfect time to design in a HAM Shack. I had them put them run three runs of coax to the roof and two more to the rear bumper. On the roof I had them put an 8' x 8' piece of sheet metal for a ground plane. In the middle of that I will put a Tarheel screwdriver on a folding mount. I will also put a 2m 70cm antenna. The third coax run is for a 40m dipole. The two coax runs to the rear bumper will feed a vertical on the ladder and a tripod mounted portable antenna.

I'm looking forward to getting it all up and running.

Steve

KJ4YGY

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

6 minutes ago, sdixon747 said:

I'm having a trailer custom built so it was the perfect time to design in a HAM Shack. I had them put them run three runs of coax to the roof and two more to the rear bumper. On the roof I had them put an 8' x 8' piece of sheet metal for a ground plane. In the middle of that I will put a Tarheel screwdriver on a folding mount. I will also put a 2m 70cm antenna. The third coax run is for a 40m dipole. The two coax runs to the rear bumper will feed a vertical on the ladder and a tripod mounted portable antenna.

I'm looking forward to getting it all up and running.

Steve

KJ4YGY

Thanks Steve,

I'm going to be all over your rig's "big reveal" at Hutch :lol:. Got to see all the new toys and ideas from Marsha, Jack and David!! Also read you "Spend  My Money" thread from last November, last night!!! Trying to pursue many of the same ideas in a 5th wheel. Currently in discussions with NH, but Cole in gun-shy on "new" stuff (e.g. LiFePo4, mini-splits, etc.). Have started looking a SC. We will not finalize the decision (RV, HDT) until November. Getting lots of input ideas from a lots of experienced people.

Back to the HAM Shank - 8' x 8'!! Will be curious of the bonding to the roof and see how well if works. I believe you also have a whole pile of solar up there? I little jigsaw puzzle?  I could argue that the Hi-Q screwdriver is a better antenna (may start a religious war here), but I do like the Tarhill tilt-up mount. Have an acquaintance that has used a Hi-Q 6-160 on his commercial big rig for 4+ years and loves it. Hopefully you will get a chance to use it before or at Hutch (and with the blessing of the solar cycle).

Sounds like you have lots of antenna options thought through. I will look to see what ideas I can "appropriate". You might also consider a grounding stud on the hitch (frame attached) as another option. Will have to experiment with grounding, but maybe others here have experience with grounding their rig frame apart from the pedestal or while boondocking.

I will also be looking to see what I can put on the truck - maybe on the drom box (lower, smaller one) that will stay below the other truck "obstacle feeler" antennas. Also have some off-road 2M/70 cm antennas that can take abuse (to a degree). They don't do well with garage doors - as Jack would say "Ask me how I know?"

Gerry

73s AB0GF

Gerry

I probably won't have my antennas on at Hutch'. I won't pick up the trailer until a couple weeks before the rally and the antennas are not high on the priority list for getting the new unit set up. I'm glad I had all the coax runs done during construction as well as the sheet metal in the roof. I talked to the folks at Tarheel when I was at the Dayton Hamvention and told them my plans. They are the ones that said to put the 8' x 8' metal in the roof. My roof is plywood with a fiberglass cap. The sheet metal is sandwiched in between. There is no physical connection with the sheet metal to any other metal on the frame or to the antenna. The ground plane is all through capacitance coupling. Only the back 9' or so of the roof has anything sticking up like satelite dish and other antennas. The front 37' is flat, clean roof for solar panels to be added soon.

New Horizons builds a high quality unit, but if you really want an "outside the box" thinking, custom trailer, Space Craft is the way to go. I'll show you all my "unusual" features in Hutch'.

Steve

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

• 2 months later...

We're planning on fulltiming in 2 years when I retire. We don't have the RV yet, but I've got the truck to pull it. We'll probably go with a 5th wheel. I'm thinking two HF antennas....a screwdriver type for when I'm not staying in one place long....and a 6BTV with the 17M kit for when I'm staying for more than a day or two. My favorite band is 40M....both SSB and CW....so I want to do well on that band. I am intrigued by the Eagle One antenna (http://www.w8afx.com) it would be a full quarter wave on 40M....I just question it's ruggedness. I wish there were 5th wheels with a metal body....would make grounding better. I'd love an airstream for the metal skin...but they just seem way expensive and way small.

I'm a general studying for extra and love 40 meters. I have used a wire dipole but we just bought a lot in northern New Mexico and can't use a wire. I'm also looking at the Hustler 6BTV so i will be following this.

KG5LTL

Edited by accumack

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

• 5 months later...

There was such a good discussion going on here - did everyone meet FTF and share "looksees"?

We don't full time, There is of course a 2m/440 Yaesu in the TV that stays parked on .52 on one side and whatever 440 repeater is close on the other, or balanced off. If I take HF with us, it's in the form of low power and a buddipole, and does not usually get set up, too much relaxation going on. I have the DStar and the DMR and the hotspots - I am not such a fan, nothing, IMO, beats a nice rich analog conversation, or digging out a weak signal SSB contact with success. But, that's just me. To each their own.

Edited by Mike S.

Mike & Ann with Bourbon

2008 RAM 2500 HD / 2003 Newmar American Star SERENITY

bourbon named smaller.jpg

• 1 month later...

I live currently in an older 1994 class C. I have installed an iCom IC-735, and an IC-2200 just by the dinette.

Running a mobile multiband on a mast off the back of the RV with some ground radials dropped on the ground while parked. It works but is a pain to change bands.

KC0NIB

• 1 month later...

I operate HF and 2 meter using a Tarheel 200 screwdriver 80-10 and a 2 meter antenna mounted on the truck. I carry 2-100 FT lengths of coax and hook up to the antennas on the truck. I use a remote controller on the screwdriver to tune it from the trailer so I can hook up my base radio in the trailer and do what I want. works great except for running the coax, about the only issue. Big plus is it gets the truck and the RF away from the trailer which helps with the RFI, don't have the heater turning on or the awning rolling up. LOL.

Tom

2016 Ram CC dually, 2011 HitchHiker DA 349 RSB, 2014 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

• 4 weeks later...

WB0YD here. New to escapees.

Have used my comet 50 2/440 with decent results. I also have used my chameleon hybrid mini with a modest ground plane on a camera bipod with guy wires on HF 10-80 with decent results as well. I also have a ic-7100 and a tarheel 400A on the front of my '18 Ram cummins tow rig and have had very good success with that.

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2017 at 3:34 PM, sdixon747 said:

On the roof I had them put an 8' x 8' piece of sheet metal for a ground plane. In the middle of that I will put a Tarheel screwdriver on a folding mount. I will also put a 2m 70cm antenna.

That is exactly what I did in my last trailer.  It worked very well.  The Tarheel is on the van right now, but due to be transferred to our full-time rig, probably a Class A DP, whenever we find the right one.

Before that, I had an S3 43' collapsible fiberglass ground-mount vertical.  Collapsed size was about 5 1/2'.  Easy to put up, easy to stow, but can be tough to find enough area to spread the radials.  Boondocking only, would never try that in a campground...

-Jim

W7JLL

• 10 months later...

Hi...in my case the space you will normally get is too small to get a antenna up and if all else fails & it falls , with such limited space , it would probably hit other peoples stuff - another RV , someone car or truck , equipment belonging to the park , power lines etc.
Then you get into idiot thinking which is a large majority of the population - it looks bad , what is that = it must scary etc.
All that is aside from what affects you will have on those nearby , even with VHF / UHF .

turnkey pcb assembly

Edited by CariKahn

We have a small trailer, with a dedicated fold up "shack position" by the couch.  For HF I use a Buddipole deluxe.  Its pricey but quite flexible.  The key to using it well is to have a good antenna analyzer available if possible.  I use the aimuhf which will tell you almost everything about your antenna.

WP_20150329_19_27_45_Pro.thumb.jpg.ed95077dde909704e442b7af9392d953.jpg

Jayco X213 and Ford F-450

sigpic34342_2.jpg.a15e7833975ae882ac73331ded551d6c.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Long time, no activity on this thread.

We're full-timers in a Foretravel MH, so fiberglass over steel. The 2M radio is easy - there was an old cell phone antenna mounted on the roof. Just remove that antenna and put on the 2M one. A little bit of additional coax brought it to where the radio is.

HF is what has me scratching my head. A friend gave me a long, collapsable painters' pole (aluminum) and a pair of mounting brackets for either a single or dipole hamstick mounts. He also gave me enough coax to go out the window, around the far end of the coach to the corresponding window on the other side with coax to spare. Getting from the radio to the antenna is no problem. I've test fit mounting the pole to the ladder, and that will work when parked. No need/desire to operate HF while driving, so setting up the antenna isn't an issue. What has me puzzled is connecting some sort of ground plane to this. I have easy access to the engine and chassis frame, but not to the steel frame that forms the sides and roof. Could I simply run a wire from the aluminum mast to a convenient steel point in the engine area?

HF rig is a TenTec Scout. Current hamstick is for 20M.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Since my last post I have given in to my desire to operate HF from the RV.  I tried to resist temptation, but the pain of withdrawal became too much :D

Last summer I purchased an Icom IC-705.  It is small, portable and light weight making it ideal for the RV.  The first antenna I tried was a loop.  I never had a loop before and I have not mastered the art of tuning of it.  I also had to sit outside at a picnic table to use it.  I quickly realized I would much prefer to operate inside the rig, avoiding bugs heat and rain.

I quickly added a couple of dipoles for 20 and 40 meters.  I mounted them just below a  VHF/UHF vertical on a 15 foot fiberglass mast attached to the back of the rig.  Many campgrounds prohibit you from attaching anything to trees so I secured the ends to plastic bottles filled with water.  I am constantly amazed how well a QRP radio and a low mounted inverted V dipole can work.

This year I added a 40 meter OCF dipole which is also resonant on 20, 10, and 6 meters (30 meters with tuner) along with an end fed half wave (which I have not tried yet) and several hamsticks for use in small sites without room for a dipole.  So far the OCF is working very well and the hamsticks leave much to be desired.    I think I have figured out a way to mount my Hustler 6-BTV to the tongue, but that will have to wait until we get back to Florida.  

I have also installed a permanent run of coax from the back of the refrigerator into the rig.  I can now run the coax from the antennas through the holes in the access panel (next to the drain hose) and attach to a barrel connector.  This works much better than through a window which is what I did previously.   

So now I can operate HF, VHF, UHF, D-Star, and with the help of a handheld, DMR.  I certainly hope this prevents me from withdrawal again.

73 es Safe Travels...