Decision Dilema

freestoneangler

With our 1st snowbird season heading our way, we have been going back and forth on getting another Labrador Retriever.  We lost our 2 year old lab only a few months before I retired last May - tough loss, still stings.  With the WA house sell, the move to MT, and subsequent buy of a home here, we've been so busy that life w/o a dog has been tolerable.  But, we do miss having a dog.  We are somewhat torn on getting another pup and thinking that we'll have him/her to a point that we can travel OK in the TT.  On one hand we feel we should wait until next spring when we get back and not try and add a dog to the mix of new challenges first time snowbirder's no doubt face.  On the other hand, we think we can manage it... decisions, decisions.

We recognize that RV life with animals brings with it some limits as to how flexible one can be doing sightseeing and even places to stay.  We're OK with that as we really love our dogs.  That we don't have one now and this being our first year of snowbird, sightseeing, and not having those restrictions, really has us on the fence.  So what are your thoughts?  Are we nuts to even consider it?

Wait until you have stabilized your life before bringing a new life into the mix.  It will be enough of a challenge for you this year.  Once you have a routine, then decide whether a dog will fit into your new lifestyle.    Also, as one gets older, one needs to think about what happens if you/spouse die.   When the last of our cats died (at age 17, other one was 19) we decided that we didn't want to have to wonder about that. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Barb gave good advice

We travel with two dogs.  One is an 11 year old Mastiff, the other an 18 mos old poddle/St Bernard,  Last year was a challenge with the young dog.  He ate a cell phone, a pair of glasses, and various and sundry items.  This year, not a problem.  The dogs usually go with us, and when not appropriate, we turn on the ac and a TV, and go. 

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

How horrible it must have been to lose a 2-year-old!  :(

We trained our present dog while living in a motorhome. We used the crate training method and she did very well and considered her crate to be her private place for years. We didn't lose her predecessor until we had been on the road for 2 years so we were not in the transition period. I do wonder if you might be better off to consider a smaller dog for the RV, but there are many medium to large dogs on the road so I know that it can work. 

2 hours ago, freestoneangler said:

Are we nuts to even consider it?

Absolutely not! Your happiness is what matters most so go with what will make you both happy. If you miss your pets too much, it may lessen your enjoyment. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Wait until you have stabilized your life before bringing a new life into the mix.  It will be enough of a challenge for you this year.  Once you have a routine, then decide whether a dog will fit into your new lifestyle.    Also, as one gets older, one needs to think about what happens if you/spouse die.   When the last of our cats died (at age 17, other one was 19) we decided that we didn't want to have to wonder about that. 

x2. Life on the road is a big adjustment. Once you are used to the lifestyle get another dog. We couldn't live without ours so I understand your desire.  You might consider a little older dog once you decide to get one. It's a lot less trauma and adjustment.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Near where I have been wintering the last few years there is  a shelter / home finder for dogs. Most of the folks are volunteers and many just come out to walk the dogs on leash outside the shelter. That also helps some of the dogs get ready for adoption.  I have to say as I pass by most of these folks really seem to enjoy helping out that way.  I also know one like that in a mall here in Albquerque and there are probably others. I am betting there are places like this all over the place and even though it might not be exactly the same as having your own it has to help both you and the pouch (or kitty)  I am fairly certain you have to beware of falling for just one.  I don't want a pet and I have trouble sometimes just driving by looking at some of them.

I have a German Shepherd 130# who has a pet cat.  The dog was 6 months old when I downsized to the trailer and adapted very easily.  When the dog was around a year old, he adopted a month old kitten and raised it.  I don't really seen any difference between living in a stick house and an RV as far as pets go.  They are a responsibility much like having children in the home, but are such a joy to many people, myself included.

If you enjoy having a pet, why wait and do without for a period of time?  We each only have so many days above ground and need to make the most of them.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

8 hours ago, Legendsk said:

I don't really seen any difference between living in a stick house and an RV as far as pets go. 

One major difference is that if you're gone for the day, you can leave your pet in your stick house with no problem.  If you do that at all the RV parks or many of the campgrounds I've stayed at, you are in violation of the rules.  You also are leaving your pet unattended to annoy your neighbors who are sitting in their lawn chair 20' away.

If you don't care about breaking the rules or annoying your neighbor, I guess there is no difference. :)

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

14 hours ago, freestoneangler said:

With our 1st snowbird season heading our way, we have been going back and forth on getting another Labrador Retriever.  We lost our 2 year old lab only a few months before I retired last May - tough loss, still stings.  With the WA house sell, the move to MT, and subsequent buy of a home here, we've been so busy that life w/o a dog has been tolerable.  But, we do miss having a dog.  We are somewhat torn on getting another pup and thinking that we'll have him/her to a point that we can travel OK in the TT.  On one hand we feel we should wait until next spring when we get back and not try and add a dog to the mix of new challenges first time snowbirder's no doubt face.  On the other hand, we think we can manage it... decisions, decisions.

We recognize that RV life with animals brings with it some limits as to how flexible one can be doing sightseeing and even places to stay.  We're OK with that as we really love our dogs.  That we don't have one now and this being our first year of snowbird, sightseeing, and not having those restrictions, really has us on the fence.  So what are your thoughts?  Are we nuts to even consider it?

It's pretty clear to me what the decision should be.  Now everyone get ready to hit the road and enjoy themselves.  :) We just did our first snowbird season in the rio grande valley with our female black lab mix rescue whom we got about (6) months after losing Puff, our "Diva" dog.  To us it was not really that much different than having a dog at the house vs traveling with one in a mh.  I believe that animal lovers are special people that can readily adapt to the conditions needed for pet ownership.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

As one who has owned dogs for decades and RVed with some as young as 4 months, I have some comments that may help if you do decide to get a pup. I am another believer in crate/kennel training. It gives them a safe space and keeps them out of trouble. A fairly large Vari-kennel can fit under many RV dinettes. We use one as a table between the recliners in the rear living room of the trailer. When we go out the dog goes in his crate. We turn the AC on if necessary and turn on the radio or play some CDs. I make a point of asking the neighbors if the dog barked while we were gone. More than once, I have gotten the response that they didn't know we had a dog. I have also left a tape recorder running to see if he barked while we were out. Start with short periods of leaving pup alone. As for the dogs bothering the neighbors, I can not recall ever seeing a Lab standing in the windshield barking at everything that goes by.

I remember reading a recommendation that a young dog should meet 100 people and other dogs as part of its socialization. Campgrounds/RV parks provide great opportunities for this, although you do need to be careful as some dogs in the campground may not be properly socialized.

Some snowbird parks have scheduled obedience classes. Or, there are likely some in the local community. One park we stayed at in Southern Georgia had a group of retriever owners that met at a local sportsman's club every day to train their dogs. There are lots of retriever clubs throughout the country. In my experience, training a retriever is a great hobby.

The rules for taking dogs on trails and leash requirements vary. Most National Parks do not allow dogs on most trails. Many state parks that allow dogs on trails require them to be on a leash. National Forest and BLM lands outside of designated recreation areas or developed areas generally have the least restrictive regulations.

Good luck with what ever you decide!

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

5 hours ago, chirakawa said:

One major difference is that if you're gone for the day, you can leave your pet in your stick house with no problem.  If you do that at all the RV parks or many of the campgrounds I've stayed at, you are in violation of the rules.  You also are leaving your pet unattended to annoy your neighbors who are sitting in their lawn chair 20' away.

If you don't care about breaking the rules or annoying your neighbor, I guess there is no difference. :)

We left our cats all of the time.  Maybe Shadow sitting in the window staring at the was bothersome, but I doubt it.  ?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Something to think about when you decide to get another...rescue one that is a little older and not a new puppy. Our Oliver was 3 yrs. old and was being fostered. We were able to find out his temperament as we had a 9 month old grandson, so needed to be sure we were getting a dog that could safely be around him. The family that was keeping him had a 6 yr. old and an 18 month old, so they could give us first-hand experience. He has been the best dog ever and adjusts well to any and every new experience. We found him on petfinder.com. (Also, it feels great to rescue.)

OTOH, some friends of ours got a new puppy - against our advice - and have had to go through all of the puppy issues. They have been frustrated more times than I can count. In time, their dog will settle down, but getting to that point can be a pain.

Good Luck! I understand as we love our dog(s).

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver-(the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ
2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

1 hour ago, Dance Chick said:

Something to think about when you decide to get another...rescue one that is a little older and not a new puppy. Our Oliver was 3 yrs. old and was being fostered. We were able to find out his temperament as we had a 9 month old grandson, so needed to be sure we were getting a dog that could safely be around him. The family that was keeping him had a 6 yr. old and an 18 month old, so they could give us first-hand experience. He has been the best dog ever and adjusts well to any and every new experience. We found him on petfinder.com. (Also, it feels great to rescue.)

OTOH, some friends of ours got a new puppy - against our advice - and have had to go through all of the puppy issues. They have been frustrated more times than I can count. In time, their dog will settle down, but getting to that point can be a pain.

Good Luck! I understand as we love our dog(s).

I have found that raising/training young pets is a lot like raising/training children and we "know" that takes patience. :wacko:

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Adopting/rescuing any dog of any breed or age is wonderful, but there is a serious need for adopters of middle age and senior dogs.  Everyone wants a puppy.   We have had 4 older dogs now and they have all been the best dogs.  You may have to refresh them on housetraining and establish your routine and household rules, but I wouldn't pass them up because of age.

Pat DeJong

6 minutes ago, LFDR3116 said:

Adopting/rescuing any dog of any breed or age is wonderful, but there is a serious need for adopters of middle age and senior dogs.  Everyone wants a puppy.   We have had 4 older dogs now and they have all been the best dogs.  You may have to refresh them on housetraining and establish your routine and household rules, but I wouldn't pass them up because of age.

Excellent point.  We have had adopted or they have found us, a multitude of dogs/cats of different ages over the years.  Our most unusual were (2) pygmy goats.  Now that was interesting to say the least. 

53 minutes ago, jc2 said:

I have found that raising/training young pets is a lot like raising/training children and we "know" that takes patience. :wacko:

I try not to attribute human traits to dogs, but I have known and owned several that appear to suffer from ADHD. I have also had several that were would be juvenile deliquents always testing the borders of acceptable behavior.

As far as adopting, unless you are considering breeding your own dogs; all the available choices are already in this world. So if you get a puppy, might you be rescuing it from a worse fate than you will provide? If you want a Lab, there are breed specific rescue organizations. Older dogs up for adoption, may be so for a reason. Not every dog lover/owner is capable of solving problems caused by neglect or abuse and some can not even be solved by the so called experts. I have done both, adopt rescues and get puppies. Nothing more heart breaking than having a rescue that can not adapt and be rehabilitated.

Again, good luck with what ever you choose to do!

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Years ago, we lost our Cocker of 14 years and we couldn't bear the thought of "replacing" her.  There was a void in our home and our hearts, but we waited three years to adopt another dog, a Springer Spaniel.  Within a few weeks we were both kicking ourselves for waiting and swore that we'd never make that mistake again.

In April of this year, our Springer passed away and I was on a breeders puppy list by the end of the month.  I felt really disloyal, but our hearts were breaking and we remembered our vow to always have a dog.

Mia just turned thirteen weeks and tries our patience OFTEN (she just ate the tags off the bottom of the sofa). But I don't think a day goes by that one of us doesn't remark about what a joy she is and how much she has softened the blow of losing her predecessor.  The pup is just so full of joy that we can't be sad around her.

Yes, there are challenges to a puppy, but the rewards are worth it.  Being a puppy, she doesn't know the difference between the S&B and the RV and is equally comforable in either.  I can't get in the truck without her trying to crawl in the door.

If you're dog people like us, and it sounds like you are, don't make the mistake we made, before.  (She's bitten my toe once and I've taken two papers away from her while typing this.)  The fact that you posted this question makes me think you already know this.  Good luck whatever you decide to do (but post photos of the new dog).

John, Jean and (the late) Molly & Mea (the puppy) Springer Spaniels
2016 F250 CCSB w/Andersen Ultimate Hitch
2014 Shasta Phoenix 27RL XLT
BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.com

"I try not to attribute human traits to dogs, but I have known and owned several that appear to suffer from ADHD. I have also had several that were would be juvenile deliquents always testing the borders of acceptable behavior." Many years ago our twin daughters took our two dogs to 4H dog obedience class. One of the dogs had to go an hour early because he just didn't seem to get the point. We joked that he was in doggy special ed. We all cried when he died at age 14.

For us, having a cat is a better choice since we are frequently away from the coach all day. We're talking about whether we ought to have another cat or kitten to keep her company when we're gone.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Great feedback everyone!  Thank you. We just took our first trip in the new TT - a short one only 80 miles from home to test out everything and dig some quartz crystals.  Our first evening at the campground we see not one, but three yellow labs.  Then, while at the quartz park... another... my wife says it must be an omen :lol:.  Still, we've been discussing this question quite a bit and weighing out the pros and cons.  Unless the right litter comes up fairly quickly, so that we can get through the early puppy training period before venturing out for the winter, we'll wait until spring.  We do see lots of folks with dogs at the parks and most have no problem with us getting our daily dose. 

Archived