Has anyone driven their HDT and trailer over Hwy 395 in northeastern Oregon?

mr. cob

Howdy All,

We are now staying in John Day OR, be here for a couple of days taking in the sights.  Our plan is continue our vacation and head to Hayden ID before going back to Washington.  It looks like Hwy 395 north from John Day would be the shortest route also looks on the map and on my GPS program to be quite twisty.  I am 68 feet in total lenght and don't have any problem with tight twisty roads but I know for a fact there are few if any place to turn around once one starts on such a road so if anyone has driven this route and has any information concerning it please reply to this thread.  Thanks.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, although we only have an MDT and are 56'. We just drove that section of 395 last month. You are correct it is tight and twisty, and there are few turn arounds along the way other than the occasional town with business with spots large enough.  We love 395 as opposed to the busy interstates.  Last year we drove it up to Canada.  I go at a leisurely pace and enjoy the scenery.  Dick

Howdy Dick,

Thanks for your reply.  I saw a sign just outside of Mt. Vernon, on 26 west that said on 395 north the max trailer lenght was 53 feet, max over all lenght was 65 feet, so I don't foresee any problems.  I use the freeways when I have to make time but MUCH prefer the back roads, that said I have taken some roads that have been a challenge to keep the truck and the trailer on my side of the road when going around some of the corners.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 7/23/2017 at 0:38 AM, mr. cob said:

I have taken some roads that have been a challenge to keep the truck and the trailer on my side of the road when going around some of the corners.

Dave

And therein lies the difference between a driver, and a steering wheel holder.  I have a feeling you are the former.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Howdy All,

We are now in Hayden ID, getting an annual inspection done to the trailer, just wanted to leave a comment on Hwy 395 between John Day OR and Pendleton OR.   If you like to just set the cruse control and steer, DO NOT take this road, if on the other hand you really enjoy driving, love to listen to the whistle of the turbo-charger as you climb the grades and revel in the clatter of the jake brake as you descend yet again DRIVE THIS ROAD.

This without doubt is one of the most beautiful roads to drive in the Norwest, many miles of tight curves and steep grades as the road follows the contour of the land and the rivers that flow through it,  Miles of 30-45mph curves, I am 68 feet long and had no problems staying on my side of the road but this required driving not steering.  I can't help it, I know I am not quite right in the head but I LOVE these types of roads.  Saw Elk, Deer and if I am not mistaken a Black Bear while on this stretch of road.

Tomorrow we start to head back toward home, we'll be camped along a river for a few days just outside of Twisp Washington, then we will take one of the most scenic roads in Washington as we go home, Hwy 20, another MUST DO road if you are ever in the area.   Safe travels everyone.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, hutchman said:

Dave, just saw this thread.  That stretch of hwy has to be one best kept secrets fo MC riding in the country.  Seems like there is one section....maybe 15 or 20 miles with an unbroken double yellow line.  A great day trip for those of us in SE WA.

Howdy Hutch,

Yup, it is a FUN road if you enjoy riding-driving.  Have you found a truck yet, buy mine I am looking for a Pete.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

wish I would have known.....bought a one ton.  But I continue to look and may trade in a couple of years.  I did cross paths here in La Grande with "Thor and the Aventurers" from this forum....member name "s106300."  Very nice people and a nice Volvo too.

Ran it a few times around 1995, from Burns to the big road. This was in a Freightliner condo and 53ft trailer. Had a smile on my face each trip. And have it on our to run list when we get out that way. If a person takes the time to smell the  roses. That road is special to drive on.

Same on Hwy 26 from Bend to Baker City. Love that drive unless it has ice on the curves. Then its pucker factor warp 9.

event.png

Archived