New Vs Used

Cookie in Texas

I know this is going to be very subjective.  I hope everyone is nice to me ;)  But how much more do you think buying a new RV is.  My husband and I have found a used 5th wheel RV (2014 model) to that we really like for approx $30-35K.  But we've found a brand new one that we really love for about $45k.  

We'd end up with the large refrigerator (new has 8 cubic feet fridge and used has a "mid sized")  and sofas and finishes that we love.  Plus of course everything being new.  Which I know to some folks being the first one to sleep in the bed, etc is priceless.  Then there is the warranty.  But considering that we need to also purchase a truck to haul this puppy around with still, $10-15K is a very large amount of money!  We hope to use the RV for at least the next 10 years.

Obviously this is a huge purchase and we just want to be as well informed as we can be prior to pulling the trigger.  So what other things am I missing in the value of new vs used?

Thanks in advance.

About buying used. 

--  Do you have handyman capabilities and are you willing to try to fix things which don't work corretly? Even if you don't fix them, you will have a very good idea of what is wrong and are able to discuss or even direct the repairs with the people who will do the repairs.  You will have a pretty good idea if the repair people are trying to rip you off, or make repairs which are not necessary.

--  You will be paying for the repairs or buying an aftermarket extended warranty contract, and paying the deductible.

--  Highly recommended that you hire a good RV inspector/repair person and pay them for 4-6 hours labor to do a in-depth, detailed inspection.

Buying new. 

--  Most things are covered by warranty. 

--  However unless you do the more easily done repairs yourself, you will be taking the RV to a dealer and then waiting for service or a service appointment.  If you bought the RV from a local dealer, with whom you have a good relationship with you MAY (or may not) get speedy service. 

--  If you are traveling you will need to find a dealer which will do the repairs. 

--  There have been a number of reports of how bad the quality of many new RV have been.  Not that yours will be, but there is that risk.  Of course buying used you could be buying someone else's problems. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

The choice is really yours to make, however, 10-15k savings would make a nice maintenance account to start out with, even after buying a new mattress. Someone once said that the only difference between a good and a bad hair cut is about 5 days, which could also apply to a new RV vs used. Was the 2014 RV used as a full time or recreation use?

Greg

I think it's just a matter of personal preference.  We bought a 10 yr old high quality motorhome and have had it for 7 years now.  We have not been sorry.  We would never have been able to afford this quality of rv if we had purchased new.  Many full-time rvers would tell you to buy the highest quality used vs a lower quality new.  If you buy used, you can be the first one to sleep in the bed.  Start with brand new mattresses ( most of us would do that ).  Good luck with your search and purchase.

Pat DeJong

I have bought 4 used RVs and 3 new ones over more than 40 years. While not everyone will agree with me, I believe that the risk is greater when you buy used and is very dependant upon your ability to evaluate and inspect that RV before purchase, or the use of a qualified professional RV inspector. Over the years I have seen some real disasters from buying the wrong used RV. Of course new isn't risk-free completely but in most cases, there is at least a 1 year warranty period on the RV and longer for some appliances. Must of the value of that warranty is based on the dealer you choose and the company who built the RV. Dealer and manufacturer reputations are just as important as the choice of RV. 

As much as we prefer to have new so that we don't sleep in someone else's bed or buy someone else's headache, the budget involved should always be the #1 item of consideration. I think that I have seen more RV experiences end badly due to overextended financial issues than I have from any other RV related issue. If you can afford either one without any budget strain, then I would clearly go with the new one if it is your strong preference. No amount of money can make up for regretting not having bought the one you actually wanted. But if the $10k difference means the difference between financial comfort or worry, go with used. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

IMO, you are not giving us enough specific info to make valid opinions.  What is the make and model of the used unit and the new unit?  Only then can we really give you opinions of the compared value.

If the used unit started life as a $125K MSRP coach 3-4 yrs ago, it may well be a much better quality unit than the new $45K unit. 

Thank you so much for your most valuable comments.  We don't mind sharing the units we're looking at.

Here's the used:

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Texas-RV-Outlet-2926256/listing/2015-Heartland-Gateway-RVs-3650-BH-122411847  We have our eye on one that is priced a bit lower and we know it's been sitting on the lot a while.  So we're thinking maybe we could get it down to $35K.

The new unit:

http://www.funtownrv.com/product/new-2018-heartland-sundance-3700rlb-740585-5

Again thank you for all of your wisdom.  We're really trying to be smart.  We had a pop up camper about 20 years ago.  We've trailered with a F350 dually a gooseneck horse trailer.  But that is the extent of our experience.  

First of all, you DO realize that Heartland doesn't warranty either one of these for full-time use, don't you? Of course, if you aren't going full-time that doesn't make much difference. Very few people use an RV for 10 years. Many people trade fairly quickly after purchasing their first RV as they realize what they really need. Some make two or three trades in the first few years, each one getting closer to what they really need. That, alone, would be a strong argument for buying used.

We bought our Foretravel in the spring of 2013, so it was 20 years old. We are eternally grateful to the couple that shelled out the $350,000 it cost back in 1993, and the couple that bought it from them six years later and sold it to us. Without people like them who buy new coaches there wouldn't be any used ones for us to buy.

My suggestion is that you share with us what you want to do with your RV. How many people and pets will be in it? Full-time, months at a time, weekends? Will you take it somewhere and park it for several months, or will you be moving every few days? Any health or mobility issues? All of these things (and many more) factor into what is the right RV for YOU.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Since these two RVs are not that far apart, I suggest that you look at both of them and make a comparison. Spend significant time in each one, take pictures of details, make notes and weigh every detail, including the budget effect. Once you have done both, return home and lay things out to discuss the differences at leisure. 

It would seem that you must be in the Ft Worth area, so I would suggest that if you have not done so already, you should probably visit several other dealers just to compare what they have to offer and be sure that this is the right RVs to consider. 

We will not use it full-time.  We're in the Dallas/Ft Worth area.  We need the bunkhouse to work online.  We're hoping to take it out on long weekends fairly local at first to get us broke in and figure out the wi-fi etc.  Maybe next summer we'll spend a week in Maine with my niece who has a 5th wheel, spend several weeks in Pennsylvania with a cousin who has an RV, then West Virginia for a week or two.  We probably won't want to come home to the Texas heat in August.  So maybe go to Florida for a bit prior to coming home.

We have signed up for the RV Bootcamp.  We plan on attending that even if we don't have an RV.

It'll be primarily just my husband and myself.  My 91 yo mother might join us at first.  But she is extremely agile.  We'd probably just need to assist her with the steps.  She does steps fine but I'd feel better making sure she wouldn't slip.  I can see our daughter and SIL and some of my friends coming out for a few weekends.  I make a mean margarita...thus wanting to change the lower single bunk to a fold out double/queen bed.  They won't have to drive home. 

Y'all are so full of wisdom.  Thank you again.

21 hours ago, Al F said:

They are looking at 5th wheels.  So new price in the 2014 model year range is probably in the $40K-$60K range.

How did you determine this figure?  Many fifth wheels exceed $100,000 and some approach $200,000. Have a look at DRV and New Horizons.

I recommend high quality used no more than 5 years old and don't cheap out on the truck.  Get plenty of truck!

After looking at the 2 units I'm afraid you're looking at floor plan and glitter too much instead of build quality.  Mistake, mistake, mistake.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

10 hours ago, Cookie in Texas said:

We're in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. We're in the Dallas/Ft Worth area.  We need the bunkhouse to work online.  We're hoping to take it out on long weekends fairly local at first to get us broke in and figure out the wi-fi etc.

Some of our favorite places to spend time before we sold the Ft. Worth house were Bardwell Lake, Tyler State Park, Lake Whitney SP, Canton First Monday, Holiday Park on Lake Benbrook, and Cedar Hill SP on Joe Pool Lake.

We have signed up for the RV Bootcamp.

Which one are you signed up to attend? If you are going to Sedalia, MO you should plan to also attend the Escapade(and say hello when you arrive!):D

I make a mean margarita...

I am pretty good at consuming them! 

22 hours ago, Al F said:

They are looking at 5th wheels.  So new price in the 2014 model year range is probably in the $40K-$60K range.

Apparently you haven't looked at 5ers in more than a few years.  Or, you look at low end units.  Regardless, there are many 5ers over $100K MSRP.

Cookie in Texas

Not to far from Texas is a place in Chanute, Ks that carries good quality new/preowned 5th wheels if it would be of interest.  http://www.kansasrvcenter.com/  The (2) units that you have links for look to be very nice; the new has an attractive discount off of MSRP but the preowned one needs to drop more.  We always have been able to get 25-30% of the price of any prior rvs we've bought  and will not accept anything less.  If not, we walk and find another as I'm very well aware of the games dealers will play.  As another poster has indicated, it is extremely important to have enough truck for your pulling needs and safety.  As an example, the preowned unit should be pulled by a (1) ton dually but you should definitely go with a stronger truck to pull something like the new 5th wheel.  It has always amused me when I hear people(sales/other rv owners) make a statement like, "I've got a 3/4 SRW truck with a diesel that pulls my 40 ft +- 5th wheel just fine.  I just shake my head and think, but will it be able to stop?  You could put a diesel in a riding lawn mower and it would probably pull a lot of things.  Others will say, I don't want such a big truck; then buy a smaller rv folks.  Take your time, find several that you like, realistically crunch the ($)numbers then make an informed decision. 

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

I would suggest rv.org for ratings on new and used 5ers. While many have issues with their ratings they will at least get you thinking about what to look for in an RV. The first things you should look at are the frame construction and the CCC (cargo carrying capacity). A lot of cheap construction can be hidden behind glitzy fabrics and finishes. The two criteria above will weed out much of the dross and believe me the cheap stuff is the rule in this industry. Think 70's and 80's big three offerings, K-cars, Pintos etc and you will have a pretty good handle on today's run of the mill RVs.  No matter which new unit you buy it will likely have a laundry list of problems the first couple of years. BUT, don't be discouraged. The RV lifestyle is easily worth whatever hurdles you have to overcome. 

2 hours ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

How did you determine this figure?  Many fifth wheels exceed $100,000 and some approach $200,000. Have a look at DRV and New Horizons.

I recommend high quality used no more than 5 years old and don't cheap out on the truck.  Get plenty of truck!

After looking at the 2 units I'm afraid you're looking at floor plan and glitter too much instead of build quality.  Mistake, mistake, mistake.

"How did I determine the $40K-$60K price figure for new RV's?"  Well to start with the new 5th wheel they are looking at has an MSRP of $66K and a sales price of $46K.  So I am having difficulty figuring out what was wrong the my statement.  That is not to say there aren't a lot of higher priced units out there, and probably of better quality than those in the $40K-$60K range.

I do agree, looking at used higher quality 5th wheels is well worth considering.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Cookie,

Take a trip to PPL Motorhomes in Cleburne.  http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/5thwheel/5th-wheel-trailers.php

They have a pretty good selection of 5th wheels. You can see a large varieties of 5th wheels there.  They are a consignment dealer.  One nice thing about PPL is you can browse the lot at your hearts content.  No salesman to go with you. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

In 2012 we were looking at the same deal your going through. Was going to order a new unit the following week. But found one that Sunday am before church. That was the same as what we were going to order. But had a Generator, Auto Sat dish, Washer/Dryer combo and Full body paint For get this $12,000.00 less then we were going to pay for a new unit. But without that $12 to $15,000.oo extra thrown in free.

So we bought a almost new 2012 for that $12,000.00 less. It had been used 2 weeks. Backed into a climate controlled shop. Sat there 5 months, then taken out a weekend. Then back into the climate controlled shop. We bought the unit when it was just shy of 9 months old. Had been out in the weather 16 days. Had never been rained on. I crawled under it, and it was perfect under neath. Don't think one that was just delivered to the lot was this clean.

The day the unit was delivered the owner took it the 29 miles home. So it did not even sit on the lot overnight. So for us we came out better used then new. Plus we had the rest of the warranty left. Got to use it on 2 small things.

But be sure to make sure the roof and the rest of any used unit is in great shape. I did look at one nice unit. That had found its way under a low hanging limb. That limb had broken the seal on the roof. Then the rain had found its way into the walls. Unit was less then 8 months old. And guessing it had been leaking close to that length of time also.

Friends of ours just sold there DRV and truck. I fear it sold at a fire sale price. As they had been trying to sell it for the last 18 months. His wife's health failed about 3 weeks after buying it. So they could not use it, and it just sat there. Sad for both of them. But great deal for someone else.

Pete

event.png

When selling, good pictures and honesty make all the difference in the world. The wife and I have sold several through the years after owing them and maintaining them for a year or more. We have looked at some that the owner claimed were very clean, you have to see it to believe what they had! We looked for months and traveled about 400 miles looking, finally found one 20 miles away at a dealer.  Don't be afraid to make a lower offer than the asking price.

A couple of years ago we finally had the opportunity to visit PPL in Houston. We didn't have the time to go through all of the coaches there, but were rather surprised to find cleaning supplies still in a dirty bathroom, the bathroom sink sitting on the floor in another, trash in another, etc. In at least one case there was a similar coach very close by for the same price as the dirty one. Sometimes sellers don't look at their rigs through buyer's eyes.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived