Researching Class C Motorhomes

Memtb

We have been researching 2005 - 2009 Class C motorhomes. We wanted a Bigfoot as it was supposed to be very good for winter use with double pane windows and the way it heated the underbelly but they are hard to come by so we've regrouped and are looking at others that might fit our criteria. We also need something that would be able to pull a boat weighing about 5000 lbs.
So far, I've found that the Winnebago Ascent also has double pane windows and it appears that the majority of the homes all have heated underbellies. To make our research a bit easier, I was wondering if the members on this site, that owned the older, 2005 - 2009, Class C motorhomes, 22' - 27', would give us their pros and cons on the homes they own. Also, it would help if you would let us know how long you have owned your home as I believe the longer you own a home, the more critical or appreciative you are with the home. I'd appreciate any advice a member can give to assist in our search. We've owned small campers, tent campers and 5th wheels but never a motorhome so is a new adventure for us. Thanks for any information or advice you can give us.

Todd & Marianne

Sundai, Nellie and Maggie May - miniature schnauzers

2004 Teton 39' Grand Freedom / 2007 Bigfoot MH26Sl

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW, 4x4,  6.7 manual trans

You're right, sorry...looked at so many guess I made up my own model!  ??. It is the Aspect...

Todd & Marianne

Have you thought about a Class A?  While the shorter ones in the 26'-27' range don't come with double pane windows, they generally come with enclosed and heated compartments for the holding tanks. 

How cold of temps are you looking at?  If you are considering lows at 20-25* you can do pretty well w/o double pane windows.  Granted not as well, but it is doable.  Also consider a catalytic heater instead of running the furnace if you are not going to have electric hookups.  If you have elect then a 1500watt space heater or two works.  Just keep in mind with the elect heater, you will need to only have one running if you want to run the microwave or water heater. 

For example here is a link to the Winnebago 2009 Vista which has a 26' model. OOPS!  In the link given you will need to select the year and model to get the brochure. The class A has leveling jacks standard.  Also it is a lot roomier, more storage and should tow 5000 pounds.

Note that towing 5000 pounds is the upper limit for just about every class A gas MH made before Ford stated putting the 6 speed transmission in, in about 2016.  Some Class C's & I think Class A's have a limit of 3500-4000 pounds.

As you probably have noticed many, if not most Class C's have exposed black & gray water drain pipes and valves.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We had a 26' Class C, Born Free w/o slideouts, for a couple of years.  We are now in a 29' class A.  Much more comfortable. Going back some years we had a 40' diesel pusher, 33' 5th wheel, 33' travel trailer, slide on truck camper, pop top trailer.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

We've had 5th wheels since '90, ranging in size from 29' to 40' and never had any problems but can't pull the boat and the 5'er together out of state; hence the reason for looking at the class c or possibly b...never even thought about the A class...  Single digits to teens won't be uncommon temperatures.

We'll discuss the pros and cons of the A compared to the smaller units and see what we come up with.   If we actually take the step and purchase a MH, it won't be until after the first of the year.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Todd & Marianne

I've had MH's since 1977, a long time ago ! We've had 2 Lazy Daze, class C's, 2 Sprinter based class B's that we REALLY liked. The rest were class A's, from GMC's, an FMC, +++, to our present pair, we have a '03 Foretravel 36' & '14 Forester 22' class C.

One of the Sprinters was a Gulfstream, shoddy electrical @ plumbing installation, but for the money, compared to other Sprinters it was well worth the price difference...but remember, the didn't build the body. The other Sprinter was a Pleasure Way, supposed to be top shelf stuff, but to me it was no better than the GS.

The LD were very nicely executed, plumbing and electrical were VERY nicely executed. Butttt, were they worth the extra $$? Not in my book, this also goes for the Born Free, and any othe "premium" coach, the all have been fitted out with crap IMOO.

I bought the Forrester knowing the "quality" (or lack there of), but it was short, had a queen size bed we could get to both sides of and it's on a CHEVY chassis, all were on my list of requirements.

oh, we tried a 5th wheel Hitch Hiker, made one trip, Texas to S.D. & rtn, hated that experience. It ended up in the oil field, new owner thought he had hit the jackpot!

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

Al F: Just looked at the Winnebago Vista information and it does look tempting...as I said earlier, we only want to do this once and we really appreciate the information and suggestions.

We are hunters and I would like to do some hog hunting in Texas or white tail hunting in Louisiana (where DH is from) and would love to take the Polaris UTV with us.  We also have a boat that we could enjoy at Lake Powell during the striper run and would enjoy it more if we had a place of our own to camp out in rather than renting rooms and eating out...that just isn't us!!

Todd & Marianne

Dewilso,

What's your favorite of the two you own?  There's quite a bit of difference in the size so does the 36' handle just as well on the road as the 22'?  I was told today that Class A homes are affected by the semi's passing them...in your opinion, has this ever bothered you while on the road with the 36'?  I don't want my husband to be the only one to drive so I want something that I'm comfortable driving also...yes, I drove a semi in 1996-1998 and had no problem BUT that was 20 years ago...

Todd & Marianne

The 36' is to big for what we do, i hate taking it anywhere off pavement, which kinda dampers boondocking, dry camping is limited to paved parking lots. Many folks will tell you that size is not an issue, but it is for us. We like to travel, and see things along the road, pretty tuff to just wander some time in a small town, or make a U turn if you think you missed something.

We are in Alaska now, in the Foretravel, it has a residential chest freezer and refrigerator. I brought it so I could fill the freezer with Salmon & Halibut, No way for those in a 22'. It has 1200W of solar on it, no room for that on a 22', but no need for that much either. 8 airbag suspension, and #34k not much bothers it on the highway, including trucks. My wife can, and will drive either, we both have class B license in Texas.

Which do I like best...the Foretravel will go on the market when we return home.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

We do just about everything boondocking so the smaller one appeals to us also.

We're headed to Alaska next year with our 5th wheel. We have 6-120 watt solar panels with 6 batteries.  The people who owned this before us installed all the panels and batteries.

We put a small freezer in there and run it on a separate 800 watt inverter.  We also have a 2500 watt inverter that we use when needed.  I prepare meals before we head out and freeze them so when we're on the road, they go from the freezer to the oven so very little preparation on the road.  We also plan on bringing fish home when we go.    It sure beats trying to keep everything cold in coolers!

if we buy a 26' C class, we're going to make sure the floor plan allows for a small freezer also.  

Todd & Marianne

Whichever MH you buy, be sure to check out the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity)  Many times the smaller (and larger ones) have a limited CCC.  Especially once you add a full tank of fresh water and half to full tanks of gray & black water.  Also be sure to compare the fresh water tanks on Class C's to Class A's. 

Some Class C's have a large, behind the rear axle, outside access compartment you could put a freezer.  However putting a lot of stuff in that big storage compartment can easily over load the rear axle, which can cause handling problems.

I can't think of a small Class A that you could fit a small freezer in the storage compartments.  Or it would have to be a very tiny freezer. 

Going to Alaska.  We went in 2016.  4 1/2 months from Portland, OR, to Alaska and back to Portland.  Wonderful trip.  All boondocking or dry camping except for 2 of the 139 days of the trip. No CG reservations except for Denali. Only ran the generator once for a couple of hours.   However keeping a freezer running with just solar might be a challenge.  There will be several day stretches of cloudy weather.  If you are interested, look at our Alaska trip in the blog noted in the signature line. 

Single digit to low teens for temps is a challenge for most any RV.  Especially boondocking.  The furnace needs to be run to keep the water compartments/tanks heated, which takes a toll on your battery capacity. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Thanks Al, heading to your blog after sending this message.  We found a few MH's that have an additional lounge chair in the living area and we're leaning toward that floor plan...remove the chair behind the passengers seat and we can probably put a small freezer there.  It won't be as big as what we have in the 5th wheel but will be sufficient for our needs. 

We're  very familiar with boondocking with the 5th wheel as that's our way of life, but I'm sure the MH is going to be a whole new ball game.  Thanks again for the info.

Todd & Marianne

Both you and your DW need to sit in the cockpit of any Class C you consider, esp. running the engine, you'll see why I wanted a Chevy instead of another Ford E450 chassis. Let the passenger feel the ergonomics, or lack there of. The Sprinter based C's and A's did not have the carrying capacity, nor tankage we wanted.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

Don't overlook RVs that are listed as Class B+.  They are usually Class Cs with entertainment centers over the cockpit instead of sleeping areas; which for old folks like us are mostly inaccessible anyhow.  We love our Phoenix Cruiser.

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

Dewilso - we have looked at a few Class C's but most of our research has been on the Internet.  When we get a chance, we'll do exactly that!

Jeff and Suzanne - The entertainment center appeals to us also...we didn't know that is what differentiated the B+ from the C's. Thanks!

Todd & Marianne

• 1 month later...

I own a 2016 Minnie Winnie 22R, it is a short Class C, being  23'10". It has double pain windows and heated holding tanks. My RV was ordered with these features, so some may not have them. This is true for most manufactures, even within the same models some will have these features and some will not, just depends on how they were ordered. A boat a 5000lbs, is quite heavy, I do tow a car with my class c, its weight is about 3500lbs, 

2021 Winnebago 26t 27'1" LONG, TWO SLIDES, WALK A ROUNF BED  August delivery Picked up on the 8th

2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (toad)

2013 F150 EcoBoost

Escapee #97975

WIT Club #157495

Evergreen Winnies

1st RV 2010 Wildwood 5er bunk house

2nd RV used 2001 Itasca Suncrusier

3rd RV Winnebago 22R

4th & finial RV 2021 MW 26T Ford 450 Chassis with the new 7.3lT V8

We found a 2007 Bigfoot MH26Sl and purchased it in August. Our plans were to wait until after the first of the year BUT we got in a hurry.  It had a little over 21,000 miles and appears to be in "near new" condition.  We've made one overnight trip so far and have bought cables for winter driving.  We're considering a grill guard as we live in Wyoming and there are a lot of animals on the highways...has anyone here installed a grill guard on their E450 class C MH?

Todd & Marianne

Doit2010:  concerning your Minnie Winnie, does it have enclosed tanks heated by the MH heater or exposed tanks with heat pads?  

Todd & Marianne

Exposed tanks, heated by heat pads, are you sure you want to travel Wyoming in the Winter with a Class C motor home?

I use to live in Billings Mt. and sold explosives to the seismic crews looking for oil, and traveling Wyoming in the winter was bad enough in a car, let alone in a motorhome of any kind.

Winnebago just came out with a class B 4x4 build on the Mercedes chassis, that might have been just what you were looking for, although the cost might scare many people off.

2021 Winnebago 26t 27'1" LONG, TWO SLIDES, WALK A ROUNF BED  August delivery Picked up on the 8th

2013 F150 EcoBoost

Escapee #97975

WIT Club #157495

Evergreen Winnies

3rd RV Winnebago 22R

1 hour ago, doit2010 said:

Winnebago just came out with a class B 4x4 build on the Mercedes chassis, that might have been just what you were looking for, although the cost might scare many people off.

The Winnebago Ravel is a Class B toy hauler!!! Although the low ground clearance won't let you be too adventurous. But a Class B toy hauler!!!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

doit2010 - in our research, we found that almost every class C were, as you described, available with exposed tanks and heat pads.  The Bigfoot seemed to be the only one (with the possible exception of Triple E) where the tanks and valves were enclosed and heated.  

On the winter travel, we don't plan on intentionally seeking out ice and snow conditions for travel but will be prepared with the tire cables if the situation arises.  We try not to let a little weather stand between us and RV use.  

A 4x4 MH would certainly be nice but the purchase of a NEW MH is out of the question.  If we really want/need a 4x4, we believe a 4x4 conversion on our unit would be doable but very expensive.

Sandsys - the class b toy hauler sounds interesting but sounds like the cargo bay would be quite small. Well have to look one up on the 'Net to see what it looks like. 

Thanks for all the info!

Todd & Marianne

Linda Sand, here is the link to the Winnebago 4X4, 

, this is NO toy hauler, check it out and will new.

2013 F150 EcoBoost

Escapee #97975

WIT Club #157495

Evergreen Winnies

3rd RV Winnebago 22R

Although the idea of having a4x4 coach is desirable, the Winnebago 4x4 is not at all what we would consider.  It looks like it would fit the lifestyle of someone who isn't out for weeks at a time like we camp during the fall months.  We will be taking  the 5th wheel when we go hunting in November as we'll probably be out for 2-3 weeks.  We have the Teton set up with 6 solar panels and six batteries.  The C Class is for short term camping or when we spend a few days visiting friends or family.

Todd & Marianne

Archived