Camera wiring

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

Since many of us in the HDT world have the Levithan_Holdings camera systems off of E-bay, I'm hoping that someone can tell me how hard it is to splice the wiring?

I'm moving the camera's off of the Carrilite onto the DRV.  On the Carrilite I drilled a 3/8" (or larger?) hole for the camera plug end to fit thru the RV siding and rear cap, but I really don't want to drill large holes in the DRV if I don't have to.  The camera cable is smaller than 1/4" and the smaller the hole, the easier to seal.

So my questions are-

Is the camera cabling twisted pairs of wire like phone conductor or is it a coax style- sheathed with an inner core?

At the WCR, Ronbo had an umbilical cable that had been cut, and it was 22 or 24 gauge wiring running thru the sheathing.

Are the rest of the cables like this? Or?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The wires are just twisted inside the sheathing. I generally cut the ends off and splice them into either cat5 or into individual lines for just the video/power. Then run them over to the truck from the trailer. No issue with soldering them. It just depends on what you want to do......

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jim, while not absolutely necessary, it is always better to use shielded coaxial cable when making long runs with composite video signals, especially when the cables are subjected to many different RF and electromagnetic fields.  You will have a lessened chance of signal interference and loss.  The impedance of the cable is not critical to these devices.   Fully shielded Cat5 or Cat6 as Jack suggested should be OK as well.  I just haven't tried using it.  I run RG-6 type coaxial cable simply because it is easy to attach the F type compression connectors or even BNC or RCA if you prefer.  The tool to attach compression connectors is inexpensive - check Amazon.  They also have the RCA connectors that should mate directly with your camera and monitor.  I have a run all the way from the back of my fiver that has a F connector at the HDT and then completes the run to the monitor.  Always a sharp, clear picture.  Also less chance of damage from the tiny video cable provided with the camera.  It is the same amount of time and labor to run the coaxial cable.  Power cable type is not critical. 

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

What Randy said is the same thing I'd say if you are maintaining the coax "situation" with RCA connectors. I generally run so many cameras that I condense the video feeds into a single cat5 via splicing. And then run that to a selector box that I hand build. That gives me less wires to manage - way less. But it is work to do.....I consider it a "one time job", though. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Like Jack, I used CAT-5 cable for my cameras.  I used a separate cable for each camera.  Used one twisted pair for power and one for signal. (built-in spares).  CAT-5 is very easy to run.   I had three camera, one at the end of the trailer, one at the hitch and one on the headache rack.

I used two monitors each switchable to two inputs.  Didn't need external switches.

Had no interference with CAT-5 running from the rear of the trailer (40') and from the connector on the truck to the monitor (30')  For connecting from trailer to truck I used a curled 4-wire toad cable with 7-blade connectors.  7-Blade connectors have a scrapping action when being inserted which keeps the contacts surfaces in better condition.

I did solder plugs and camera connector to the CAT-5 wires but run an inch or two of the twisted core wire from the plugs twisted around the solid core of a CAT-5 wire.  The twisting takes the stress off of the solder joint.  The 22-24 gauge CAT-5 wire is very thin and soldering makes it brittle. 

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone,

I have a need to replace the male and female ends close to the camera. One of the pins corroded off and broke. There is no way to remove this pin. My questions are the wires colored coded ? What type of plug would you use for this repair ? If I have to, I can spice the wires together. I have not cut into the wires yet. I hope the wires are color coded. The cable has 4 pins. How many wires go to the camera ?

Thanks for any help,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

4 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

I have a need to replace the male and female ends close to the camera. One of the pins corroded off and broke. There is no way to remove this pin. My questions are the wires colored coded ? What type of plug would you use for this repair ? If I have to, I can spice the wires together. I have not cut into the wires yet. I hope the wires are color coded. The cable has 4 pins. How many wires go to the camera ?

Thanks for any help,
Al

Al, The wires are coded.  I soldered all mine when we switched rigs.  No issues.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

14 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Al, The wires are coded.  I soldered all mine when we switched rigs.  No issues.

Is it possible to use a 4 prong plug like a 4 wire trailer hitch plug ? I would like to have the ability to un-plug the camera if the is a need. 

Thank you for any help,    Thanks Jim for the help.
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I did in the beginning.  But 4-round plugs are fragile with a lot of use.  The pins loose their spring and the sleeve contacts come loose.  

I would up using a 7-flat blade trailer plug/receptacle.  It may seem like over kill but 7-blade plugs/receptacles are robust and there is a swiping action of the contacts cleaning them as the plug is inserted.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Most of this is making sense to me.  (I have not purchased my cameras or screen yet)  Can someone provide a photo or 2 of the connections they made?   "yeah, 220 or 221, whatever it takes."  Michael Keaton

On 7/23/2017 at 3:48 PM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I did solder plugs and camera connector to the CAT-5 wires but run an inch or two of the twisted core wire from the plugs twisted around the solid core of a CAT-5 wire.  The twisting takes the stress off of the solder joint.  The 22-24 gauge CAT-5 wire is very thin and soldering makes it brittle. 

On 7/23/2017 at 1:19 PM, RandyA said:

Fully shielded Cat5 or Cat6 as Jack suggested should be OK as well.  I just haven't tried using it.  I run RG-6 type coaxial cable simply because it is easy to attach the F type compression connectors or even BNC or RCA if you prefer.

RG-6 

75 Ohm Flexible RG6-CATV Coax Cable Triple Shielded with Black PVC (NC) Jacket CAT-5 Image result for cat-5 wire

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

21 hours ago, Sculptor said:

Most of this is making sense to me.  (I have not purchased my cameras or screen yet)  Can someone provide a photo or 2 of the connections they made?   "yeah, 220 or 221, whatever it takes."  Michael Keaton

RG-6 

75 Ohm Flexible RG6-CATV Coax Cable Triple Shielded with Black PVC (NC) Jacket CAT-5 Image result for cat-5 wire

The Cat 5 cable is what I redid my cameras with.  It works better with the camera wiring.  Camera wiring on mine from Levithan Holdings (no longer in business) was twisted pairs as well.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim I ran my cable across the roof and into a box that is on top of the rig. Then down the existing hole and into the basement then forward. Prevented drilling a hole in the cap and fishing the cable. could also go over the top and down a vent pipe.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Archived