"What is a Deep Cycle Battery" write-up

Yarome

58 minutes ago, TheLongWayHome said:

rideandfly,

Some general guidance on wiring multiple (I believe you potentially going to add one more) batteries in parallel. I generally use method 3 is there is space and I believe its easier to do swap-outs or other changes. Based on what I can determine from the pictures, I would put the yellow wire going to the charge controller on the other battery (not the same battery as the red wire going to the charge controller).

I believe your solar charge controller in only 10A, but not sure what gauge wire you are using or how far away the charge controller is located. Perhaps it came as a fixed gauge and length with the kit. Also presume the load will be taken off the charge controller directly. Here is a table and tool to help with wire gauge. Bigger wire (smaller gauge number) is always better for less voltage drop as the current and distance increases. Only limited by cost and the ability to work it in the space given!! ;)

TheLongWayHome,

Appreciate the guidance. Yep, I wired the batterys method 1 and will wire the yellow GND to the charge controller from the other battery. The solar controller is 10A and using the original Renogy wiring looks like 14AGW 2C cable from controller to batterys.

Everyone here is very helpful! Thanks!

Bill

Oliver TT

Thanks! That's what I thought I was seeing. Thelongwayhome already provided a couple of links. As far the the method, and going from the link that was provided, here is my take:

Method #4 is the most "correct" for optimal battery health, but doesn't always apply.
Method #2 is what "most" RV'rs do: Simple and "efficient" power delivery.
Method #3 is a nice compromise between #4 and #2 and has some advantages at the potential expense of efficient power delivery. 
Method #1 should be avoided unless there is no other option.

With only 2 batteries in your your bank, #2 or #3 is probably where you want to be. Since you already have your cables... and considering:

• Efficiency in/out is "key" in my book.
  • There are only VERY marginal gains in charge distribution in a 2 battery bank.
  • The only "real" advantage (in your case) would be for ease of battery bank expansion..

...my recommend would be to stick with #2.

As was said... flip-flop your neg. cables.

There appears to be an issue with the wire gauge link, but here it is

Archived