GFI

16 minutes ago, maggie blair said:

The replacement GFI was wired wrong by the HANDYMAN and his info was incorrect. The electrician wired the GFI correctly and he was out of here in 15 minutes (and 200.00). 

I sure appreciate all the support that is given on this site! Thanks again! Have a great day! ?

I wanna be an electrician and make 800 bucks an hour . 

At least , it's fixed . 

Goes around , comes around .

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/21/2017 at 0:19 AM, Chad Heiser said:

Maggie,  what bobsallyh is describing and what your are describing are not the same things.  What you did is correct, putting the white wires on the side that said white and the black wires on the side that said black, etc.  This would be all you have to do to make a standard receptacle work and pass power to additional receptacles down the line.  There is an additional step, however, with a GFCI receptacle.

What bobsallyh was explaining is that a GFCI receptacle has a supply side and a load side.  The supply side is the breaker fed side and the load side is the wire that feeds all the remaining receptacles in the line.  Imagine the GFCI receptacle is two different plugs connected in the middle.  One of the plugs is the supply side and the other is the load side.  You have to feed the "supply" plug on the receptacle from the breaker and you have to connect the "load" plug to the wire going to the remaining receptacles in the line.  If you reverse these two connections, the GFCI receptacle will not pass any power down the line.  The GFCI receptacle should have some additional labeling on it to indicate which end is the supply side and which end is the load side.  I am going from memory here, but I think the top plug in the receptacle is usually the supply side and the bottom plug is usually the load side.  Make sure you have the supply and load wires connected to the correct ends of the GFCI receptacle.

You were exactly right! I could not figure all if that out but an electrician did. 75.00 for a call and 115.00 minimum hour. Expensive but it's fixed. 

Maggie Blair

2 hours ago, maggie blair said:

75.00 for a call and 115.00 minimum hour. Expensive but it's fixed.

I retired from field service and while the price was high for the time that was required, it was not if you consider what he might have been making elsewhere. A 1-hour minimum is reasonable and his call out charge is also. At the time that I retired, my employer charged an initial call out charge of $120 plus 1-hour minimum as well and I retired in 2000. It was an expensive lesson in choosing who you get help from. A licensed handyman should know how to wire a GFI device and if you paid him for his work, I would be in touch with him about the result. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Wow house calls are spendy! Glad it was an easy fix but if my feeble mind remembers w/o scrolling back Didnt Dearest Maggie install GFI 1st ? :rolleyes::P

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

3 hours ago, maggie blair said:

Yes sir and the handyman said I had installed it incorrectly. Obviously he didn't know how to correct the situation either. Oh well it's all fixed now and that's what matters.

WE live and learn and hopefully our mistakes arent to spendy!   I had a clutch put in by a mechanic if you want to call him that Frank at Quartzsite so & so's towing service. He screwed up, I didnt have to pay that bill but farther down the road it bit me/ New clutch and transmission to the tune of $8K So Maggie you have a long way to go to catch up with me:huh::)

Jim Spence

3 hours ago, maggie blair said:

Yes sir and the handyman said I had installed it incorrectly. Obviously he didn't know how to correct the situation either. Oh well it's all fixed now and that's what matters.

Maggie in a situation like yours I take a picture before I take it apart and if needed I color code the wires with tape

Jim Spence

1 hour ago, Devilishjim said:

Maggie in a situation like yours I take a picture before I take it apart and if needed I color code the wires with tape

I took pics but didn't know much about the load and lead wite etc. I think that's what they were called. Let's hope that doesn't happen again....

Maggie Blair

You should have thought to have the electrician train you on the multi-meter.  You paid for a full hour.  I am sure you were not thinking about that, though. 

In case you haven't tried it, check out YouTube for vids.  Lots of training type videos there.  If you wonder if they are showing the proper way to do things, start a thread here and post a link to the vid.  That way you'll get lots of feedback on the vids accuracy.

1 hour ago, remoandiris said:

You should have thought to have the electrician train you on the multi-meter.  You paid for a full hour.  I am sure you were not thinking about that, though. 

In case you haven't tried it, check out YouTube for vids.  Lots of training type videos there.  If you wonder if they are showing the proper way to do things, start a thread here and post a link to the vid.  That way you'll get lots of feedback on the vids accuracy.

I didn't think of that but it would have been an excellent idea. The you tube is another great idea. Thanks so much.

12 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

I took pics but didn't know much about the load and lead wite etc. I think that's what they were called. Let's hope that doesn't happen again....

Maggie Blair

Archived