American Legion Going Broke?

Biker56

Is the American Legion getting short of money? In the last 2 weeks I have gotten two emails asking me to pay my 2018 dues.

6 months before they are due. whats up with that? Maybe Good Sam showed them how to do that. :)

Email subject line: IMPORTANT xxxxxx
You get your membership renewal out of the way early, saving you time and stress.

The American Legion, in turn, gets to put more resources to work in communities such as yours, rather than sending out renewal notices.

I know that later they will send me many renewal notices via USPS at $ cost to them.
PS I never get stressed out about paying my dues on time. And it will take the same amount of time now as later to pay. I don't see where any time is saved paying early.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Biker56, I believe all outfits do this. Can't answer about the American Legion since I'm a Life Member. But Sam's Club has to be the king of wanting renewals. And Sports Illustrated and I parted company years ago over their "Time To Renew".  

Biker,

Like Bob I am a life member of the Air Force Sergeant's Association (AFSA). I was Legion year to year but I don't drink beer or smoke anymore so the local Legion posts, and the giant VFW post here are pretty much not interesting to me to hang out in.

I get all my heads up on legislation affecting us Vets from AFSA.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I don't mind renewing memberships early if I get some reward for doing so. For example, I recently got an email from Passport America offering me 4 free months if I renewed early. So I renewed early. The email offers I get from the VFW and American Legion are for lifetime memberships at a reduced rate. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

7 hours ago, Sehc said:

I left AL and VFW. The wanttobes at the bars and events depress me. And I don't like the magazines.

Pretty much the same reasons for me. 

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

On 7/20/2017 at 8:23 AM, Biker56 said:

Is the American Legion getting short of money?

I think that what they may be dealing with is a loss of members. I know that there have been few of the Vietnam veterans joining and even fewer of those from Desert Storm or other eras of veterans. It may be that they are trying to sew up members to be sure not to loose them. I know of two smaller Legion posts that have closed due to lack of members and another that is hanging on by chartering members via the "Sons of the American Legion." The military has been getting smaller every year for a long time now so even if they somehow find a way to attract new veterans, there won't be enough available to keep all chapters of all organizations going. 

For nearly two generations, no American has been obligated to join up, and few do. Less than 0.5 percent of the population serves in the armed forces, compared with more than 12 percent during World War II.May 26, 2013

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My biggest peeve from the AL is they keep sending Holiday cards, Address labels, etc and expecting donations. I get a very limited SS income and have to make a tight budget to live for a month! I have asked them to stop, wrote and it does no good. 

I have been debating whether to renew or not as I don't attend due to smoking (I am an ex smoker--5+ yrs.) and don't drink. I do like the stories and information in the Magazine, which keeps me leaning toward renewing!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

4 days later. :angry: Hope I don't get a email every 4 days until Dec. when I usually renew. :(
They really seem despite and aggressive for money. I quit drinking back in 1983 and haven't been inside a Legion Post for over 20 years. I just renew every year to help out the Post I have belonged too since the early 70's. Back then I went every weekend for good food. And they always had a band, and several single gals to dance with. :)

American Legion Member status: ACTIVE

Renewed for 2018? NOT YET

Deadline for Renewal: ASAP

RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP TODAY

Larry,

This notice is to inform you that your American Legion membership status for 2018 is PENDING. You must renew today to ensure your membership with Post xx and all benefits continue without interruption for 2018.

Should your membership expire, you will no longer receive the discounts, services, and other benefits you deserve for your service to our nation.

Please review your membership status report above and take action immediately.

Remember, ONLY Legionnaires who renew their memberships will continue to receive these benefits:

FREE: Travel Benefits Package (includes savings for car rentals, moving services, cruises, and thousands of hotels and motels)

FREE: Prescription drug plan package and discounts on hearing services and aids

FREE: Special offers throughout the year that will save you and your family money

FREE: A full year’s subscription to The American Legion Magazine, packed with news and articles of interest to America’s veterans

369070033.jpg

Biker,

Despite being a life member of AFSA I'm finding myself throwing out the magazine without even skimming it. I'm sure not interested in Genuine gold plated double eagle coins, and getting a watch with the USAF crest on it ain't happening. My peeve are the mailings I get from insurance affiliates selling death benefit insurance for accidental death or dismemberment. Hey, looky here Lynn! I get $25k if my eye gets poked out, same for an arm and a leg. And I don't need a supplement for Tricare For Life. Tricare is the supplement coverage for Medicare, duh.

AFSA makes money from them I know but I don't wear military retired ball caps or any hats/caps. No I served except for a Retired Air Force front license plate. I shop on base for big ticket items with no tax since they started price matching.

But I'm not into living in the past. Sure the military defined me for half of my life but next year it will be 20 years since I retired from the AF. I have my friends but none are military retired since my best friend Bob died last December just before my FIL. He was Army Intelligence. We'd do the usual jokes and interservice rivalry just to show we could do it better than the folks who took it seriously.

I do carry my military unit challenge coin every day. It's sort of my good luck piece. I was in the last red hat group as a separate career field:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=usaf+combat+arms+instructor+coin&id=55187E164A4BC91A85F60E7CAD76CD0796A08031&FORM=IQFRBA

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Uh, dumb question but what is the deal with the American Legion and VFW?  Is it really just going to drink and smoke somewhere with other vets?  I've heard of these organizations but don't really know anything about them.  Do they take their wives with them or is it considered bad form to bring your spouse (like a guys-only place)?

I grew up thinking of them as a bunch of old guys that wore funny hats and claimed to do charity stuff.

53 minutes ago, oldbutspry said:

Uh, dumb question but what is the deal with the American Legion and VFW?  Is it really just going to drink and smoke somewhere with other vets?

Unfortunately, for many chapters that is mostly what they are known for. At the national level, nearly all of the veteran organizations also do lobbying for what they believe is in the best interest of their veteran members. The Legion also holds remembrance ceremonies for Memorial Day, as do some of the others. Some chapters also have ceremonial teams that do burial ceremonies for deceased veterans, often even if the veteran was not a member. Most of them also have a "veteran services officer" of some type who will assist members in applying for various benefits or in appealing a negative decision. There are a few rare posts that have made an effort to become more family oriented, but those are rare. The Legion post in Lindale, TX has sold the old club and built a new one east of town that is on a small private lake and there they have a picnic, camping, and fishing facilities for member families and are working to get the younger vets to join. Sadly, most of the chapters of both organizations you mention in our area are mostly a restaurant and bar for telling old war stories.  Because I don't agree with some of their political positions and since my wife is allergic to smoke, I did not join them. 

I'm a member of the American Legion. We gladly furnish every veteran with an honor guard if their surviving spouse requests a military funeral. We periodically participate in local food drives, volunteer to provide yard work, etc to families of deceased military members in our area, and of course are the main participants in military holiday observations. The AL and VFW posts here are family oriented, we have weekly family dinners, etc. We have a large inventory of free-for-the-asking, wheelchairs, walkers, even motorized handicap scooters for loan as long as it is needed. Our post is the largest in Indiana, and the oldest. We also support the Veterans home of Indiana, and veterans cemeteries in Indiana where any honorably discharged veteran and qualifying spouse may be interred.

Yes, I remember decades ago when there were stag nights, now a thing of the past. We have strict rules about cursing, improper behavior, drunkeness, etc., post is smoke-free by city ordinance and state law.

There is a Saturday evening drawing where you put in $5 for a chance to win the pot. Last week a man won the $7,000 pot.(winner take all, post does not take a cut)

AL dues are $40/yr, about one good meal for two at a medium quality restaurant.

Most Veterans since desert-storm do not seem interested in joining any type of club.  The local VFW held a Brickyard 400 race party, snacks provided, for members and guests.

The Sons of the American Legion are folks who have a former military family member, parent,grandparent etc.They take an active role at the post,mostly doing things us old dogs can no longer do.

Smaller AL posts may not have these things to offer, however they do have respected veterans who do what they can to make their community better.  HOORAH!

Durn, sorry Biker I forgot to answer your question about early-bird dues payment. Our post throws members who pay upcoming year dues early a free dinner every year as thanks for maintaining our membership and supporting our post. It doesn't cost anything more, I'm merely paying my 2018 dues 6 months early and avoiding the year-end rush.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

6 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Most Veterans since desert-storm do not seem interested in joining any type of club. 

I don't think it is quite that simple. Of my 3 veteran sons, 1 did join the Legion for a time to ride with the Legion riders but has since dropped out. He says he got tired of being the "kid" as he is only 50. He and his next younger brother are both members of local citizen's groups but no vet club. Our youngest son is retired from 24 years service and has 2 combat tours behind him but is not a member of any veteran's group. He is active in his church (holding an office) and is VP of his community association. In my experience, your post is unusual in being so active in the community and I suspect that the activities are the reason your post is still healthy. 

Much of the problem is that when any group reaches a point that the vast majority of members are parents and grandparents of the potential new members, it becomes very difficult to interest the younger folks in joining. This age gap issue is the very reason that Escapees began the X-scapers side of things. Many organizations and clubs suffer that same issue. If we fail to attract the younger people's interest in joining, our club/organization will die of old age attrition. For veteran's clubs, the problem is even greater because the available number of qualified veterans is falling. 

Your 4 years need to be done during the below times to be qualified.

Eligibility Information

If you have served federal active duty in the United States Armed Forces during any of the war eras listed below, and have been honorably discharged or are still serving -- you are eligible for membership in The American Legion!

*August 2, 1990 to today(Persian Gulf/ War on Terrorism)

December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990(Operation Just Cause - Panama)

August 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984(Lebanon/Grenada)

February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975(Vietnam)

June 25, 1950 to January 31, 1955(Korea)

December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946(World War II)

April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918(World War I)

*Because eligibility dates remain open, all members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.

U.S. Merchant Marine eligible only from December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 (WWII).

369070033.jpg

Duke,

Ray said it best.  I served from January 1971 to 1 February 1998.

So I was active during

*August 2, 1990 to today(Persian Gulf/ War on Terrorism)

December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990(Operation Just Cause - Panama)

August 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984(Lebanon/Grenada)

February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975(Vietnam)

But that is just the Legion.

It is different for each,

VFW

https://www.vfw.org/-/media/VFWSite/Files/Join/One-PageEligibilitySheet.pdf?la=en

The Air Force Sergeants Association only requires active service in the USAF at some time honorably:

http://www.afsa858.org/membership/eligibility.htm

I am a lifetime AFSA member which local meetings and magazine lkeep me in the loop. However in the last three or four years I have paid little attention to anything other than the legislation alerts and of course they got me started with Megavote, where I can see exactly which bills were voted on in the house and Senate.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/megavote/

Sign up and see how your congress critters and senators vote. I write mine regularly and they rarely answer any question beyond "we will take your opinion under consideration. But they do pay attention when enough voters become active.

I was horrified to see the senate allow private business to see all my browsing history and sell it to third parties. Boy does that make blackmail easy.

I saw it when it happened from Megavote's emails of my senate and house members votes.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/03/senate-votes-to-let-isps-sell-your-web-browsing-history-to-advertisers/

I Can't wait to see what a Senator's browsing history sells for after those idiots passed this disaster-in-waiting.

Kirk which vet organization did/do you belong to?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 7/26/2017 at 8:05 AM, TheDuke said:

What in h is a ' qualified vet'.

That just depends upon which veteran's organization you mean. I believe that the American Legion says any vet with an honorable discharge in the specified time periods The VFW requires service on foreign soil and in specific times and places. The DAV has rules requiring some disability that is service connected. I believe that AMVETS accepts any honorably discharged veteran. 

• 1 month later...

The AL that I used to belong to before I went full time had a separate smoking section. You were not allowed to smoke at the bar or dinning room area. I think this policy should be at every location to assist those members who are not smokers and still provide an area for those who do smoke. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I have been a member of The AL in TN. for the past 5 yrs. since i moved here! I am not that active as I have not drank alcohol since Aug. of 1988, I quit smoking after four unsuccessful attempts. March of 2012 due to a severe heart attack I finally kicked it in the bud! I have been only twice in those years, once for a fish fry and once to a dinner. I do not need to be around either of MY OLD HABITS! 

Not here to provoke any controversy, but it would be nice if Legion halls had seperate areas for nonsmokers and drinkers!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Archived