I- Shift transmission oil

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have another maintenance question. Who has sampled the transmission oil in their I-Shift transmission ? I have an idea of how to do it.

Thanks for any put,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

What is Volvo's opinion on the topic? I was under the impression that it is a completely sealed unit, no field service possible and the only way to repair it was to replace the entire unit. Are you trying to predict a failure? I thought that the transmission would give other indications of it's demise. If few people are sampling the units, the laboratories that analyse the sample would have little to go on to give you an opinion on the condition. Their interpretation of the any sample is critical. And all of them will tell you they can't give you a good quality opinion without several samples taken at regular intervals of the same unit, combined with the aggregate experience they have accumulated with similar units. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

3 minutes ago, beyerjf said:

What is Volvo's opinion on the topic? I was under the impression that it is a completely sealed unit, no field service possible and the only way to repair it was to replace the entire unit. Are you trying to predict a failure? I thought that the transmission would give other indications of it's demise. If few people are sampling the units, the laboratories that analyse the sample would have little to go on to give you an opinion on the condition. Their interpretation of the any sample is critical. And all of them will tell you they can't give you a good quality opinion without several samples taken at regular intervals of the same unit, combined with the aggregate experience they have accumulated with similar units. 

Jeff, I believe Volvo recommends a flush and fill around 500k on the I-Shift.  I don't believe it is a Speedco or self-serviceable unit though.  Others will chime in and correct me I'm sure...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The flush and fill would be an effective PM, but a sample taken once at that point would be borderline useless. Sounds like the current service procedure on modern automatic transmissions. They no longer recommend pulling the pan, replacing the filter etc. They also flush and refill. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Hi Everyone,

The video that I have seen on Gregg's site, it looks like he just drains the transmission and chances the filter and refills the transmission with new synthetic fluid. He does not talk about a flush. Unless my idea about what a flush is, I could be wrong on what I am thinking. The transmission fluid is expensive. I don't think that you would flush the transmission with expensive fluid. I was hoping that the oil analysis report would show any metallic particles and the count in ppm.

Hopefully Jack has a comment to offer.

Al

I have a comment :)

Volvo says that you should not sample the trans fluid. Change it on the schedule only. We generally change it in all the trucks that we build up, unless it has already been done recently. And if I bought a truck that was "close" to the miles then I'd change it out, preemptively, just so I knew what I had. Otherwise I'd leave it alone unless I had an issue. These transmissions are very robust and designed to go a long time between changes. If it is working well and you are not near a change point then I'd leave it alone.  

As an example, we are currently acquiring a spec truck that has very low miles (under 200K). That truck will get its trans fluid changed.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

18 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

I have a comment :)

Volvo says that you should not sample the trans fluid. Change it on the schedule only. We generally change it in all the trucks that we build up, unless it has already been done recently. And if I bought a truck that was "close" to the miles then I'd change it out, preemptively, just so I knew what I had. Otherwise I'd leave it alone unless I had an issue. These transmissions are very robust and designed to go a long time between changes. If it is working well and you are not near a change point then I'd leave it alone.  

As an example, we are currently acquiring a spec truck that has very low miles (under 200K). That truck will get its trans fluid changed.

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your comment. The truck does have about 450,000 miles on it. It sounds like I should start thinking about a transmission fluid and filter change.

Al

Archived