Smart Car day time running lights

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am going to take a chance about asking this question because of the number of Smart Cars that are used in this section of the forum. I want to add day time running lights to a 2006 Smart. I was wondering want is the best way to add the lights. I have looked for day time running light kits for this year Smart with no luck. I am not worried about finding a kit. I want to know the best way to add wiring to the car. And where is the best place to get power from ? Is there any grommets or holes on the firewall to run wires thru ? On the light switch there is the first symbol shows a picture of some kind of light but if you go to this position the parking or running lights do not come on with the switch in that position you need to go to the second position to get any lights to come on. My question is. Is there any wires coming out to the front of the car that this position on the switch can control ?

Please give me some kind of insight,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al 

Your car being an 06 is a model 450and isn't very common is the U.S.  In Canada we got the 450 in 05 and 06 as the diesel only.  You may want to join clubsmartcar.com it's free and supports the 450 cdi.  Our cars came with DRL from the factory and if you search there you will find how to turn it on and off.  We also had our turn signals in the grille where the European cars had fog lights.  I'm sure someone a clubsmartcar can help you but make sure you tell them your car is a gasser.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Al 

Your car being an 06 is a model 450and isn't very common is the U.S.  In Canada we got the 450 in 05 and 06 as the diesel only.  You may want to join clubsmartcar.com it's free and supports the 450 cdi.  Our cars came with DRL from the factory and if you search there you will find how to turn it on and off.  We also had our turn signals in the grille where the European cars had fog lights.  I'm sure someone a clubsmartcar can help you but make sure you tell them your car is a gasser.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for the idea about clubsmartcar.com.. I will give them a try and see what happens.

Al

05/06 Smart had full time lights all lights on anytime driving. I don't know how you would disable that to run only a front daytime lights.

unless someone did that already.  

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

43 minutes ago, billr said:

05/06 Smart had full time lights all lights on anytime driving. I don't know how you would disable that to run only a front daytime lights.

unless someone did that already.  

Hi Bill,

The car is a G&K Conversion. The car has no lights on when the car is running. Maybe G&K did something to the light circuit for the US standards.

Al 

Bill

It is a 10 second procedure to turn them on or off on our Canadian cars.  I suspect they may be the same around the world.  I believe this works for the 451 as well.  

How to Turn off DRL:

1. Engine off

2. Pull the high beam lever

3. push "unlock" on the key remote within a few seconds

4. car beeps - DRL is disabled!

To turn on, press "lock" in step 3.

I might add that the lights will come on as you start to drive and then stay on until you turn the ignition off.

Nigel

On 7/19/2017 at 9:15 AM, Nigel said:

Al 

Nigel

So totally unrelated to the original question, so does that mean Al has an imported Diesel Smart car from Canada or were there some 450 gas ones in the US? I'm intrigued because I really like small Diesels and just wondering if some of them actually made it into the US?    

I don't even know when they started the Smart in the US? 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

I've heard of some diesels from Canada being imported to the U.S. as well as some European gas cars like Al has.  G&K did the necessary modifications to get the gas cars "federalized".  Dan, if you are at the National Rally look me up and you can check out the diesel.

Now to keep this on topic Al you do want some kind of DRL even if you just turn the lights on every time you drive.  I almost got wiped out about three times in  Crossville because I think the other drivers just didn't see me.  Almost worse than being on a motorcycle.

Nigel

On 7/20/2017 at 8:57 AM, Nigel said:

Bill

It is a 10 second procedure to turn them on or off on our Canadian cars.  I suspect they may be the same around the world.  I believe this works for the 451 as well.  

How to Turn off DRL:

1. Engine off

2. Pull the high beam lever

3. push "unlock" on the key remote within a few seconds

4. car beeps - DRL is disabled!

To turn on, press "lock" in step 3.

I might add that the lights will come on as you start to drive and then stay on until you turn the ignition off.

Nigel

Good info thanks! 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:40 PM, Nigel said:

I've heard of some diesels from Canada being imported to the U.S. as well as some European gas cars like Al has.  G&K did the necessary modifications to get the gas cars "federalized".  Dan, if you are at the National Rally look me up and you can check out the diesel.

Now to keep this on topic Al you do want some kind of DRL even if you just turn the lights on every time you drive.  I almost got wiped out about three times in  Crossville because I think the other drivers just didn't see me.  Almost worse than being on a motorcycle.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Sorry about getting back to you so late. Some how I missed your comments. I always thought the little Smarts car could use some help with being seen. If I have to turn the day time running lights on every time I drive the car that is ok with me. On the turn signal lever there is several positions that the switch for the lights can be put into. I do not know what the first position is for. I was hoping that I can use that first position on the turn signal switch to turn the DRL's on. If I have to run extra wires for the lights, I need to figure out what side of the car to run the wires thru. Right, left, or even thru the bottom of the car. I do have the front nose off the car right now.

Still looking for ideas,
Al

Alan, I'm not sure I see the issue so maybe I am misunderstanding. There has to be a key operated circuit in the car (radio maybe?). Tie into that and add a relay to power your DRL's straight from  the battery. That way when the key is on, so are the DRL's.

On my 2014 the DRL's come on when the car is running.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

21 hours ago, Big5er said:

Alan, I'm not sure I see the issue so maybe I am misunderstanding. There has to be a key operated circuit in the car (radio maybe?). Tie into that and add a relay to power your DRL's straight from  the battery. That way when the key is on, so are the DRL's.

On my 2014 the DRL's come on when the car is running.

Hi Phil,

Electrical stuff has always been a big challenge to me. I'll take a look at doing your idea. I am always afraid that I will burn something up. I understand relays a little bit.

Al

12v isn't that hard, Alan its that 110 that usually shocks the pee outta me. I leaned over an A/C unit on the roof of the my trailer once and touched the start capacitor with one side of my chest. :wacko: I said some words that woulda made a lotta people blush...even more so than my usual salty language. Strangely that side of my chest tingled the rest of the day....not something I would recommend unless you are really, really bored and wanna spend the rest of the day rubbing your own chest and wondering why one nipple is harder than the other. :huh:

Are you coming to the National rally? Sounds like a project. I am decent with 12v and can/would lend you a hand, plus there are normally some real experts in attendance. As long as I keep my body parts off of any capacitors, I'm up for almost anything.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Still hasn't shared whether the car is a grey market diesel, or a G&K gassed. The above instructions apply to diesel, but all bets are off on the gas conversions.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

It's a G&K gas car as posted.  The later 450 700cc and diesel had them built in but as Al said who knows what changes were made to get them imported.

Nigel

14 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Doh! Missed that on the phone. Hanging head in shame.

Hi Darryl,

Don't worry about it. You probably got a new pair of glasses.

Al

15 hours ago, Big5er said:

12v isn't that hard, Alan its that 110 that usually shocks the pee outta me. I leaned over an A/C unit on the roof of the my trailer once and touched the start capacitor with one side of my chest. :wacko: I said some words that woulda made a lotta people blush...even more so than my usual salty language. Strangely that side of my chest tingled the rest of the day....not something I would recommend unless you are really, really bored and wanna spend the rest of the day rubbing your own chest and wondering why one nipple is harder than the other. :huh:

Are you coming to the National rally? Sounds like a project. I am decent with 12v and can/would lend you a hand, plus there are normally some real experts in attendance. As long as I keep my body parts off of any capacitors, I'm up for almost anything.

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your offer of help. I don't think that I will be able to make it to the nationals this year. Even if I did go to the nationals the truck bed is not ready to haul the Smart car yet. The bed is a work in progress. The plan for the bed is always changing. Living in northeast Ohio, you always need a winter project. Maybe I'll finish the lights up then. I do have a heated garage. Right now I am working on an idea to hold any driving lights or fog lights on the car. I am trying to take advantage of the tow hook holes in the front of the car for this bar. If I get this finished I will post some pictures.

Al

Archived