DRV Pinbox Measurement

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

If you are referring to the RVH pinbox you can see the details on THIS document.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack,

Once the new straight pin box is installed how much additional pin weight are you seeing on the DRV's ?

Drive on.....(enjoy the ride...)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

3 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Once the new straight pin box is installed how much additional pin weight are you seeing on the DRV's ?

Would it not be proportional to the reduction in the length of the arm? (Pin to center of the trailer axles.)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 7/18/2017 at 11:59 AM, rickeieio said:

Would it not be proportional to the reduction in the length of the arm? (Pin to center of the trailer axles.)

Rick,

Good point so the question is what are the before and after wheel to hitch measurement's and what are the actual increases in pin weights being experienced once the new pin box is installed and other loads are adjusted to increase the pin weight.....

The actual distances between axles and pin likely are different between DRV models so likely mod effects change as well......

Drive on..... ..(numbers.......change)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Dolly,

I will try to get you the numbers from Marc's trailer/truck. I'd like to see if your projected numbers come close the the actuals. Marc said that it was only "around 100 lbs" difference...but I find that a little light....and he was talking off memory, not looking at the weight slips. So I have to get that number.  I'll post it when I do....

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

9 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Dolly,

I will try to get you the numbers from Marc's trailer/truck. I'd like to see if your projected numbers come close the the actuals. Marc said that it was only "around 100 lbs" difference...but I find that a little light....and he was talking off memory, not looking at the weight slips. So I have to get that number.  I'll post it when I do....

Jack,

I would agree it seems like 100 lbs would be pretty light in that as I recall the original hitch had a fairly long arm and when you look at the images of the DRV units the axles are well forward so the Avg axle to pin distance could change a considerable amount it would seem with a straight pin box.

It seems that we are talking two sets of dynamics on the DRV units ........

The "Z" axis (vertical) seems to tend to become "excited" when the light pin weights are too light to become dampened by the tractor suspension interface to the air suspension hitch and without the minimum weight on the pin you have too light loads to allow the two suspension systems to attain design minimum dampening values.

The second dynamic seems less serious to most of the HDT's is lateral excitation with a roll coupling component......I do recall that at least one forum member seemed to have had a tail-wag adventure but for the most part I would assume that most HDT's have plenty of dampening to keep the DRV fairly well in the lanes.......until the truck needs to turn quickly and then thing could become excited......

From a weigh & balance stand point it would be nice to obtain detailed measurements of the load-centers (fresh water, grey, black, battery banks, cargo bays etc) and with these details and the axle to pin distances it would seem that the pin weights could be adjusted AND perhaps the weight distribution could be tuned to improve the tow qualities of the DRV units when towed by a HDT.

The straight pin box is likely a good start and then with KNOWN load adjustments the units could likely be improved nicely.

Drive on.......(adjust the ride and enjoy the ride) 

3 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

DT(Mike)- Next week when we pick ours up I 'll get some dry- fresh from the dealer lot weights- and I'll pull measurements as well.

A&J,

Sounds like a good plan.....with the detailed info we can load and unload items and see the results that the axles and hitch loads experience. 

RV trailer load centers are a tough task in that as trailers become larger the mass market HD-pickups have less and less ability to carry the traditional pin loads so the trailer folks have to tread a fine line of fairly light pin weight ratios in order for the mass market pickup tow units.....dicey job.....

If you like email me your DRV data to mmcdan3189@aol.com and if you desire  call my cell at 520.891.3695.

Drive on.....(run the numbers and adjust the loads)

I'll be interested to collect as broad a sampling of actual data on the pin boxes as I can. Chad has one as well....so some actual before and after weights would be interesting for those that want to collect them....

www.jackdanmayer.com

1 minute ago, Jack Mayer said:

I'll be interested to collect as broad a sampling of actual data on the pin boxes as I can. Chad has one as well....so some actual before and after weights would be interesting for those that want to collect them....

I have before weights, but it will be little while until I can get some after weights.  I don't have any Cat scales near me, so I have to wait until we head out somewhere that takes us by one.  This may not be until November, but I have it on my to do list to get new fully loaded weights.

I just put the pinbox on last weekend and we pulled the trailer to the lake this weekend as our first pull (I am sitting lakeside as I type this ;) ).  I am happy with it.  I may have to rethink a couple of my camera mounts now that I have so much trailer overhanging my bed though.  We will see.  I'm pretty sure I am going to move the camera I have on my pinbox facing forward to watch the truck bed.  It is fairly useless now because of the overhang blocking much of the view.  My hitching camera may also get moved just to prevent any possibility of kissing it with the front of the trailer on some odd angle (highly unlikely but why take a chance).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Chad, I would love a picture hitched up with your short bed and truck.  My future dream...it will be interesting to see how the pin helps with that set of "features" bringing the two better together :)

I'd love to find someone who wants to build a short daily driver truck. ....I've got the design pretty much worked out. It could be a "killer" setup. Especially with the Gen2 bed refinements we are coming out with....;)

www.jackdanmayer.com

This is very simple math.  Let's say originally 4000lb pin weight and 25 ft pin to center of axle(s).  Shorten the pin 1 ft and you've increased the weight by 1/25th of 4000 or 160lbs.  (4000/25)

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

5 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Chad, I would love a picture hitched up with your short bed and truck.  My future dream...it will be interesting to see how the pin helps with that set of "features" bringing the two better together :)

I'd love to find someone who wants to build a short daily driver truck. ....I've got the design pretty much worked out. It could be a "killer" setup. Especially with the Gen2 bed refinements we are coming out with....;)

We should talk when I get "closer".  Hutch perhaps.

Just now, TheLongWayHome said:

We should talk when I get "closer".  Hutch perhaps.

Or, come back down for a visit any time....I've been know to serve smoked baby backs to those that are meat eaters..... ;)

www.jackdanmayer.com

9 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Ask and ye shall receive....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BypMhjRfrAf1VG9qVzdSZDV0Tk0

on edit:  the pictures are all sideways so you may have to do some contortions to look at them.  I'm not sure why, but when I uploaded them from my phone this is how they came out.

Once I hit retirement, I may consider replacing my T2.  For now though, it's hard to justify the expense and I still love the truck.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

WOW, Chad, that made a remarkable difference.   Can I use these photos in our literature? Without names, of course. And if there are plates showing i'd mask them....

www.jackdanmayer.com

14 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

WOW, Chad, that made a remarkable difference.   Can I use these photos in our literature? Without names, of course. And if there are plates showing i'd mask them....

That is fine with me.

Now that the pinbox is in place, this is my next project (if I can get my DW to loosen the purse strings ;))

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BypMhjRfrAf1SnNTS2xJc3pIcEE

event.png    

Sweet!!  Paint or wrap??

www.jackdanmayer.com

1 minute ago, Jack Mayer said:

Sweet!!  Paint or wrap??

It is going to be a wrap.  If this becomes my retirement truck, I will eventually repaint it.  For now the wrap is a much cheaper interim step to make things look like they belong together.

event.png    

Agreed, and easy to modify later.....I've been thinking of doing some wrap on Casper (my truck).

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived