Last day for Mobley and Car Connect $20 plan

Between my ph and jetpack V was milking me dry Gigs just kept going up and I was using less internet $hit got high when they went to 4g which was bs cuz my 3g worked just fine and was getting by with 4gigs but then useage just continued to climb until I dropped jetpack and cut my ph down to 2gigs

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way to match the Mobely deal is if you are already on a two smartphone unlimited plan with AT&T.  In that case you can add a mobile hotspot (Mifi) and pay $20/month more for it to be unlimited and subject to prioritization when over 22GB.  Those Mifi units don't need adapters and probably have better radios than the Mobely.  If you only have one AT&T phone, the price jump is $55 to add the Mifi, from $90 to $145, plus taxes and fees.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I don't know if AT&T will eventually clamp down on it, but I've been running my Mobley SIM in a Netgear/AT&T Unite MiFi for the past couple of weeks. It does have a better radio and WiFi range than the Mobley, and can accept two antennas. So far, the only instances of folks getting spanked by AT&T for SIM swapping from the Mobley that I've run across on various forums were folks that had swapped the SIM into a phone rather than another hotspot. In reading the Mobley plan fine print, I haven't found any prohibition related to moving the SIM to another hotspot, so I hope I'll at least get a warning if that changes so I can move the SIM back to the Mobley.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

42 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

In reading the Mobley plan fine print, I haven't found any prohibition related to moving the SIM to another hotspot, so I hope I'll at least get a warning if that changes so I can move the SIM back to the Mobley.

Or, buy a second Mobley for a spare (for $20/month) and use that one when you get network managed (if you ever do) and keep it "pure" in case they hit you on the sim movement.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Great idea, Jack! I'll get an order in right away. I think we may have been "managed" a few times now, but the slowdowns only lasted a few minutes, so they were not really noticeable for normal surfing. One slowdown didn't even interrupt the stream we were watching at the time from Amazon Prime Video. I ran a speed test once when I suspected it had happened, and our usual 25-30Mbps down speeds here had dropped to about 2.8Mbps. 4-5 minutes later we were back to normal speeds...

Dutch

For Canadians!  Rogers has just announced a 'Mobley -like' device with a few extra features for vehicle diagnostics and tracking.  Of course, it does not include unlimited data, and must be added to an existing 'share everything' data plan, but may provide some good options for some RV folks on the road.  No idea if it would work in the US as well?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/07/19/rogers-new-smart-drive-platform/

http://www.itworldcanada.com/article/rogers-smart-drive-turns-your-car-into-a-hotspot-on-wheels/394972?sub=&utm_source=568341&utm_medium=top5&utm_campaign=TD &scid=e60c002e-ca02-78c4-dec6-4e605d024fd7

Following this thread it seems some were able to get the Mobley and 20.00 unlimited data WITHOUT having an existing ATT account. I have not been able to get to anyone at ATT or local stores that will sell me the Mobley and 20.00 plan WITHOUT an existing account.

Gary

ATT website has a disclaimer under the connected car unlimited plan that states you must have a new or existing wireless account. I could not get the website to allow me to purchase the Mobley without purchasing a new wireless açcount. Any specific info on how to purchase would be appreciated. 

Thanks Gary 

That's what the Mobley is, a new wireless phone that runs off of car (or some type of adapter).  Comes with it's own phone number already installed, ready to go right out of the box.  You're getting 'phone' and account at the same time.  Not sure why this is so hard?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

26 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

That's what the Mobley is, a new wireless phone that runs off of car (or some type of adapter).  Comes with it's own phone number already installed, ready to go right out of the box.  You're getting 'phone' and account at the same time.  Not sure why this is so hard?

I just got mine onine and told them if I liked the Mobley service my phone would be coming to them next. No problems

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Our second Mobley just caught up with us, and just validated it came activated and ready to go... All settings changed, and back in the box until it maybe needed. 

Mobley 1 sim is temporally in our Unite Explore for testing purposes. Sure hope Dutch is correct that noting in the small text prohibits the movement of sim from the Mobley to another MiFi only device. (And I have read others say this too, on other boards. At least two have reported they called and asked ATT Rep's if it was OK to shift it to a ATT Mifi, and were told yes. But, we've all had Rep's tell us stuff that may not be exactly so:)!)

Just info sharing on the quick Speedtest numbers:

Mobley 1 sim in Unite Explore MiFi, with roof top fed MobileMark MIMO antenna:

23 Mb/s Down and 8 Up with 73 ms

Mobley 2 as a Mobley, inside the communication cabinet:

3.3 MB/s Down and 3.56 Up with 93 ms

Tests done within two mins of each other, to the same test server. So, as Dutch mentioned, the MiFi devices do have better antennas, and no doubt in this test the MIMO antenna on the rooftop added to the difference in speeds. I will note, that at other times when I've tested between Mobley and the Unite Explore with it's own sim in it - the differences were not that dramatic. Double the speed in weak signal areas was the norm, and in areas with better signals, maybe 1/3 faster download speeds, and usually the same 50% faster upload speeds. 

Great plan the Mobley be:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

18 hours ago, bigjim said:

I got mine at a store and I didn't have an ATT account.  I suspect it reverts to who you are dealing with and what they know.

X2

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

On 7/24/2017 at 8:55 PM, Smitty77_7 said:

Our second Mobley just caught up with us, and just validated it came activated and ready to go... All settings changed, and back in the box until it maybe needed. 

Mobley 1 sim is temporally in our Unite Explore for testing purposes. Sure hope Dutch is correct that noting in the small text prohibits the movement of sim from the Mobley to another MiFi only device. (And I have read others say this too, on other boards. At least two have reported they called and asked ATT Rep's if it was OK to shift it to a ATT Mifi, and were told yes. But, we've all had Rep's tell us stuff that may not be exactly so:)!)

Just info sharing on the quick Speedtest numbers:

Mobley 1 sim in Unite Explore MiFi, with roof top fed MobileMark MIMO antenna:

23 Mb/s Down and 8 Up with 73 ms

Mobley 2 as a Mobley, inside the communication cabinet:

3.3 MB/s Down and 3.56 Up with 93 ms

Tests done within two mins of each other, to the same test server. So, as Dutch mentioned, the MiFi devices do have better antennas, and no doubt in this test the MIMO antenna on the rooftop added to the difference in speeds. I will note, that at other times when I've tested between Mobley and the Unite Explore with it's own sim in it - the differences were not that dramatic. Double the speed in weak signal areas was the norm, and in areas with better signals, maybe 1/3 faster download speeds, and usually the same 50% faster upload speeds. 

Great plan the Mobley be:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

The best I can say about running the Mobley SIM in my Unite, Smitty, is that AT&T hasn't slapped my wrist yet...  ;)

Dutch

I've got my second Mobley up and running.  It wasn't as easy as the first one for whatever reason, but after a trip to the local AT&T store it was all squared away.  Now I have one for travel and one for local (and really a spare just in case).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

The speed test you folks noted seem quite low, I just did a speed test and got 12.94M down and 12.40 up load speeds

That was in my camper inside a metal building.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

That is great Dutch, I have seen as high as 27M at times, that is why I was asking about the 3M from someone here?

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Had my Mobley for over a month and I looked at my ATT bill.  Seems that when they set it up, they just added a device to our excessing 30g plan and used the data from it.  Called ATT and had to go thru 3 different reps before I THINK they got it corrected.  I will have to check the bill and see.  Has anyone heard of this happening to anyone else.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

5 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

Has anyone heard of this happening to anyone else.

I have not. I'm curious though... when you set up your mobley did you call through AT&T's main customer service line, established it online, have it setup in-store or go through the car connect department directly from a stand-alone device?

Archived