Environmental Control Works when it wants to

LostSoul

So my heat and AC work...when they want to. Everything works as it's supposed to eventually but not when you change the switches. I have had it apart a few times. Checked voltages and signals. Resoldered the board in case it was a bad joint. (Not the Colorado kind). Since everything eventually works I am assuming the solid states are good. I don't have any hair so I can't pull that out. It is the kind that is thermostatically controlled. I am at my wits end with this thing!

Mark & Jackie

Visalia, CA

USAF Ret

2011 Smart convertible

2014 Trilogy 3650 RE

2004 Volvo VNL780

Cummins ISX 530

13 speed

I'm not a mechanic, but that sounds like a break in a wire.  A break in a solid wire wil open as the metal cools and contracts, opening the break and disabling the a/c and heater fan.  When the metal is warmed by the heat generated by the engine the wire expands, closing the break and allowing current flow.  The break may be in a wire where the insulation both hides the break and keeps the wire ends almost touching.

Get a can of liquid nitrogen and spray the wires slowly enough to pin point the likely short.  I am guessing a computer repair place would know where to find it.  (Once you have a flash freeze aerosol you are also set to have some serious fun with food, especially thin sliced items.)

John

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Archived