My project what do u think?

Demax990

You should also mention what province you're going to register in. They're all slightly different in what they allow.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

16 minutes ago, Demax990 said:

Hmm it seems to be that I will be to long no matter how I cut it. 

Max.......Don't let a bunch of grumpy old geezers here on the forum get under your skin.......

Shucks..... I have a telescoping receiver hitch on the Trolly and one day I was TOOOOO-Lazy to get out and extend the hitch and now all I have to do is replace the funky ladder on the front of the toy hauler............Trolly did not break a sweat crinkling the ladder....

Don't let a bunch of geezers dampen your RV Dream ...........All it takes is plenty of $$$$$$ and time to fix the .....RV-DREAM at times.......

Drive on..........(HDT's  are great jackknife......... re-arrangers.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Will you ever end up at 90 degrees, absolutely! All of us veterans have done it. Went into that parking lot that didn't allow for "gentle turn", Went into that campground and "didn't walk" that access road to get to your spot, followed the GPS which sent you via an idiotic "shortcut", etc., etc.

Trailers are either 96 inches wide or 102 wide, pin is in the center so from pin to side is either 48 inches or 51 inches, if you don't have that distance between the trailer side and the hitch pin, your trailer will not be happy, your car or motorcycle on the deck will not be happy, your truck cab will not be happy, your insurance company will not be happy, your wife might reconsider the wisdom of marrying you, etc., etc. If you have trailer with long forward pinbox you can get away with a pickup, if you do not try 90 degrees, which should be avoided like a plague anyway.

Typically there are three types of pinboxes on fifths

8nyZmvrl.jpg

Long forward pinbox, popular with smaller fifths, and most "forgiving" when pulling with pickups

sfAn9Y0l.jpg

Angled pinbox coming forward, even with the front of the fifth, popular with medium size fifths

O1nLopsl.jpg

Straight down pinbox under the trailer, mostly utilized in large and heavy trailers.

You can see that at 45 degrees turn the long pinboxes leave the most room between the truck and the trailer, or anything else on the deck.

ZA51tSql.jpg

6I4525Dl.jpg

fpke2cUl.jpg

By the time you reach 90 degrees it doesn't matter what pin box you have, all three need half of the width of the trailer for clearance.  

N9db1SSl.jpg

xgDHBAgl.jpg

WwRSle9l.jpg

The trailer is 98" at the front 

measering on the trim so I need 48 at min 

how about a slider hitch with a Reese 5th airborne sidewinder pin box- slider 12" sliding,sidewinder 22" so then the hitch at 24" in the towing mode = 48" in the manoeuvring position then the deck can be 20' 6" and the truck only 33-34 feet long lol 

3 minutes ago, Demax990 said:

The trailer is 98" at the front 

So you can have a 2" shorter bed length over the 102" wide trailer ((102-98)/2=2"). Will this be your last trailer? If not, then you may has well plan for the 102" wide trailer. Even so, it may make resale of the of the HDT better if it can handle any trailer.

The Yukon XL is a long vehicle for site seeing, you may want to look at a shorter vehicle. You can use the HDT for some site seeing, we have gone many places in ours. If you must have a longer second vehicle, you may need to look at the car hauler type of toyhaulers. We have hauled a Yukon XL in ours with some space to spare in our garage but there is very little space left in the living quarters area. Two people are tight and can survive for a month, but more would be hard for anything longer than a week or so. We are working on a design that would work for 4+ people for a longer period but it is still in the can it be built stage.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

11 minutes ago, Demax990 said:

Or I just say screw it and just use the truck for everything. Anyone do a 4 door conversion on a semi??? 

Demax990, we've been RVing for 42 years, last 10 with HDT. Whether it was pickups, MDTs or now HDT we never found it necessary to have anything but the puller as our "personal vehicle" when we were RVing. As we got older the RVing trips got longer and longer, like the entire winters in Florida (3-4 months) away from the ass freezing home in New Hampshire. We are not trying to discourage you, just trying to help you not to turn into a pretzel trying to do something that us "veterans", maybe thought about but then discarded as not too practical.

9 minutes ago, Demax990 said:

I totally understand that's why I came to this site to see if it would work and I am seeing that I will be way to long for my liking. So we are just going to go back to using a HTD as our only vechele during our trips. 

There are not as many out there but, Volvo, KW, FL, Pete etc made short nose trucks with small sleepers.     A truck like this has a cab and sleeper that is 13' nose to tail, with a 10' bed you are driving a crewcab size truck.    The picture above with the car on the dolly, that was Gene B truck, it is exactly what I suggest.     Unless you are doing a lot of entry and exits a four door is overrated.     Put a sofa with belts in the sleeper and you have a 5-6 pass truck.

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Check out Gregg RVHaulers YouTube channel.  There is a video there from a couple of months aga titled something like Family of Six.  They are full timers and they use their truck as a daily driver.  A setup like theirs might work for you.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Some added a rear door to their HDT that was access from the Bed area. But that would mean you would need to arrange the seating in the back on the sidewalls which is probably not good.

Some HDT's do have a side door but it is really meant to be an escape door. I do not think they have steps but you could make some. We have carried 2 extra adults and a grandaughter along with a granddog in ours and we just  went in and out the passenger door. Windows in the back would be nice so you can see the country side and sites.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

19 hours ago, Nigel said:

Check out Gregg RVHaulers YouTube channel.  There is a video there from a couple of months aga titled something like Family of Six.  They are full timers and they use their truck as a daily driver.  A setup like theirs might work for you.

Nigel

4Girls&aMan  On this forum

Video referenced by Nigel above.

On 7/17/2017 at 10:08 AM, Demax990 said:

I figured out what's going on and why it works. Semi trailers are the full width at the front of them. 5th wheel campers are not. The front of them are rounded and the Corners are big concave cutouts. So to get the full width I would have to be 2 feet  or so from the front. The pin boxes for them also extend slightly past the front as well making the pin location in front of the trailer. 

Some 5ers have caps that are cut back and rounded for clearance purposes. Others do not. I personally would not build a bed that would not accommodate "most" 5ers out there. But that is up to the individual builder.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived