Sliding 5th wheel needed?

Mystroh

We will be picking up our new 42' 5th wheel in a couple weeks. I currently have a B&W fifth wheel but it is not a slider. After doing some calculations I think that I will be able to jack knife the trailer to appx 80--82 degrees safely without the trailer running into the truck. With that in mind I would like to ask those of you with experience if that is good enough or should I spend the $1500 or so for a slider? I have read on other RV forums of people stating they have sliding 5th wheels but have never used the sliding feature. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Kelly

So, is your TV a short bed pickup?  I have only seen sliders in short beds and I believe that is what they are designed for.  On the other side of the equation, if it is a short bed, then have you checked that your truck will safely handle the weight of the 42' 5er?  I have been on the extra capacity side of things rather than being close to the line.  For instance, I have a 2007 GMC CC DRW and dont tow my Newmar KountryAire(GVWR21K#, DW 17.2K#) as it is too heavy for this truck.  Granted the Duramax with its bumped up 500HP/1000#T are plenty to get it moving, I trust the engineers that put a max towing weight on 16,500# on that truck.  

Be safe out there.

Marcel

1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

So, is your TV a short bed pickup?  I have only seen sliders in short beds and I believe that is what they are designed for.  On the other side of the equation, if it is a short bed, then have you checked that your truck will safely handle the weight of the 42' 5er?  I have been on the extra capacity side of things rather than being close to the line.  For instance, I have a 2007 GMC CC DRW and dont tow my Newmar KountryAire(GVWR21K#, DW 17.2K#) as it is too heavy for this truck.  Granted the Duramax with its bumped up 500HP/1000#T are plenty to get it moving, I trust the engineers that put a max towing weight on 16,500# on that truck.  

Be safe out there.

I agree, if you have a long bed truck, you will be fine.  I  maneuver with my Ram long bed with my B&W hitch with no problems.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Thanks to everyone for the info....not too worried about the capacity of the TV....it's a F350  Powerstroke SRW with 27565R20 tires and rear air bag lift kit......yes it's a short bed, thus the concern.......just somewhat nervous about the max jack knife capability of 80--82 degrees. If anyone has a short bed with a fixed 5th wheel I would love to hear from you and get your thoughts and experiences. Thanks again everyone!!  

I guess that I'll jump in and mention that I have a SRW F-350 and while the axle weights work out with my 35' long fifth wheel, there isn't a lot of excess capacity. With a 42' fifth wheel I would very carefully check the weights, especially the rear axle and the GCWR. The only way to know will be to load up the fifth wheel and truck, hitch it all up and run it over some scales. I hope that it works out for you but you may be into DRW territory. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We are at the CVWR towing a 35' Cameo with our 2016  F350CC SRW with a BD3 hitch. Our maximum turning angle is +/- 80 degrees. The angle would change depending on the design of the front cap.

Before we bought the BD3 we considered sliders then decided a DRW long box was the way we would go once the modifications on the trailer are done.   

2011 Cameo 34SB3

I agree about the weight. Having been in the transportation industry it is very easy to become overloaded like a high percentage of the rigs out on the road. Then combine under inflated tires, broken suspension parts etc. it's a recipe for trouble. Thanks for your feedback Mark. 

I have a slider by Curt Mfg. in my 2500HD with a 78" bed. It's a manual slide unit, and I broke out my rear window the 1st time I practiced backing. I actually FORGOT to get out and move the hitch to the rear maneuvering position. Talk about feeling stupid.... I wish I'd spent more money and bought the automatic sliding hitch instead.

2009 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot C32BL 5er,

2018 Ford F350 Srw diesel. Curt 20Q slider hitch

Lewisburg, Tn.

11 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

I guess that I'll jump in and mention that I have a SRW F-350 and while the axle weights work out with my 35' long fifth wheel, there isn't a lot of excess capacity. With a 42' fifth wheel I would very carefully check the weights, especially the rear axle and the GCWR. The only way to know will be to load up the fifth wheel and truck, hitch it all up and run it over some scales. I hope that it works out for you but you may be into DRW territory. 

I agree, with the weight you would be hauling, I think a DRW would be the best fit.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Lot's and lot's of factors go into the tow capability as there are many variables....what is the truck, is it a 4X2 or 4X4? is it regular cab? super cab? what is the UVW of the trailer etc. etc. Anyway back to the original topic I listed the fixed 5th wheel on Craigslist yesterday afternoon and sold it within 3 hrs. Will be getting the slider. Thanks to everyone for their feedback. 

I am towing a 40' unit with a standard bed GMC Denali. The front corners of the unit are angled but I installed the Pull-rite automatic slider for piece of mind. One thing you have to think about that many times you aren't just turning on flat ground and know that you have 80 degrees to turn with. A lot of time it can be a dip or road transitions from a hill road or a flat road. I have encountered a few of those situations especially if in in a campground the the road is on a hill and you are maneuvering to a flat lot.

I love the ease of the automatic slider. Don't have to think about it. The only major concern I have with the slider hitch is that I must always make sure I can hook-up or unhook relatively straight (tow vehicle to rv). You cannot hook or unhook if you are turned more than 13 degrees. Didn't find that out until I was reading the owners manual after I had bought it. Also, it is an extremely heavy hitch.

Good luck with your new unit. 

• 4 weeks later...

Another Pullrite superglide user here.  Hookup and drive knowing that you won't hit because the hitch will keep your 5er back far enough.  I bought mine used off Craigslist for cheap and have had no issues with it.  It's an older model that used grease on the way tubes and I cleaned all that crud off with brake cleaner and painted the way tubes with slip plate graphite (what Pullrite uses on the new models).  No more greasy mess and the hitch operates smooth as butter. 

My wife's brother-in-law has a Chev short box and a manual slider hitch for his fiver.  Once he forgot to move the slider for a sharp turn and broke the back glass in his cab.  He laughs about it now...

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

Archived