Fred Flintstone Trucks

Darryl&Rita

Grandma is sitting back in a shed. Still not dusted off and started yet this year. Grandpa stoped by last week to see how Grandma is this year.

Grandpama is a 1926 White truck. I think that after different acquisitions Whie is now history of Volvo.

Grandpa is a 1925 Mack.

Now check out tha Mack controls on the steering wheel. And chain drive .

51 minutes ago, somewhereinusa said:

Grandpa has aluminum wheels on front?

Well, you know the story...

Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed
Poor mountaineer barely kept his family fed
Then one day he was shooting for some food,
And up through the ground come a bubbling crude
(Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea)

Well the first thing you know old Jed's a millionaire

Bought some Rimz and moved to Beverly.....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

5 hours ago, beyerjf said:

a real man drives one with chain drive and solid rubber tires....

There's a truck wheel on my front porch.....wooden spokes, steel tire, and the remains of a sprocket.  I made a stand for it and my bride had a piece of glass cut to make it into a table.  I believe it's from the early teens. (as in a century ago.)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

4 hours ago, beyerjf said:

a real man drives one with chain drive and solid rubber tires....

You can quickly identify real men by their short stature from the constant compressing of their spinal discs and their broken teeth from hitting potholes with no suspension.  By the time they finally retire they look like Igor in the movie Frankenstein.  Little known fact - Igor drove for Swift.

John

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Were they just manufactured with chain drive or was it a better design for steep grades with a load?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The early(1910-1920's) differentials used spiral bevel gears, while efficient were not strong enough for truck use. Chain drives were the norm until the development of hypoid gears in both automobiles and trucks allowed a lower driveshaft and ability to handle much higher torque values.

The Packard Motor Car Company was first with the hypoid gear design. 

http://www.packardmotorcar.com/index.php/packard-firsts/

• Hypoid differential gears, which allowed a lower floor and lower vehicle height

Excellent explanation in this Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_bevel_gear

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

20 hours ago, beyerjf said:

The early(1910-1920's) differentials used spiral bevel gears, while efficient were not strong enough for truck use. Chain drives were the norm until the development of hypoid gears in both automobiles and trucks allowed a lower driveshaft and ability to handle much higher torque values.

The Packard Motor Car Company was first with the hypoid gear design. 

http://www.packardmotorcar.com/index.php/packard-firsts/

• Hypoid differential gears, which allowed a lower floor and lower vehicle height

Excellent explanation in this Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_bevel_gear

Thanks for the explanation Jeff. Had heard of both types of gears, but not understood the difference. 

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Speaking of Fred Flintstone... that reminded me of a photo a ran across lately of one of Kirk's first RV's. Looks like there is a new owner, but you know it's gotta be one of his. Still fully functional and the tires look brand new. ;)

ocmobile.jpg

1 hour ago, Yarome said:

one of Kirk's first RV's.

I wish that it was! I have seen that one at a couple of RV shows and the guy displays it and tells stories, for a fee of course. But you will notice that the thing rides when he travels so I'm wondering if the present owner has ever actually spent a night in it? 

Here is one that we had at our annual car show on July 8.

20108543_10209244796788723_8771489650586

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 7/16/2017 at 2:53 PM, Jemstone said:

You can quickly identify real men by their short stature from the constant compressing of their spinal discs and their broken teeth from hitting potholes with no suspension.  By the time they finally retire they look like Igor in the movie Frankenstein.  Little known fact - Igor drove for Swift.

John

Somewhere in the family photo archives we have a photo of great-great-uncle Boss buss#1 .......he contracted with Studebaker and Baldwin Locomotive works to construct a bus prototype that consisted of NO body .....it was two big channels with a Solid Baldwin axle bolted to the channels with Baldwin cast iron wheels and chirch pews bolted to the channels......passengers were given pine sticks to bite so that the pot hole jarring did not break their teeth (old Freightliner trick).....

It did have power steering in that the FOUR guys in the driver's pew could ALL grip the huge wheel to turn the center-pivot Baldwin iron steer axle (just like the new Volvo concept truck)....

Solid rubber tires so no need for TPM....

Yes folks paid big $$ to hang onto the pews in rain and snow to ride the .....Boss-buss....... eventually the project became mainstream now only one guy steers the buss....

Drive on........(new meaning for the word....rough-rider) 

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived