Tax deducting our RV?

I did a couple of searches on this forum but nothing came up.

Getting ready to retire in a couple of months.  We just bought a used 2017 Momentum 376TH (41' 5th wheel) and a used F-350 crew cab dually a few months ago, getting ready to go full time.

I believe I know the answer to this first question but....1.  as our home, is the RV tax deductable?

2.  Are purchases for the RV tax deductable?

3.  Is the money paid for RV space at various RV parks tax deductable?

At this point we're considering using South Dakota as our domain and once we establish that, then we will find a tax advisor that's familiar with full timers to lock down all these questions but just trying to get a preliminary idea of what to expect.  By the way, if anybody has a referral for a tax man that knows the ins and outs of tax laws for full timers, I'd sure appreciate that as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

8 minutes ago, JCZ said:

I believe I know the answer to this first question but....1.  as our home, is the RV tax deductable?

If you mean from your federal income tax, no as the tax is on a vehicle and not real estate.

8 minutes ago, JCZ said:

2.  Are purchases for the RV tax deductable?

No.

8 minutes ago, JCZ said:

3.  Is the money paid for RV space at various RV parks tax deductable?

No. It is no different than expecting to deduct rent for an apartment or house. 

The only thing deductible about an RV is interest paid on the loan to buy it if you have your RV financed. That is just like deducting the interest paid on a home loan.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you itemize your deductions on your federal income tax, I believe you still have the choice to deduct either state sales tax or state income tax. You will need to make sure that vehicle purchases are not excluded. If you have domicile in a no income tax state, claiming a deduction for sales tax would seem to be a no brainer provided the total deductions are greater than the standard deduction.

Truck and RV were bought here in California where I'm currently employed and will have lived for nine months of 2017 so for this year, we'll be filing as residents of California and let my current CPA figure it all out.  

Thanks a bunch for your replies....about what I was expecting.  Nothings changed.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

• 2 weeks later...

Archived