HDT Acquisition Cost and Total Cost of Ownership

TheLongWayHome

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Heavymetal said:

We are in the process of getting a new truck so we have a 2016 for sell if your interested.

Saw it, but we are way too early in our research. We really need to lock down the RV first. I don't see us pulling any decision triggers until after the HDT Rally and one other event in early November. I don't plan on going full time until Spring 2018. I absolutely have no place to store it, but it would just sit (not a good thing) until next April.

6 hours ago, Grassy said:

You are trying to compare apples and oranges.

If you are looking at a 5500/550 you are actually looking at a MDT or class 5. And HDTs are Class 7/8.

Both MDTs and HDTs have their pros and cons.

I am getting 11's mpg  with mine plus no extra vehicle is required to go to town so to speak.

Good luck on your hunt,

Grassy,

Not sure where you got the 5500/550 vs HDT decision!! See the original post, it all about HDT economics and options. As I said in the original post, this is NOT a MDT vs HDT discussion. But there have been a few topic drifts in the discussions above. :huh:

10 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Have to ask this. Those of you that tow doubles, how do you handle the additional pin box weight? Example, my Teton is 24k rating. Teton high of 20k. A Jeep, car, etc. Would go way over pin rating. Also seen plenty with upper frame cracks from gooseneck setups. Seems this would be more stress. 

Glenn,

From my engineering (sparky) perspective I don't see the second tow vehicle have a significant direct weight impact on the HDT pin weight. It will obviously impact the GCWR and I'm sure the second tow vehicle will have a chucking and other stress impacts on the pin/hitch. The second tow vehicle has very little pin vertical force, as it's weight in it's four wheel or on the tow dolly/trailer wheels. It obviously has a horizontal force impact. It might even decrease the pin weight, dependent on how well the RV is load balance (or not). I'm sure our mechanical gurus will have a more detailed analysis. then again I'm just a EE :P

On 2017-07-18 at 4:29 PM, TheLongWayHome said:

Grassy,

Not sure where you got the 5500/550 vs HDT decision!! See the original post, it all about HDT economics and options. As I said in the original post, this is NOT a MDT vs HDT discussion. But there have been a few topic drifts in the discussions above. :huh:

You have me confused.  You state "

" I’m an HDT newbie. Plan to go full-time next year and still finalizing the RV and tow-vehicle decisions. I been in lots of the technical discussions on 5500/F-550 vs HDT. So, this is NOT a technical discussion on the merits of one over another. It’s an economics question. "

A 5500 and HDT are not the same animal nor in the same class towing wise.  And economically speaking, a MDT (5500/550/freightliner /international)  is probably cheaper (for many reasons) in the long run.. 

In my experience, buying the RV is primary..then the rest can fall into place..

Good luck with the hunt...

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

Asking what it cost to own an HDT for pulling an RV is like asking how much it costs to own a hot rod.  The costs will very wildly depending on so many factors.  New or used?  How "used?"  Can you do repairs yourself?  How many miles per year?  Will you want a bed?  Smart hauler?  Build it your self?

Our rig is fairly cheap, but so am I.  We paid $19k for a 9 year old truck with just under 700k miles, paid to have part of the bed built ($2500) and did the rest ourselves.  Nothing fancy, just steel diamond plate, still tandem, no boxes....yet. So far, we've incurred about $14k in repairs, some of which was a shop in Alaska that kept us for a week and fixed nothing.  Replaced all air bags, much hardware and supports, transmission harness and x/y shifter, etc.

Had we continued pulling with our "F" series, we would have gone through more than that in repairs by now, and likely would have had a very nasty wreck when the brake controller quit on a long down grade in traffic.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Asking what it cost to own an HDT for pulling an RV is like asking how much it costs to own a hot rod.  The costs will very wildly depending on so many factors.  New or used?  How "used?"  Can you do repairs yourself?  How many miles per year?  Will you want a bed?  Smart hauler?  Build it your self?

Our rig is fairly cheap, but so am I.  We paid $19k for a 9 year old truck with just under 700k miles, paid to have part of the bed built ($2500) and did the rest ourselves.  Nothing fancy, just steel diamond plate, still tandem, no boxes....yet. So far, we've incurred about $14k in repairs, some of which was a shop in Alaska that kept us for a week and fixed nothing.  Replaced all air bags, much hardware and supports, transmission harness and x/y shifter, etc.

Had we continued pulling with our "F" series, we would have gone through more than that in repairs by now, and likely would have had a very nasty wreck when the brake controller quit on a long down grade in traffic.

I agree rick, how much of a price do you put on the safety of your family?  I live in the midwest, so a LGT is ok for pulling a 5er on the flat land, but I'll be damned if I would attempt to pull my 5er in the mountains with a LGT.

Do you have some pics of your HDT? Curious to see what your tandem rig looks like.

I'm figuring to spend $50-75k for a HDT.  Higher mileage ones could be had for less, but a new LGT would cost as much anyway.  I can do all maintenance myself.  I'm thinking I will start out by leaving it tandem and then singling later if I feel like it needs it.

Rick,

My original post - Page 1 fist, is all about the question of the economics of acquiring an HDT, used versus new, mileage, etc. On the usage, it's fairly easy math for all those that collect the data on their running rigs - miles traveled and costs: diesel, other fluids, maintenance, tire replacements. It you look at it over several years, then you can get to a cost/mile traveled. A number of folks to that and have shared the data. It's in the postings.

I think the answer I was guided to was Option 2 the "right" used truck and probably leaning single axle short, no smart car and use the HDT as a driver.

jollytoger.

Rick's truck http://hhrvresource.com/node/563 and a whole pile more on the hhrvresource forum. Wear a bib, as you may drool!!

Hmm.  It's changed a bit since that photo.  Here's how it looked a couple of years ago....... 

CGPV1bBl.jpg

And how it looks now.....

OWn7pV5l.jpg

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Hmm.  It's changed a bit since that photo.  Here's how it looked a couple of years ago....... 

CGPV1bBl.jpg

And how it looks now.....

OWn7pV5l.jpg

That's quite the transformation.  Do you have any issues with truck being tandem? Length ok? Turning radius small enough?

19 minutes ago, jollyrogr said:

That's quite the transformation.  Do you have any issues with truck being tandem? Length ok? Turning radius small enough?

No issue with being tandem.  Some would argue that I have more tires to maintain/replace, and mileage is less. But, I'll live with that, knowing I can stretch tire life by being very under loaded. I do give up some real estate for storage boxes this way, but we have plenty of space.  The $$$ to single will buy a LOT of fuel.  I run 85 psi in the rears, and have not needed to adjust pressures in 7 years.

Length is just a bit over legal in some states, at 70'.  Turning radius is fine. Some small older campgrounds are a challenge, usually more from trees than anything else.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

No issue with being tandem.  Some would argue that I have more tires to maintain/replace, and mileage is less. But, I'll live with that, knowing I can stretch tire life by being very under loaded. I do give up some real estate for storage boxes this way, but we have plenty of space.  The $$$ to single will buy a LOT of fuel.  I run 85 psi in the rears, and have not needed to adjust pressures in 7 years.

Length is just a bit over legal in some states, at 70'.  Turning radius is fine. Some small older campgrounds are a challenge, usually more from trees than anything else.

Makes sense.  If you're 70', how long is your trailer?  I think mine is quite a bit shorter.

If staying tandem, would there be any benefit to getting a truck with super singles?

2 hours ago, jollyrogr said:

If staying tandem, would there be any benefit to getting a truck with super singles?

Jollyrogr,

You might want to check with the insurance company you plan on using in the state you are going to domicile. I'm told that certain states (e.g. Florida) will only insure a tandem as commercial. A lot more expensive.

Plus on the length of truck/trailer, the rules vary a lot by state. 65' length is the most common, with only a few at 70'.  But most folks with HDT seem to pull long. When it's behind an HDT is does not seem to catch the eye!

34 minutes ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Jollyrogr,

You might want to check with the insurance company you plan on using in the state you are going to domicile. I'm told that certain states (e.g. Florida) will only insure a tandem as commercial. A lot more expensive.

Plus on the length of truck/trailer, the rules vary a lot by state. 65' length is the most common, with only a few at 70'.  But most folks with HDT seem to pull long. When it's behind an HDT is does not seem to catch the eye!

My state bureaucrats won't allow registration as a motor home anyway...I think non-commercial truck at a lower tonnage is possible.  Have not checked with insurance.  If number of axles makes a big difference singling might pay for itself that way. 

6 hours ago, jollyrogr said:

If you're 70', how long is your trailer? 

Newmar called it 41', but the tape measure sez 43'.  I plan to put a straight pin box on, perhaps even a recessed box to shorten overall length.  Putting the car on the deck and the bikes in the box will allow more choices.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Newmar called it 41', but the tape measure sez 43'.  I plan to put a straight pin box on, perhaps even a recessed box to shorten overall length.  Putting the car on the deck and the bikes in the box will allow more choices.

Probably a good idea. Pin weight won't be a problem. 

Archived