National Parks Senior Pass price change

Kirk W

Pet & Pat made a post about this on the RV Action Items forum, but I thought that I'd repeat it here to make sure everyone sees it.

They posted a link to the NPS page on Changes to the Senior Pass. It announces the date (August 28, 2017) of the price increase for the senior pass and it also gives some very interesting, helpful information about the change.  The most important thing on the page which I was not previously aware of is quoted below.

What if a senior citizen is on a fixed budget?
The legislation also establishes an annual Senior Pass for $20. That pass is valid for one year from the date of issuance. Four annual Senior Passes purchased in prior years can be traded in for a lifetime pass. Additionally, access to the majority of National Park Service sites remains free—only 118 of 417 National Park Service sites have an entrance fee.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Another important point is that folks that already have a Senior Pass will still be able to use them without additional fees.   

Later,

J

PS The link I posted was the same one Kirk posted so I deleted it.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I find it difficult in these times of high technology that there isnt a database that will identify a senior pass holder so a lost card can be replaced without having to purchase another. If they are lifetime passes then the politicians that were ok with the price increase should have provided for a way to get a replacement card without paying the fee again.

SKP# 136386

18 minutes ago, Matilda's mate said:

I find it difficult in these times of high technology that there isnt a database that will identify a senior pass holder so a lost card can be replaced without having to purchase another. If they are lifetime passes then the politicians that were ok with the price increase should have provided for a way to get a replacement card without paying the fee again.

And since technology is "free", the tracking of Senior Pass Cards will become a $200 proposition.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

13 hours ago, Matilda's mate said:

And then we have to pay salaries for the people that maintain that database, the people that enter the information in that database (after they issue your pass) etc, etc, etc. 

Rather than expecting them to replace it for free, why not expend a little effort and secure it so you won't lose it? I've had a drivers license for 40 years and I've never lost it. I figure at that rate I can get a Senior Pass at 62 and I should be able to hang on to it until I am 102. I'll just put it in the same place as my DL...in my wallet.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Man , it seems you guys are really pushing it this morning . 

The data base is already there , filled with every cards information , which was likely input by volunteers . There should be no maintenance required . The info simply collects dust until it 's called up from some file somewhere in the feds 'cloud' of information .

I can see a small replacement fee for those too feeble to be able to control where they keep required 'information' .

On the other hand , I can see the government making a million dollar deal out of what's already been . That , just for the sake of giving some contributor's kid an easy income . 

Goes around , comes around .

48 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

The data base is already there , filled with every cards information , which was likely input by volunteers . There should be no maintenance required . The info simply collects dust until it 's called up from some file somewhere in the feds 'cloud' of information .

I wonder if this is correct. My wife and I receive a Federal Volunteer Pass each year because we each volunteer over 250 hours. The Volunteer Coordinator reaches into a box of Volunteer Passes, pulls a couple out, punches the appropriate date codes, and hands them over. There is no record kept of pass number or anything else. So at least for volunteer passes I am sure that there is no data base.

Years ago when we bought our annual pass it seems like we handed them the $$ and they handed us the card, with no additional information collected.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

54 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

I certainly don't know, but when I bought my pass they told me there was no national database at all.  They said the only record of my pass was in my hand and that they only had to account for the money by how many passes in their inventory.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

There is a number on your card, which you use when you reserve online.  That number is connected to - absolutely nothing in terms of my name, address, phone number, date of birth, etc.  Remember (come on, we're not that old :D)  when you got the pass - they took a look at your DL, to verify age and handed you the pass in exchange for $10.00.    The only people who would have filled out something would be those who purchased by mail. 

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

OK , OK ... I'll admit there were no computers in use when we bought ours , either . Maybe the past is still catching up . ;)

It does seem that in today's world of automation , it would be no more than a quick scan and all pertinent info would be on file . 

Don't we have too much information 'on file' in too many places.   Much easier to just get a second pass if you think you will lose yours (I keep mine right behind my DL) than have another database that can be hacked to get names, addresses, etc. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

For those not connected to the Information Technology industry, everything is easy because on TV it is.  Those in the know that is takes the same efforts and equipment to track a Senior Pass card as  F-22 Raptor.  One is valuable enough to warrant the cost.

The small replacement fee for the Senior Card at this moment is $10, a steal of a deal.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

4 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

The small replacement fee for the Senior Card at this moment is $10, a steal of a deal.

Good point!  Makes now the time to get a replacement if you need one.

Later,

J

PS Of course they will have to come up with data base to tract new and previous card purchases...and then there is the 4 card trade in provision...we're doomed to another expensive data base whether one exists now or not.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

7 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

The data base is already there , filled with every cards information , which was likely input by volunteers .

What volunteers, and where? We bought ours at the get to Yellowstone for Pam and at the entry of Grand Canyon for myself. Those were the old cardboard cards and they were later replaced with plastic ones that have a magnetic stripe at the entry to another park after those came out. The ranger simply took the cardboard ones and handed back plastic "Golden Are Passport" cards. Those cards had no name at all but just a strip for the owner to sign. Those are the cards that we are using to this day and we have not been asked to update to the current "Senior Pass." I am fairly sure that there is no record of either of our cards by who now has them. That may well be the reason for the lack of any means to replace them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

So , maybe there isn't a data base . 

I just figured that if they can tell us how many sheets of TP each of us uses that they would have any form of contact with them on file also . Hopefully I'm wrong on both counts . 

And , I agree , Barbara , there is way too much info collected on individuals , in too many places . 

Archived