Truck Singled long?

Pete Kildow

Seen a truck today, it has the front axle removed. Rear axle left where it was from factory. Then a carrier bearing where the front axle was. And now a Long single axle. Going to check more on it this weekend. But wondering what issues this may have caused to the transmission? As not sure how balanced the drive shafts would be rigged up like this?

event.png

Pete, Many folks have singled long without problems. It seems that one of the major concerns of singling long is the possibility of overloading the front axle. It could be possible to have a configuration that overloaded the front axle until the fiver was loaded onto the behind-the-drive-axle-hitch......at which point the weight shift from the steer to the drive axle could bring the steer axle back within specs. I bet DollyTrolley could do some calculations that would tell you what you would need to be concerned about.  I have not heard of a long, properly constructed, supported and balanced driveshaft, set up with the correct angles, causing any transmission problems. Some long straight trucks have very long driveshafts that work well.               Be safe, Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Pete I singled long on one of my trucks, and did not have any transmission problems because of it.  Charlie is correct, with a singled long you do have to watch the front axle loading.  I had my fifth wheel hitch behind the axle and probably could have gotten a smart car on the bed without being over on the front.  So on my 610 that I am using now, I kept both axles and put super singles on them.  Now the only reason for the super singles is I got the tires and rims a couple of weeks ago for 200$ a piece with aluminum rims. 

Good luck Chuckd

On 7/14/2017 at 5:16 AM, sclord2002 said:

Pete, Many folks have singled long without problems. It seems that one of the major concerns of singling long is the possibility of overloading the front axle. It could be possible to have a configuration that overloaded the front axle until the fiver was loaded onto the behind-the-drive-axle-hitch......at which point the weight shift from the steer to the drive axle could bring the steer axle back within specs. I bet DollyTrolley could do some calculations that would tell you what you would need to be concerned about.  I have not heard of a long, properly constructed, supported and balanced driveshaft, set up with the correct angles, causing any transmission problems. Some long straight trucks have very long driveshafts that work well.               Be safe, Charlie

Pete good morning,

My calculations mostly involve the truck with AND Without the trailer and often we move the drive axle and hitch to give a range of potential axle loads with various configurations..... With the auto-calculating spreadsheet it only takes a few minutes to calculate several configurations......

The most important thing is to define the layout of the truck and trailer BEFORE you start the calculations...baseline locations of various load centers (fuel, tools, gold bars, water tanks, etc) is the basis of the info needed to start proper wt & balance calculations....

Drive on .....(details can be useful)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived