Registration help

13speed

I need to figure out what is the best state to register our truck/trailer in. We are technically going to be homeless at the end of the month and will not be legally obligated to any particular state when we pick up the trailer. 

I am not really sure about registering as a motorhome as that would be a stretch with our small sleeper. I was thinking more of a private truck. Or is there a state that will do it without all the crap inside? 

My units are very expensive and would get hit with a high tax bill if I pick the wrong state to call home. Obviously MT OR are two choices for that. I can register the truck through a LLC in MT because I will own it outright but not the trailer which has a loan. I was told specifically no MT LLC. OR does the private truck thing I think.

SD has a mid price option with their use fee but that could hit 10K+

I just need to figure out the best balance between taxes, type of plate, and ease of residency.  

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

There is much more to it than where to register your truck if you are changing domicile.

3 hours ago, 13speed said:

is there a state that will do it without all the crap inside

But to answer your question: Yes, Texas. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Chris,

Two resources to review if you go the LLC route with MT. Talk to these folks or a subject qualified lawyer. There are trade-offs!! You will need to maintain the LLC annually (cost). There are some question about crossing international borders (e.g. Canada/US) that I have not been able to get a clear answer.

http://www.jackdanmayer.com/registration_and_legal_issues.htm#LLC Option 

http://49dollarmontanaregisteredagent.com/

Have friends in Colorado that have done several vehicle.

There is a difference between tax avoidance versus tax fraud!!

13 speed,

You might want to skip Oregon.......

Of course Oregon has no sales tax and it takes nothing (Except $$$)  to register a class 8 into a motorhyome in about 10 minutes and they don't even look in the sleeper at the DMV.

But here is the catch..........YOU HAVE to be a RESIDENT..........PERIOD!!!

Now maybe today might your lucky day because I am Land-poor in Oregon.......you like the beach I have your spot.......you like the Columbia River I have a Killer-View Deck Overview of the Columbia for miles.......you like to Ski I have your lift in my back yard......

Shucks for a few hundred thousand I can convert you into a Oregon Resident (AND Tax-Payer).......and heck I'll even stand in line at the DMV to get your new motorhome registration...........what a deal.....

Drive on...........(Oregon has no sales tax........but has every other kind of tax)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

You are never "homeless" in the eyes of the government. You either get out ahead of the situation by doing what it takes to establish a domicile, or let some state government entity do it for you by default. This organization(Escapees) has reams of information on the topic. It will become clear to you which way you should go with a little research. Registration of the vehicles is but one of the pieces of the puzzle. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I have a LLC with those $49 guys now. I would rather just do something else. I have the ability to choose any state and no one has yet to recommend a good one.

Dolly, I am looking at your post and trying to figure out what the heck you are trying to say but the only thing I get is that OR has lots of other taxes and after living next door to them I understand that they do. I need someone to say hey, this might be a good way to go.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I like Wisconsin.  I registered as a Motorhome, no questions asked and insurance is easy and cheap.

I don't know what you would have to do to set up a "remote domicile" here, though.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

How about making the initial purchase against your MT LLC - helps with the tax issues and very cheap initial registration. I have heard zero issues with doing that while being domicile in CO. But NY and other states are a little more aggressive about claiming all the taxes they can - you know the type of state and mentality - always love taxes for new social projects.

To decide on a final Domicile State, you need to consider lots of factors that only you can answer, - Will you still have personal income. That might drive a decision about being domicile in a no personal income state - Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming. But Tennessee and New Hampshire tax interest and dividend income.

Beyond taxes, there are some other major considerations:-

Health Insurance: This should be purchased in your state of residency. If you are on Medicare, you should notify them of your new address after you establish residency in your new state. If you are on a health insurance plan with your employer or previous employer (retirees), you should check with them about your change of state residency to make sure you are still covered. With all the indecision in Congress about a Healthcare plan, this is currently a big deal, very confusing, And a big expense).

Driver’s License. You must get a driver’s license from your state of residence. Some states will require you to take a driver’s test, others won’t. Either way, you need to do this in person as you will have to get a photograph taken and show proof of your identification.

Vehicle registration and insurance. Vehicles must be registered and insured in the state where you have your driver's license (your state of residency). This can usually be done by mail and, in the case of insurance, by phone, but there are several forms to fill out for the Department of Motor Vehicles. We found that our mail service, Dakota Post in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, has a staff member specializing in helping people through the process. There is a fee associated with this service, but it is well worth it as she walked us through each step and personally visited the DMV to take care of the paperwork.

Voting: Voter registration can sometimes be done when driver’s licenses are purchased. Voting in national elections can be done by absentee ballot. States have different requirements for registering for local elections.

Will you return? Whichever state you choose, you need to consider how often you will be returning. Will you develop some community ties life social organizations, church, charity work? Will you get medical care, financial and legal services there? These are all things that will be looked at if there is a legal question of your residency.

For RV’er there are three states that are very friendly towards full-time RVers and the most popular choices among full-time RVers. These states have no state income tax and they make it easy for RVers to establish and maintain residency. These states are: Florida, Texas and South Dakota.

If you plan to spend most of your time and Winters in the West, then Texas if probably the best. Big5er already suggested Texas. With South Dakota a strong second. If on the East coast, then Florida.

Attend an Escapees Bootcamp for a lot more details and assistance.

Perhaps I don't understand, but it strikes me as amusing, that one who fretted for so long over which axle ratio/tire size would yield the best fuel mileage, has waited so long to explore what state to use for domicile.  Sorta like worrying about pennies and ignoring the dollars?:unsure:

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

53 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Perhaps I don't understand, but it strikes me as amusing, that one who fretted for so long over which axle ratio/tire size would yield the best fuel mileage, has waited so long to explore what state to use for domicile.  Sorta like worrying about pennies and ignoring the dollars?:unsure:

Thanks for the completely useless post:rolleyes: I had a plan and the plan changed a little and now I need a new plan. Not that crazy but it was always there I just did not post my thoughts on this particular subject in a thread till now. So sorry I offended!

2018 NH 48' Majestic

13 speed,

Indeed my post is a bit confusing because life can be confusing much of the time.....except for my momery-loss mother-in-law she spends most days singing......

Jeff hit the nail on the head in that we are never homeless as long as we have some $$$ that can be taxed in so many ways.......sometimes skipping out of some taxes cost more than the taxes....

Example.....Oregon used to be a place to take delivery of big boats, airplanes, motorhomes, etc.......then the foreign country on it'$ southern border started getting nasty with folks taking delivery of big ticket items in Oregon but not living in Oregon......so now bounty Hunter search out tax-avoiders and report them to Sales-tax-states and reap big rewards.......who do you think pays the final bill for the reward?? 

Back in the 80'$ I bought a brand new airplane in Kerrville TX and landed for TEN minutes in Oakland CA on my way HOME in Oregon and four days later TWO revenue agents presented me with a $47,xxx sales tax bill.....gulp....it was not easy or cheap to get rid of Kalifornia revenue geeks......

Be careful it'$ not easy homeless or......fulltimer .......comrade.....

Drive on......(if it's new stay away from .... Kalifornia)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

2 hours ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Plus you really can't declare a new state domicile until you generally get rid of your primary assets (house, business, etc.) in your current state. If you don't then two states will want a piece of your income!

My house is sold and I am renting it back till 8/1and other than that I will have no ties to WA.

2 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

13 speed,

Indeed my post is a bit confusing because life can be confusing much of the time.....except for my momery-loss mother-in-law she spends most days singing......

Jeff hit the nail on the head in that we are never homeless as long as we have some $$$ that can be taxed in so many ways.......sometimes skipping out of some taxes cost more than the taxes....

Example.....Oregon used to be a place to take delivery of big boats, airplanes, motorhomes, etc.......then the foreign country on it'$ southern border started getting nasty with folks taking delivery of big ticket items in Oregon but not living in Oregon......so now bounty Hunter search out tax-avoiders and report them to Sales-tax-states and reap big rewards.......who do you think pays the final bill for the reward?? 

Back in the 80'$ I bought a brand new airplane in Kerrville TX and landed for TEN minutes in Oakland CA on my way HOME in Oregon and four days later TWO revenue agents presented me with a $47,xxx sales tax bill.....gulp....it was not easy or cheap to get rid of Kalifornia revenue geeks......

Be careful it'$ not easy homeless or......fulltimer .......comrade.....

Drive on......(if it's new stay away from .... Kalifornia)

I don't understand CA making a claim if you did not live there. WA will have no claim on me because I will not be living here well before the purchase. I am moving to a new state and making a purchase after I get there. I am just trying to figure out what state will suit my needs the best. My needs are the same as anyone purchasing a RV and living in it would have. Easy residency, low taxes/fees and simple registration. I will then get a DL in that state and call it home then purchase and register my truck/trailer. 

2018 NH 48' Majestic

From a tax and truck perspective SD has a lot of merit. FL may work too, since you will be a truck, not a MH. You cannot have a 5th wheel plate on a MH in FL...although some have. But the law is pretty clear on it. 

SD has health insurance issues under Obamacare. I don't know how that will change or if it is a factor for you. But last I checked there were no PPO's available in SD. But I have not researched it for a year. TX will kill you on the Taxes (6.25%)  and I cannot recommend it for that alone. We are TX, though. 

It is a hard choice and a lot depends on your particular circumstances. There are a lot of articles out there on Domicile selection. I assume you are collecting them....   :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The only bad thing I have found about SD is the use tax. That would put me out around 14K between the truck and trailer (the downside of having brand new equipment) which I really don't have. 

How does SD work? I have heard that the residency is just a overnight but then I called them and they said it you had to show a lease on a apartment or house purchase...kind of confused me based on what I have been told. Heck, on the phone they could not even tell me what to register the truck as...

Does anyone know if the use tax is on the full purchase price on both truck and trailer? 

2018 NH 48' Majestic

5 hours ago, 13speed said:

My house is sold and I am renting it back till 8/1and other than that I will have no ties to WA.

I don't understand CA making a claim if you did not live there. WA will have no claim on me because I will not be living here well before the purchase. I am moving to a new state and making a purchase after I get there. I am just trying to figure out what state will suit my needs the best. My needs are the same as anyone purchasing a RV and living in it would have. Easy residency, low taxes/fees and simple registration. I will then get a DL in that state and call it home then purchase and register my truck/trailer. 

Thirteen,

At the end of the day my lawyer said........."well kid welcome to Kalifornia........the tax geeks throws stuff on the wall and you have to pay us lawyers to get the tax geeks to scrape the "stuff" back off the wall"......you would be amazed how many folks payed not-owed-tax-bill just because somewhere in the past that they had a larger tax liability that they had sneaked past........

It only cost me a few months and $$$$ to get then to cancel my "tax-billing"........

2 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

From a tax and truck perspective SD has a lot of merit. FL may work too, since you will be a truck, not a MH. You cannot have a 5th wheel plate on a MH in FL...although some have. But the law is pretty clear on it. 

SD has health insurance issues under Obamacare. I don't know how that will change or if it is a factor for you. But last I checked there were no PPO's available in SD. But I have not researched it for a year. TX will kill you on the Taxes (6.25%)  and I cannot recommend it for that alone. We are TX, though. 

It is a hard choice and a lot depends on your particular circumstances. There are a lot of articles out there on Domicile selection. I assume you are collecting them....   :)

Jack has been playing the full-time game for some time and even he has no easy answers..........

52 minutes ago, 13speed said:

The only bad thing I have found about SD is the use tax. That would put me out around 14K between the truck and trailer (the downside of having brand new equipment) which I really don't have. 

How does SD work? I have heard that the residency is just a overnight but then I called them and they said it you had to show a lease on a apartment or house purchase...kind of confused me based on what I have been told. Heck, on the phone they could not even tell me what to register the truck as...

Does anyone know if the use tax is on the full purchase price on both truck and trailer? 

Thirteen,

Seems that you might need to call a business lawyer from SD and one from TX and maybe one from FL..........I have too many chunks of real estate to be of any help.........

I was born in Oregon but have hung my spurs all over the world but now am listed as a Oregon resident but it seems that the folks that try to game the system to be a "counterfeit-Oregon-resident" seem to get caught and then things get UgLy Fast..........

Seems unlikely any of us here are qualified to answer your question posted here in enough detail to get you anything but in deep trouble........

I will repeat........ I would NOT take delivery of anything of value in Oregon without being a REAL &  PROVABLE Oregon Resident.......the days of jiggering sales tax liability by playing the fake Oregon card .........those days are fading fast......

Drive on.........(Oregon.......poverty-with-a-view)  

Montana may be a consideration, no state sales tax, moderate vehicle tag fees.   They do have state income taxes and county taxes on vehicles.     I saw a big sail boat with a "home port" of Helena once, this was a 125-30' boat in Hawaii.    

As Dolly said, perhaps a bit of money spent on advisers  would pay many dividends. 

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

2 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Through the end of last year, there was one PPO (BCBS) in SD, but that's gone now.  The only one left for full-timers is Avera, and that's really not worth anything outside of SD, and I absolutely hated how they treated my attempt to get details on their plans.  I'm not finished, but I've written up some info on the current state of things, and alternatives available nationally that seem to work pretty well: http://rvnerds.com/2017/06/29/insurance-full-timers/

It's long--if you just want to read about the HSMs, start here: http://rvnerds.com/2017/06/29/hcsm-healthcare-sharing/

1 hour ago, 13speed said:

The sales/use tax is based on the full purchase price, but at 4% it's a lot less than other states like TX or NV, and there's no personal income or personal property tax.  If you've already paid tax on it, SD gives you a one-for-one credit, up to 4%, and you can register as a private truck if you don't want to do the conversion.

According to the DPS website, it's still just one night within the last year.  http://www.dps.sd.gov/licensing/driver_licensing/obtain_a_license.aspx

With the online renewals now, you no longer have to visit within 6 months prior to renewal, which may be advantageous to someone with a birthday in the March/April timeframe.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Howdy,

Does anyone have current 2017 reliable info on legally converting our KW T2000 in CALIFORNIA :

I have read about losing the third axle and 5th wheel and airlines and possibly some sort of deck. And getting the  VIN altered to reflect MH status.  BUT I also read these options are not valid anymore ?? My reg agent knows nothing.

I do have the CDL and not sure i want to reg in another state while we live here. Just want to be able to pull a nice toy hauler and keep my beloved KW. Been researching off and on for 19 months but can't seem to find the answer. 

Is there a local converter and registration agent currently doing conversions ?

2 hours ago, Nuke-E said:

Through the end of last year, there was one PPO (BCBS) in SD, but that's gone now.  The only one left for full-timers is Avera, and that's really not worth anything outside of SD, and I absolutely hated how they treated my attempt to get details on their plans.  I'm not finished, but I've written up some info on the current state of things, and alternatives available nationally that seem to work pretty well: http://rvnerds.com/2017/06/29/insurance-full-timers/

It's long--if you just want to read about the HSMs, start here: http://rvnerds.com/2017/06/29/hcsm-healthcare-sharing/

The sales/use tax is based on the full purchase price, but at 4% it's a lot less than other states like TX or NV, and there's no personal income or personal property tax.  If you've already paid tax on it, SD gives you a one-for-one credit, up to 4%, and you can register as a private truck if you don't want to do the conversion.

According to the DPS website, it's still just one night within the last year.  http://www.dps.sd.gov/licensing/driver_licensing/obtain_a_license.aspx

With the online renewals now, you no longer have to visit within 6 months prior to renewal, which may be advantageous to someone with a birthday in the March/April timeframe.

Now this is the type of advice I have been looking for. I was having a hard time locating the hotel for one night info. So I can work with that mail forwarding in SD and just drive through there on our way to KS and get licenses and register the trailer. Would I have to drive back through SD to get plates when I get the Volvo? 

That does suck about the lack of ACA choices as we were going to do that unless Mr McConnell gets his way. 

2018 NH 48' Majestic

1 minute ago, 13speed said:

Now this is the type of advice I have been looking for. I was having a hard time locating the hotel for one night info. So I can work with that mail forwarding in SD and just drive through there on our way to KS and get licenses and register the trailer. Would I have to drive back through SD to get plates when I get the Volvo? 

That does suck about the lack of ACA choices as we were going to do that unless Mr McConnell gets his way. 

Plates are the easiest thing ever.  Even when I bought my wrecked Mazda6, taking a salvage title and getting a new title and registering it, it was basically just a phone call and sending in the title.  They called back when they had the info, and I gave them a credit card over the phone.  Plates were in the mail same day.  The clerk even went through what I needed to do so that I only had to pay sales tax on the purchase price, not book value, since there was a big difference.

The only thing you need to go through there for is to stay a night and get your driver's license.  And those can be anywhere in the state, regardless of which forwarding service you use.  Last time I renewed mine, in Sioux Falls, the DMV clerk recognized my address right away and asked how Don and Barb were doing (the owners of Americas Mailbox, about 400 miles away).

As far as the health care stuff, in some ways I'm glad it's run the course it has.  I'd probably never have given the health sharing a serious look if I had a viable alternative, and now I'm paying far less and getting more.  And having had one vote already on tweaking the terms, I can say that it feels like I have a role in shaping the coverage to meet my needs.  I have no idea how old you are, but I'm betting you're probably older than me--if that's the case, the difference between ACA options and healthsharing will be bigger, as the rate I pay is the same as what someone at 64 pays.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

As far as the health care stuff, in some ways I'm glad it's run the course it has.  I'd probably never have given the health sharing a serious look if I had a viable alternative, and now I'm paying far less and getting more.  And having had one vote already on tweaking the terms, I can say that it feels like I have a role in shaping the coverage to meet my needs.  I have no idea how old you are, but I'm betting you're probably older than me--if that's the case, the difference between ACA options and healthsharing will be bigger, as the rate I pay is the same as what someone at 64 pays.

I am not understanding what you are saying in this paragraph at all. What is Health Sharing? BTW: I am 49 and 3/4:huh:....I am neither Republican nor Democrat. I just want all these ass holes to work together to fix this shit so I can have decent health care. But in the mean time Obama Care is better than Mitch Care!

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Don't understand your anger. Health sharing is a Christian pool plan. Money goes in pot, pulled out as needed. We use it and like it a lot. Some construction companies are doing this now. It's not insurance. It is member shared cost. DW and I 300 monthly. No certain hmos or networks. Any doctor anywhere. We use Liberty Health Share. No pushing this on anyone. It was brought up and you became very negative and thought I might explain a little. They have very detailed websites. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

8 hours ago, 13speed said:

I am not understanding what you are saying in this paragraph at all. What is Health Sharing? BTW: I am 49 and 3/4:huh:....I am neither Republican nor Democrat. I just want all these ass holes to work together to fix this shit so I can have decent health care. But in the mean time Obama Care is better than Mitch Care!

•  

I think it's safe to say that the health care industry, including insurance, is a mess--it didn't get better for a lot of people with the ACA, and won't get better for a lot of people with proposed changes.  Especially for full-timers, the "standardization" of plans has limited the number of choices.

My comment was more that I was fairly satisfied with the plan I had, before it closed up shop and left town.  That forced me to really search for alternatives, and health sharing is where I ended up.  The link I posted above gets into what health sharing is, and some of the advantages.  But in short, as it pertains to the ACA, it's a penalty-exempt option that doesn't have to conform to all of the ACA requirements, which means a lot lower cost.  If I had been more familiar with the sharing concept, even without the ACA, I might be happier with what I have now.  But the ACA certainly made the health sharing organizations more viable, as tons of people have been forced out of traditional insurance and don't want to pay the penalty--they've grown a lot in the last several years.

At least with Liberty, at 49.75, your rate would be the same as mine at age 34.

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Don't understand your anger. Health sharing is a Christian pool plan. Money goes in pot, pulled out as needed. We use it and like it a lot. Some construction companies are doing this now. It's not insurance. It is member shared cost. DW and I 300 monthly. No certain hmos or networks. Any doctor anywhere. We use Liberty Health Share. No pushing this on anyone. It was brought up and you became very negative and thought I might explain a little. They have very detailed websites. 

I didn't read any anger in his comments--I just wasn't very clear in what I was trying to say.  Good summary of some of the pros of HSMs.

Archived