Does this circumvent tethering limits?

docj

I may be a bit slow on some things, but I finally figured out that I can use my Galaxy S7's built-in Miracast function (also known as Samsung SmartView) to send the phone display and audio to my Roku without the use of wifi.  In other words Miracast creates a direct link to the Roku (or Samsung Smart TV or other dongle) that doesn't require that the devices be on the same wifi network.  My understanding is that Miracast is available on all Android phones running versions of the operating system >4.0

I've been using this approach today to connect my phone's Spotiy app to the Roku and through that to the TV and audio system.  (The reason for doing this is that the phone's Spotify app is much more versatile than is the Roku one.)  

But it also occurred to me that this approach avoids using the phone's hotspot app to essentially provide internet access to the Roku (or TV).  So, as a result, all data being used by the phone would look as if it  was being used by the phone itself.  So this appears to be a way that I can use the phone for streaming video to the TV without being subject to the 10 GB/mo limit that Verizon imposes on Unlimited Plan users like us.

Maybe this has been discussed on this forum and I've not seen it.  Or maybe there's a problem that I haven't realized.  OTOH, maybe I'm right and I've just identified a way to use my Verizon phones for streaming along with my AT&T Rural Home base. Please let me know what you think.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

21 minutes ago, Al F said:

There is a slowdown, actually other traffic may have priority over yours, after 22Gb (or is it GB?) That may affect your streaming. 

I understand that this can't get around the 22GB (it is GB) "soft limit" if there is tower congestion, but it does appear to get around the 10GB "hard limit" that reduces your throughput to 3G levels.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Interesting concept. I tried using my iPhone to send my streaming content to my apple box since I don't have home Internet. Mine was too choppy & slow to use. Your 22 GB might not be an issue if you are in a rural area where there is no congestion.

8 hours ago, docj said:

I may be a bit slow on some things, but I finally figured out that I can use my Galaxy S7's built-in Miracast function (also known as Samsung SmartView) to send the phone display and audio to my Roku without the use of wifi.)  

But it also occurred to me that this approach avoids using the phone's hotspot app to essentially provide internet access to the Roku (or TV). 

Right, it's not tethering as it's not providing network access to the display device.  It does use wifi in a peer-to-peer mode (not through an access point).  I think you already know this but I wanted any interested onlookers to make the distinction, too.

--

2017 Promaster 159" , 570W mono, 220AH FLA

blog | RVwiki project

Archived