How Many Camprgrounds Do You Stay At During a Year?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First year fulltime we stayed at 57 campgrounds, 2nd year 36 campgrounds, 3rd year 49 and the 4th year 41. So far this year (our 5th year fulltime) we have stayed at 29 and will be moving  to our next in the morning.

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Campgrounds, or just different spots? Do nights at Walmart, or other parking lots count? What about stops in a friend's driveway or RVspot? We spent time in many of the Escapee "stoppin spots" that are properties made available to members by other members who own property. One of our fulltime years we on'y paid for 9 nights but stopped in more than 30 different locations. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We're at 19 "official" campgrounds so far this year. We've also spent time on two private lots with single RV hook ups and one boondocking location on a paper company tree farm.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

2 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Campgrounds, or just different spots? Do nights at Walmart, or other parking lots count? What about stops in a friend's driveway or RVspot? We spent time in many of the Escapee "stoppin spots" that are properties made available to members by other members who own property. One of our fulltime years we on'y paid for 9 nights but stopped in more than 30 different locations. 

"Campground" = any place you stay . . . private/public campground, vacant lot, non-vacant lot, Walmart, Moon Base Alpha, your mom's driveway, . . .

. . . add 'em all up.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

We have been at 8 since Jan 1st.  Currently hosting for the summer so the number won't start going up again until we leave here in the fall.  We will then be traveling more and sitting less than we have for the past 7 years.  

Pat DeJong

We have stayed from 22 to 42 different places in a year in the 11 years we have been full-timing.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

When I read the title of this thread I thought "wow, I haven't staying at a campground in over eight years, even though I've been fulltiming for over ten years".

Interesting what is considered a campground.  To me, the word campground has a very defined meaning, although I'm not sure I could articulate it.  For example, I'm staying at an RV park right now with 70 sites.  No way I would consider this a campground.  It's 95% workers living here.  It's a parking lot with a little patch of grass next to each site.

However, this past holiday week there were six families who set up in here and enjoyed a week of "camping" complete with the kids' bicycles, throwing the ball around, many cookouts, and late night sitting outside, etc.  I was glad to see it, but never would have considered bringing my family to such a place for camping, especially when there are dozens of rustic "in the woods" campgrounds within an hour or two drive of here.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just making an observation about our various perceptions.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

To me, the word campground has a very defined meaning, although I'm not sure I could articulate it.  For example, I'm staying at an RV park right now with 70 sites.  No way I would consider this a campground.  It's 95% workers living here.  It's a parking lot with a little patch of grass next to each site.

For me, the term "campground" means a public place with specific designated spots (NP, USFS, state/county/city parks, etc.) whether or not they have any hookups.  "RV Parks" would be privately owned, with or without hookups.

Regardless, last winter season (~November 1 - March 31), we stayed at 24 different places:  7 RV parks (mostly just for an overnight), 4 different LTVA's (for a total of 81 nights), and the remainder different, miscellaneous boondocking or dry camping spots.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

In the past 12 months we have had 62 stays, but only 57 unique locations. We have places we return to when visiting family in various states/locations.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

49 minutes ago, LindaH said:

For me, the term "campground" means a public place with specific designated spots (NP, USFS, state/county/city parks, etc.) whether or not they have any hookups.  "RV Parks" would be privately owned, with or without hookups.

I see where you're coming from, but not sure I can agree with you.  I'm more inclined to think that the activities available make the distinction between campground and RV Park.

I've stayed in some very nice privately owned campgrounds, on large lakes or small ponds with very rustic campsites and lot's of recreational facilities.  I've seen some KOA's with all the earmarks of a campground, rustic sites, campfires, recreation, tent camping, etc.

I've also stayed in National Park Campgrounds which were nothing more than parking lots with hookups.  Fishing Bridge at Yellowstone is an example of one which I definitely would not consider a campground but certainly served the purpose of a place to park my RV while I enjoyed the National Park.

I guess it all boils down to whatever image we have.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

...For me, the term "campground" means a public place with specific designated spots (NP, USFS, state/county/city parks, etc.) whether or not they have any hookups.  "RV Parks" would be privately owned, with or without hookups..

Words definitely take on different meanings to different individuals. The RV Park Reviews website states at the top: "The Trusted Source of Campground Reviews 15,937 Campgrounds". It thus uses both terms to describe the same database.  The site reviews include both publicly and privately operated facilities. The commonly used Allstays website lists "Campgrounds in US and Canada". Like RV Park Reviews it includes both publicly and privately operated facilities.  The Passport America Webpage states: "Passport America Discount Campgrounds". The participating parks are mostly privately owned, but some Ohio State Parks do give discounts to PPA members. There are numerous privately owned facilities like "Delaware River Family Campground" that use campground in their name. In my experience most RVers use the terms pretty much interchangeably. Tent campers seem to draw more of a distinction between RV Parks as places that do not allow tents and campgrounds which likely do.

3 hours ago, JimK said:

I was full time for 2 years.  I rarely spent more than a few days in one spot and often moved daily.  I would estimate roughly 100 to 150 locations a year.

That would be way to many for us.  I would be worn out from all of the stop and start.  Maybe that is why you only fulltimed for 2 yrs?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

40 minutes ago, Zulu said:

Interesting. Using replies from 8 of you for this year to date, the average is 20 and the mean is 22-23.

It's higher than I thought it would be.

Ours is higher than our adverage because we did not volunteer last winter but decided to wander I10 from Florida to Arizona.. Last year it would have been 11 for the same period.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

5 hours ago, Zulu said:

Interesting. Using replies from 8 of you for this year to date, the average is 20 and the mean is 22-23.

It's higher than I thought it would be.

If one travels 200-250 miles per day as advocated by at least some on this forum; it can take a considerable number of days to get between longer term stay destinations. It takes us 6 travel days to get from family in the mid-Atlantic to Florida after the Holidays. It takes us 10-12 travel days to get to the mountain states after spending the summer near the beach with family on the East Coast. 

8 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

That would be way to many for us.  I would be worn out from all of the stop and start.  Maybe that is why you only fulltimed for 2 yrs?

My goal as an RVer was to travel and see great scenic places.  I don't have much interest in sitting and doing nothing.  Even now that I live in a house, most of the time, I keep busy with a large variety of interests, goals and projects.  My RV was set up for travel.  My RV was a truck camper without slides.  To "break camp", I closed the windows, checked the latches, made sure the kitchen countertop was clear and drove away. 

I stopped full timing because of grandkids.  My wife was called upon to help and after months of back and forth travel we settled.  We actually split a house with my daughter, SIL and grandkids.  Now that they are older, we can travel easily and have built in house sitters.  In another week or so, we will be taking off for a cross country trip which is likely to last until about Thanksgiving or maybe later.  We will finish up some projects at the local University and then head for Maui. 

JimK,

We don't sit, it is just that we use our small toad to get out and thoroughly explore an area before we move on.  You can't sight see (or geocache) with a motorhome pulling a toad.  We park the rig, and use a week or two to explore a 100 mile or so radius, then move on.    Just yesterday we drove up to the Mt. Baker ski area (where I learned to ski as a child) in the toad.  56 miles each way, had a great day, took pictures of Mt. Baker and Mt. Shuksan, and I spent time tying to identify where we use to ski with all of the changes after 55 years.   Yes there were some times when we would move every day for a 3-4 day period when going from point A to point B (usually to meet up with family/friends) but really, really prefer to spend a week with the MH as our base for exploring.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived