Hi we are an  Australian couple traveling around USA and Canada  (on our 2nd, 6 month stint) and this time heading to Nova Scotia and then the eastern side of the USA.  (At the present we are in Campbelford ON, Canada)   Would love any and all suggestions for getting there and traveling around Nova Scotia as we have heard this is one of the most beautiful places to travel.  We are in a 40 ft Alfa Motorhome.  Thanks in advance. Mark and Hayley ?

Visit the Nova Scotia website and request or download a copy of their visitors guide, it will contain current information about things to see and do we have forgotten. Not to be missed is the Royal Tattoo in Halifax, the ceremony honoring fallen RCMP officers will jerk your heartstrings. No cameras allowed, but I saw a lot of flashes anyway. We were there in 2014, but I expect much has changed in 3 years.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We've visited NS several times.  It is a rather large province so you will want to consider several different locations at which to spend several days.

The most visited scenic attraction in NS is probably the Cabot Trail around the edge of Cape Breton Highlands National Park.  It's a beautiful drive and can be done in a long day (in a car).  We camped at the national park CG in Cheticamp and used that as a base for touring much of Cape Breton Island which is the easternmost portion of NS. If you don't have a toad and plan on driving the Trail in your MH be advised that there is a very steep (22%) climb/downgrade on the eastern side of the Trail.  I'm sure it can be done in a MH, but I didn't wish to try.

In and around Cape Breton there are all sorts of things to do including birding sea trips, ceilidhs etc.

Another "must see" section of NS centers around the capital Halifax.  There are numerous tourist attractions there that you can find on TripAdvisor and similar sites.  The fortified Citadel is the typical tourist starting point.  From Halifax you can easily drive to interesting places such as Peggy's Cove and even as far north as Grand Pre.  

Grand Pre is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is well worth the time, if you are interested in history.  It is the memorial to the Acadians who were expelled from NS when Britain took control of what are now the eastern provinces of Canada.  In an act of 18th Century genocide, the Acadians were literally thrown onto ships bound for the US colonies.  Those that survived (~50%) became the people we know as the Cajuns of Louisiana.

Another World Heritage Site that you can reach from Halifax is Lunenburg. Old Town Lunenburg is considered to be the best surviving planned British colonial town in North America.  

I don't know how long you plan to visit NS, but I encourage you, while you're in the vicinity, to visit Prince Edward Island.  Although there aren't as many "high profile" tourist attractions, the people and culture are unique, the result of having developed in a tiny province accessible only by ship until 18 years ago.  Charlottetown, the capital, is a charming city of ~30,000 and is the birthplace of the Confederation which has become Canada.

As you might be able to detect, we love the Maritime Provinces and have spend several summers there.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Lunenburg was one of my favorite places, and right next to the visitor center, it has a little city campground that isn't fancy, but is reasonably priced and walkable to downtown, which is a big plus.  Peggy's Cove is also very interesting, but parking is very limited, especially for RVs.

I went there is 2015 and have several blog pages, starting here.  http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/2015/09/912-ferry-to-nova-scotia.html

One last thing is that there are several big parking lots in downtown Halifax that will fit big vehicles and that usually have lots of space. 

I always enjoy hearing people comment about the province I live in.  Excellent suggestions above. If you like to partake in the odd alcoholic drink, NS has a  world class reputation for wineries (both red and white...and rose), distilleries and craft beer and cider makers.

BTW, I would take hwy 30 through Quebec to bypass the bridge/tunnel constipated traffic.. I think Quebecers get their licenses in their froot loop cereal boxes so be prepared to drive defensively. We bought a dash cam specifically for our jaunts through Quebec.

I hope you have booked your sites..  our rv parks are now suffering an affliction called "seasonals"... I understand the business concept behind it but it really hurts the traveler.  Many of our RV parks are older so be sure to ask about drive throughs or if they can handle a rig of your size.

Sometimes, you may have to do with 2 way hook up but many places have a honey trucks so full black tanks should not be an issue.  50 amp doesn't seem to be a problem but 30 is the most common.

The one thing you will find about NS is that the landscapes are diverse as you drive around..

PM me if you like..

Ian

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

6 hours ago, hayleycowan said:

I'm not sure how to thank everyone for their comments and advice.  It's been fantastic, thanks again everyone :)  Oh btw, we do have a toad, jeep...  Can't wait to get to NS now.

Kindest regards

Mark and Hayley Cowan 

Australia 

You will need it for some of the suggestions.

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Tcwndsr said:

Don't miss the Fundy Bay tidal bore, we saw it in Truro. Amazing!

I was very surprised to see surfers using the tidal bore.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Don't forget the Gaspe Peninsula!  Drive the Gaspe in the CCW direction as this keeps the ocean on the right side of the RV. That is a five day trip.

See also the reversing falls in Truro and St Johns.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Archived