The new 2017 VNL

forxlr8n

I hate to be negative in a crowd of Volvo lovers, but I'm not exactly impressed.

I wonder why they didn't bother doing a little more than fitting the 3rd-gen FH steering wheel and updating the hood--the windshield, doors, and most of the interior look like carryovers.

Take a look at this video (from 5 years ago):

Or this one:

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

This project was just a facelift project. All or almost all of the cab and I think all of the drivetrain was carryover. Some electronics and wiring were new so a few new switches or USB type options. 

Same wheelbase same cooling, same sleeper lengths and width. 

Instrument panel carrier is the same. With 2 tiny exceptions mostly passenger side.  Hopefully the buttons and vents are much tighter and better than before. 

So the front view changed a lot and the side view changed a lot. Trim shapes and colors changed. 

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

A buddy of mine is in the process of ordering a new 780, and was informed today they won't be available. The replacement is in the videos above. The changes I am sure are more than skin deep, what qualifies for "new" is in the mind of the copywriter. Freightliner did the same with the "new" Cascadia. 10 years after the original Cascadia they did make a lot of changes, and I suspect there are many in this new Volvo.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I think they did what needed to be done. The basic truck works well so why mess with it just for the sake of messing? The hood/headlight change to the VNR (previously VNM) and VNL gets the styling out of the 90's/2000's respectively. The interior changes are fantastic! That ugly poop brown color needed to go and the rest of the changes are for the better. I can't wait to get my leather wrapped steering wheel and new seats along with auto headlights and auto wipers and the touch screen radio will be the icing on the cake.

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I'm an HDT newbie, but I think this is more than a "new coat of paint and furniture rearrangement". At least in Volvo minds anyway. They have taken the old VNL website offline and replaced it with a new one - https://www.volvotrucks.us/trucks/vnl/  Most of the model numbers have changed (somewhat) - see below!! Lost a model? So, would they consider this a Gen III?

Hope this attempted table works!!

• Model Type                      Old Model #                 New Model #
  • Short Hauler                       VNL 300                        VNL300 (but full height!!)
  • Flat-roof Regional Runner  VNL 430                       VNL 400 (strange number direction [smaller])
  • Mid-roof sleeper                 VNL 630                       Gone, 740 replaces?
  • Short full-height sleeper     VNL 670                        VNL760
  • Mid-roof Sleeper                 VNL 730                        VNL 740
  • Premium FH Sleeper          VNL 780                        VNL 860

The Volvo model number system is confusing to me. Anyone got a rational explanation? The last Volvo 780 I was familiar with, was a car. :o

Don't see a workstation option, but it could be buried in a spec sheet somewhere.

How would you handle video cameras (hitch, right side, RV trailer) on this? I don't see a video option on the Infotainment system.

Anyone know the availability? I've heard orders in September, with availability in the Spring (April). Anything different?

11 hours ago, earlvillestu said:

What appears to be gone is the long mid-roof model, i. e. the old 730.

The 630 is the one that is gone for the VNL but can still be had in a VNR. The 730 is now the 740. The whole 760 and 860 are the really goofy changes. 

Oh and the touch screen radio will not be available till Q1 of next year which pisses me off a bit because it does not indicate that anywhere. Supposedly it will be a retro fit but no one has any idea of cost. 

2018 NH 48' Majestic

HERE is the complete video  playlist.

The 760 is  a longer condo than the 670. So that is of benefit to RVers who might want to keep it short but still have some livability. 

I like the new look, but it is a matter of personal preference. 

For the infotainment system, I'd rather put in my own. Volvo would never keep up with the industry changes. Just give me the required space and an easy way to hook it in. 

Some of the rear living changes are pretty nice, but not earthshaking. Refinements, for sure.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

47 minutes ago, RickS said:

I like the new 740.....to bad they didn't bring the dual clutch i-shift to the north american market.

They are waiting for you to buy a truck with a single clutch first and then get you to buy a dual clutch after:lol:

Seriously though those Euro's get all the cool shiz!

2018 NH 48' Majestic

The Infotainment system is a 7-inch color touchscreen that supports CarPlay, a backup camera (don't know if it can handle multiple or switch), and navigation features.  So high integration with iPhone. Not if it support Android Auto for us Android folks. There are several aftermarket system like this today from Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, Alpine from less than $400 to $1,000. The challenge will be cable and connector interface. I'm sure there will be solutions from the aftermarket people!! 

All new VNL models with the exception of the VNL 760 will be in production in September; the VNL 760 enters production in November. Customer RV Hauler units maybe Spring 2018.

1 hour ago, joezilla said:

so, how much will one of these VNL trucks cost? 

Joe

My VNR is costing me $118K and it is the small sleeper without the inverters and heaters and such. I do have all the chrome and really fancy leather seats though. 

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Archived