MID128 SID1 FMI12

RandyA

MID128 SID1 FMI12 and MID128 SID1 FMI7 active codes = Mechanical Fault Injector #1 = $2,500.00

Set the code 14 times on the way back from upper part of the Eastern Shore of VA.  Replacing an injector is beyond the means of my tools and physical strength.  Just glad it happened now and not when we were in Canada next month.

Got it back from the Volvo dealer repair shop today.  Running on all six cylinders again.  Injector was $739 with a $435 core ($1,247.00 Total) but I got the core charge back.  They do not sell remanufactured injectors citing high failure experience.   New cup, seals and sleeve installed with the injector plus they had to connect "Tech Tool" to set the trim so all six injectors were equal.  Labor was $1,328.25.  I considered replacing all six, which would have been a new mortgage, but was told that should not be needed as Volvo Central felt if it was two or more in a bank - like 1-3-5, then full replacement was advised.   They did a compression check - good readings.  Ran overhead adjusted all valve bridges, cleaned cylinder head.  Harness in good condition.  What I did not fully understand was statement on invoice that the injector had a blow cup and when they ran a coolant pressure test coolant was seeping into the cup.  How do you blow an injector cup?  Anyway, it is fixed and purring like a contented kitten now. Like Jack advises, figure in cost for this type of repair as part of your privilege of driving a HDT.    My engine is a D12D.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

The injectors are always painful.... :(

Glad you got it wrapped up. Hopefully, that is the only one you will ever do. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I think what they are saying is, when they pressurized the cooling system the cup was leaking (blown).  That's all they do really do.  Keep the coolant passage separate from the fuel and oil passages in the head.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

On 7/14/2017 at 3:33 PM, Jack Mayer said:

The injectors are always painful.... :(

Glad you got it wrapped up. Hopefully, that is the only one you will ever do. 

Jack, have you noticed the difference in the cost of an injector for a D12 compared to a D13?  The D13 injector is much, much less expensive.  Additionally, from what I can garner from the respective engine manuals the D13 does not require total removal of the rocker arm shaft to replace an injector. 

NoDirectionHome - yeah, I think that is what they meant by "blown".  Anyway, everything is tight and properly tested/adjusted.  The health of my D12 is apparently (now) pretty good for an 806,000 mile old engine.  I was talking with a friend of mine that owns a 2006 Ford diesel PU that had injector issues.  The labor rate was about the same per hour.  But, the work on his engine was double the time as the Volvo.  Mine was 10 hours, his was 20 hours.  That is a significant difference since these shops aren't working for minimum wage.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

16 hours ago, RandyA said:

Jack, have you noticed the difference in the cost of an injector for a D12 compared to a D13?  The D13 injector is much, much less expensive.  Additionally, from what I can garner from the respective engine manuals the D13 does not require total removal of the rocker arm shaft to replace an injector. 

NoDirectionHome - yeah, I think that is what they meant by "blown".  Anyway, everything is tight and properly tested/adjusted.  The health of my D12 is apparently (now) pretty good for an 806,000 mile old engine.  I was talking with a friend of mine that owns a 2006 Ford diesel PU that had injector issues.  The labor rate was about the same per hour.  But, the work on his engine was double the time as the Volvo.  Mine was 10 hours, his was 20 hours.  That is a significant difference since these shops aren't working for minimum wage.

Randy, I was aware there was a difference, but did not know the details. Thanks for filling in some blanks.

On the cost of ownership.....when talking to people it is important to point out that the labor rates for HDTs are "generally" lower than for pickup trucks. And often the hours are less too, as you note. Plus, the speed of service availability is quite a bit better with  an HDT, in general.Most of the stuff can be fixed in any town in the US. Or almost any town, anyway.  

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

When you consider the absolute hell that an injector in a diesel engine endures, I find it amazing that they last 100,000 miles, much less the 750,000 miles I have on the current set in my Detroit reman engine. A marvel of modern technology in my book. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived