Where to store generator

zenkate

Ok so I'm getting ready to go FT and have just purchased a 2000i generator for occasional dry camping.  I am travelling solo and wanted something i could lift!  Anyway I am now wondering where to store it.  I was delighted to find I could (barely) lift in in to the 'garage...'  but am now wondering if i should be storing it so close to the house battery?  and enclosed space?   Not really wanting it in back of p/u for weather and theft exposure.  advice? 

4 hours ago, zenkate said:

...but am now wondering if i should be storing it so close to the house battery?  and enclosed space?

As long as you have adequate venitlation space (6" or so) between your house battery and genny, you should be fine. It's not "ideal". Not that there is any ignition hazzard, but assuming your battery/ies are wet cells, some of the offgassing "could" potentially cause corrosion issues in your genny over time.

Without knowing which rig you have or where your batteries are located I can't really recommend an alternative.

One fairly inexpensive option may be to purchase a cover for your Honda. They can be had for around $20 at Home Depot or others that sell Honda's "off the shelf". Partioning the space might be another option.

In the short term though.. you're fine.. and it may never "be" an issue, but you're little Honda ain't exactly cheap. ;) I would consider it a worthwhile investment to pick up a cover if it's going to be riding with your battery/ies.

I store my Honda 1000 in an overhead compartment in the the toyhauler garage.  No problem and never had a fuel odor.  Basement should be no different.

Honda makes a cheap silver cover, and a nice "marine" canvas cover for not much more.  Get the better one.

Also, I can highly recommend the extended run fuel tanks you can buy on ebay and elsewhere.  Basically a boat type gas can with a hose and special cap for the generator.  When we used to do events we could run our 1000 for the entire work weekend (40-50 hours?) without a refuel on a 5 gallon extra tank.  Beats going out and shutting down the generator and refueling a couple of times a day when it would conk out.  If you already have a boat can you can just pick up the cap on ebay.

I carry a Honda eu3000i in the storage compartment near the middle since it is so heavy. I had it converted to LP gas and carry 2 extra 30lb bottles stored in the pickup bed on each side of the fifth wheel hitch. I've only used it once for about an hour in 5 years of full timing, but I always have it and it's ready to go if the need arises.

Greg

I bought a tool box for the truck. cut some 2x4's to divide the box to keep itens from shifting carries two yahama generators, two 5 gal diesel cans, 2 gal gas can and 5ton jack. You do need to climb up in to the bed to remove items but that's why I have the man step.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:55 PM, jjwicklund said:

I bought a tool box for the truck. cut some 2x4's to divide the box to keep itens from shifting carries two yahama generators, two 5 gal diesel cans, 2 gal gas can and 5ton jack. You do need to climb up in to the bed to remove items but that's why I have the man step.

JJWicklund,

That sounds like a great solution.  Can  you run the generators in the toolbox or do you remove them first?  Can you provide a picture?  Please advise.

Regards,

John

I bought them for our trip to alaska in 15, never needed more than one 2000 watt to charge batteries and run the coffee pot and toaster in the morning.  I have always taken one out to run never had the need to run both for AC.  I also carry a couple 5  gal diesel fuel containers. 2 1/2 gal gas for the gens and rome for a couple 5t hydrolic jacks..  I saw on one of the forums someone had the 3600-4000 watt gen and built a box to hold the gen and run whle going down the road.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

Archived