HERO Maker, "Pozzo Truck Center, Gary, IN + Volvo Warranty" = "Priceless!"

rocksbride

UPDATE:  9/21/17  HERO Maker spent the day in Gary, Indiana, getting the a/c repaired, while Kitty and I cooled our jets in Shipshewanna.  He's written his own update later in the thread.  So tomorrow morning, it's "Kansas City, here we come!"  Thx guys, Rocksbride. 

---------------------------

Hola Hermanos!  We left Volvo in Laredo, TX 60 days ago cool as frozen cucumbers... We left Colorado about 8 ROAD days later hotter'n habaneros.  Poor HERO Maker drove 2 days across eastern Colorado and western Kansas WITH NO A/C, a cranky wife and a puny cat.  Now HERO Maker is hotter than hot - but calm on the phone - dealing with Volvo in KC.  I will let him tell you his tale...  Please see his post from yesterday (9/13) in this thread for the current status of the situation.  Thx.

(For some reason he wanted me to re-open this thread instead of starting a new one.)

We leave for Indiana - Shipshewanna area - 9/18, which is about the same drive time as from here back to Colorado.  Kitty and I are begging you to please help the man. 

Thanking you in advance.  See y'all in HUTCH!!!

Sheri

-----------------------------

ORIGINAL POST HERE:  (We thought it was resolved.)

Hey HDT Buds.  We are traveling the hot border route to west TX today... currently near Zapata, TX.

The A/C is blasting like a heat furnace in the Volvo and even though it's 91 outside we're cooler with the windows open.

Rock did a quick check.  Wires are connected.  Some box blinked at him that he has an "open switch" or "open circuit."  Hasn't checked fuses yet.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

BTW, Rock said all his truck info is on his signature.  Thanks.  We're in a 2001 Volvo 770.

From Mark and Dale Bruss (Mark):
When the air conditioner Monitor Module senses the Freon level is too low, the Red LED will flash and the compressor clutch will be disengaged.  The module will re-engage the compressor clutch every couple of minutes to test the Freon level and then disengage.

If you want to add Freon, you could just wait for the compressor clucth to engage every couple of minutes until the Freon level gets high enough that the Monitor Module keeps the compressor clutch engaged.

Or you can ground the control signal line in the two contact plug going to the compressor which will force the compressor clutch to stay engaged.  Unground the signal line every so often to see how the progress of refilled the Freon is going.  When the Monitor Module keeps the compressor clutch engaged, you are making progress.

Note: you should have the dash and sleeper AC to to maximum.

Even when you have the Freon at the level you want, the Monitor Module LED will still be flashing Red.  To turn off the flasshing Red LED, you turn ignition swich on and off four times in one second intervals.

application-pdf.pngACCompressorPlug.pdf

Taken from the HHRV guide

Hope it helps,

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Climate Control Section of Service Manual (page 66) - says -  4 LED Blinks > (Fault Code Name) > Pressure Switch Wiring - Fault Description > Open switch or wire to high or low pressure switch

We had a leaking compressor last year and had to replace the compressor 

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Have you tried to put some Freon in the system?  A couple of cans can get you through for a while. 

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We sweated it out (97 outside and still cooler with the windows down) to Volvo in Laredo.  Rolled in about 1:30 pm.  Turned out to be a front a/c expansion valve which failed.  Had .6 lbs of freon in the system.

Parts:  $167.14

Labor: $451.50 (@$179/hour)

Sick Kitty didn't die:  Priceless

We rolled out the door at 6:30 $ 649.58 lighter.  Should make Del Rio before 9:45 tonight.  Wish I had a sweater. (JK)

We were thrilled we didn't have to spend the night at La Quinta because they wouldn't let us stay in the rig if they had to keep us overnight.  That also meant either unload the Smart or Uber over.  We're happy we're rolling west again.

I'm sure Rock will tell you all about it. 

My bad guys.  Misread the module. Red light blinking only once.  So the expansion valve failed and when it did, it let go of the Freon. bad o-rings in valve.  After all, it is a 2001!  Well, I won't have to do that again.

Thanks for the replies to my DW.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Glad to hear it is fixed.  We just got back from Vegas with afternoon highs in the one-teens (high one afternoon of 117*).  Would hate to be traveling out west without A/C.  I am sure Ms. Kitty appreciates it too!

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Yes, Ms. Kitty didn't like 65 and windows down, but it was cooler that way, and it was why we didn't stop to search the Resource Guide.  Not looking forward to pulling thru Blythe, Ca. on Saturday.  It's almost 99 there right now and it 9:15 PM!!!

But there is supposed to be a storm and that should make it nicer.    NOT!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Hey Rocky it is nice and cool up here in WA. Running mid 60's everyday.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

11 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

I've been two other times and never a look see at all.  Of course like my good friend Gail Quinn used to say, "I'm only 64 feet and 84 inches".

There's a name I haven't heard in a while.  How are he and Bonnie doing?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...

Must be something about '01 Volvos.....  My truck is in the shop right now with a failed expansion valve too.  Hope that's all that's wrong.

If I remember correctly, our serial # and Rocky's are very close, as is Paul & Paula's.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

As is Trey and Susan's, and Mike and Pat McFall's truck before they sold it.  I believe Trey has already has his done.  Won't know about Mike's, and now yours.

Just remembered, Bill's up in Canada was from the same fleet as mine and Trey's and Mike's.  It was Century Trucking I think.

This should be fair warning to anybody else who might be related to us "old" folks.  NOT us, just the trucks.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

• 1 month later...

Well, the A/C was working when I left the Dealer in Laredo, TX.  Drove to California, stopped for a couple of weeks and then drove to Colorado.  Was there for almost a month.  When I left Colorado  - NO A/C!!!!!  Drove to Kansas and visited Westfall Volvo yesterday. 

Not happy with this process.

Same leak area, but now they are claiming it needs a new line.  Didn't remove the large filter to really check it out.  They do charge a $150 quick diagnosis to let you know what needs replaced.  I said no problem, this was all replaced 2 months ago.

So now I have one Volvo shop who originally did the work saying they need to know what the exact issue is before they can back their work. 

Did I say the the diagnosis was 15 minutes long!!!!  Took 1 1/2 hours to pull the truck in and he spent 15 minutes looking around.  Didn't find anything else, but said, and showed me the dye leaking on the bottom of the expansion valve.  Then it was quoted as a bad line that needs replaced at the total charge of $1,200 plus change.  Did I say that the filter (housing) was not removed!!!

So now it sounds like they are just throwing parts at it, when it may actually be just an O-ring that was nicked while the expansion valve was replace.  Of course putting a new line on it and a new kit hides all that!

So who in the area knows of another shop that would work on my Volvo?  Can get it in this week, before I head to Indiana, or after I come back to Kansas.   Where do you local guys have your work done???  Did I tell you that the $150 diagnosis charge does not count towards labor costs!!!!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Well, it's in the wrong end of Indiana, but I use the Lischkge Mack, Aurora, Indiana.  They're honest folks, family outfit.  I get all my Volvo parts from then, way cheaper than the Volvo dealer.  C'mon down ans we'll go for chicken.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 9/13/2017 at 7:07 AM, rickeieio said:

Well, it's in the wrong end of Indiana, but I use the Lischkge Mack, Aurora, Indiana.  They're honest folks, family outfit.  I get all my Volvo parts from then, way cheaper than the Volvo dealer.  C'mon down ans we'll go for chicken.

Thanks Rick.  I'm really looking for a Volvo dealer so I can have them pay for this fix.  If it's going to be on me, I have someone in the Kansas area.  But thanks.

Does anybody have any experience with M & K Truck Center in Kalamazoo, Michigan?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Well, I doubt that the M & K shop in Kalamazoo is even open!  No answer, no nothing.

But!  If anybody needs a good shop to work on their truck, try:

POZZO TRUCK CENTER, INC.

3001 E 15TH PL
GARY, IN 46403-3679

It is the oldest Mack shop in the country, and these guys are good!   Found a failed expansion valve (the one that was just replaced in July) and Volvo warranty took care of it.

So high marks for Pozzo Mack/Volvo in Gary, Indiana,       and pass on WestFAIL in Kansas.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Archived