Dejae

My husband is a veteran of Vietnam. He did 4 years and out. No injuries etc. He was given an id card called a Certificate of Service DD217.

It has seen better days....is there a way to get this reissued?

Also, when you go to places like Lowes, Walmart, etc that give Veterans discounts, do you all carry around that big DD214 piece of paper to prove you are a veteran?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

Hi Dejae,

I'm also a vet.   I find the best ID (of a veteran) is that issued by the Veteran's Administration itself.

Your hubby being a vet, he should already have checked in with the VA.  I believe he should be (might have been) issued a VA card already.    It sure beats carrying the DD Form 214 around.   Best wishes for a good solution.

Dave Jeffries   SKP 100681 

Dave and Joyce Jeffries

Dodge 2500 and a 34' Copper Canyon 5er

Being a VN Vet, your husband should be aware of the Agent Orange diseases.  If he was in VN and develops any one of a number of (not uncommon) diseases like diabetes, heart disease and others, they are presumed to be service connected.  Even if he has no illnesses whatsoever, he may want to participate in the AO screening program.

The VA doesn't advertise all this, but VN vets need to be aware of it.

And when he enrolls in VA healthcare - even if he doesn't use it - he will get a VA photo ID.

John, Jean and (the late) Molly & Mea (the puppy) Springer Spaniels
2016 F250 CCSB w/Andersen Ultimate Hitch
2014 Shasta Phoenix 27RL XLT
BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.com

The last I knew, the VA had stopped issuing an ID to anyone who isn't getting some sort of benefit, but it never hurts to check. It is a good idea to register with them even if you don't qualify for anything at this time as he may qualify at some later date, as I did. It took about 8 years but I do have health care now.

On the Lowes discount, the best way is to just register with them online and they then open him a "My Lowes" account with the veteran status tied to it and he can then either show his My Lowes card or just supply his phone number and he gets the 10% whether in the store on via the internet.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Sometimes there can be possible issues we may not even be aware of and the military and the VA to a lesser extent doesn't notify veterans.  I was filling out an annual means test as required to determine if I would still need to pay co pays for non-combat related issues. I happened to notice one small line about being assigned to Camp Lajuene No. Carolina during a certain time period. During that time there was major water contamination that even caused serious problem for some children born to  Marines and sailors stationed there during that period. It is considered along with issues that might arise from the agent orange exposure.  I didn't learn of the agent orange evaluation until long after they started it.

A duplicate/replacement DD214 (DD217?) is available from his branch of service.  Any VA rep can provide the correct address. The VA ID card is the best and easiest to carry rather than the DD214/DD217.

Hope that helps.

Catfish

'08 Chebbie K3500; '07 Teton Sunrise Experience;
Native Texan/Transplanted Tarheel; Retired USMC

​LDO

4 hours ago, Pieere said:

Just being a Vietnam Era veteran qualifies one for health care, so he definitely qualifies! The benefits alone are worth it!

I never knew just being a vet would qualify him for health care, especially that he has medicare and healthcare that we don't pay for from the police department he is retired from

Blessed Travels,

Kirk,

I don't know if it qualifies as being registered as we have used his benefits for purchasing a few of our homes from the past.

I wasn't talking about just Lowes. Since we have been traveling (sept 2017) we have found numerous RV Campgrounds that will give you a 15% discount (which is better than our Good Sams) if you can prove you are a veteran. He has the card they gave him when he was discharged, says on bottom DD217. It is laminated but now starting to really show signs of falling apart because it is about 60+ years old! So he wanted to get a new one if available but I don't know who/how to contact. Or register as you say....Any direction would be helpful. He was in Airforce. Thank you

Blessed Travels,

21 hours ago, SKP100681 said:

Hi Dejae,

I'm also a vet.   I find the best ID (of a veteran) is that issued by the Veteran's Administration itself.

Your hubby being a vet, he should already have checked in with the VA.  I believe he should be (might have been) issued a VA card already.    It sure beats carrying the DD Form 214 around.   Best wishes for a good solution.

Dave Jeffries   SKP 100681 

Dave, as stated in other post, YES, he has a card that was issued when he was discharged...it says on the bottom DD217 but it is not a hard card, it is paper with laminate, it is overly worn and we wanted to find out how to get it replaced, if possible

Blessed Travels,

1 hour ago, Dejae said:

he has a card that was issued when he was discharged...it says on the bottom DD217

That is not a VA ID card. The DD217 is a miniature of the DD214 and was supplied by some discharge stations but not all.  According to an article from Military.com, such an ID is supposed to be available to all veterans at some point this year. A law was passed back in 2015 mandating they be made available but so far it has not happened. You may want to check with your local VA office to ask about them. I strongly suggest that he also register with them while there for possible future benefits. 

6 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

VHIC_Fact_Sheet_020215a.jpeg

This is a picture of the proposed veteran's ID card.

department-of-veterans-affairs-id-card.j

This is the current VA ID which is issued to veterans receiving medical benefits. 

His is neither and it doesn't look like his DD214.

It says
Certificate of Service

Armed Forces of the United States

The Department of the Airforce Shield

Says Under that

This is to certify  that

John Palumbo

His AF #

Then says " Has been honorably served on active duty in the

United Stated Air Force

His service dates, his signature

and the discharge officer and the discharge officers signature.

That is all that is on it.

Blessed Travels,

Just go to the nearest VA Hospital and go in and register he will get the one shown on the top! This will be adequate for most firms offering discounts. present it to Lowes and you will get their card! There are so many impostor wanna-be posers trying to use our military benefits instead of working for them like we have!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

FWIW, when registering online, Lowes uses a 3rd party service to verify your service.  Home Depot will not accept the DD214 to give you a discount.  I am registered with Lowes, but no longer shop at Home Depot unless there is some reason I need to go there.

I have never seen a reason to get a VA card.  I spent 4 years in the Air Force, including 10 months in Viet Nam, however the 10 months was in Saigon at Tan Sa Nute so my exposure to agent orange should be non existent.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

12 hours ago, Dejae said:

His is neither and it doesn't look like his DD214.

That is correct. What you described is the DD217 that is issued by the military. The two examples are cards issued by the Veteran's Administration. 

3 hours ago, Al F said:

FWIW, when registering online, Lowes uses a 3rd party service to verify your service.  Home Depot will not accept the DD214 to give you a discount.  I am registered with Lowes, but no longer shop at Home Depot unless there is some reason I need to go there.

I have never seen a reason to get a VA card.  I spent 4 years in the Air Force, including 10 months in Viet Nam, however the 10 months was in Saigon at Tan Sa Nute so my exposure to agent orange should be non existent.

My husband was there in Vietnam from 1959 to 1962 and he believes he was there before agent orange too.

In Las Vegas and so far each state that we have been in that he has needed to...in both Home Depot and Lowes he always gets a 10% vet discount. Some don't even ask for proof. But those that have have always excepted the little card he has.

We got it fixed yesterday....the laminate was falling apart and we were afraid of if we tried to take the laminate off all the way, it would tear it. But Office Depot got it removed perfectly clean and relaminated it for him. So for now...till we get back to Vegas for the winter (when there is lots of time) he can go to the VA there and get it done. We lived there for 24 years so he knows where he is going there.

This is not his but this is what a DD217 looks like

217-cert-of-service3.jpg

Blessed Travels,

Many states identify veterans on their drivers license, check with your DMV. Then you just show your drivers license.

My cousin took his DD214 to Office Depot and had them shrink a copy down to drivers license size, and it is still legible.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

18 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Many states identify veterans on their drivers license, check with your DMV. Then you just show your drivers license.

My cousin took his DD214 to Office Depot and had them shrink a copy down to drivers license size, and it is still legible.

I tried both of those suggestions at Home Depot and they refused both of them.  They required and active duty ID, retired military ID, or VA card. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Al F said:

I tried both of those suggestions at Home Depot and they refused both of them.  They required and active duty ID, retired military ID, or VA card. 

But at Lowe's, any veteran can register online for the military "My Lowes" card and get the 10% discount in any of their stores and at any time. You can even order things via the Lowe's website and you get a discount. 

My DH doesn't have a Lowes card, he just shows the DD217 he has and it works to date at Lowes, Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond, Best Buy and some restaurants.

But we got his fixed up and relaminated plus he just got a South Dakota license and got it listed on his license. ME ON THE OTHER HAND!

It is my birthday today and for over two weeks we have been trying to get my license and the DMV in SD is a PITA.

They wanted my marriage certificate to list my previous marriage name as I have been married twice. It states all 3 names, my maiden name, previous marriage name and my current marriage name.

NOW, they want NJ (where I was married to both husbands) to issue me a marriage certificate from when I was married to my previous husband, so that it only shows two names. This is to prove to them that there was no other husbands/names that I had between the two husbands. REALLY? I promise I was not married before my first husband. I was 16.5 yrs old, had my first baby at 18 and divorced at age 24. There was no room to marry before my first! lol

Well NJ says, we don't issue marriage certificates if you are not married to the person anymore. They will issue it but not with the seal on it. So it is like a copy. SD says, nope, gotta have a seal. I said, how about I get it notarized, nope, I didn't sign it, so not good enough. Can't renew Nevada as in NV you renew every 4 years. First 4 years you can renew online, second 4 years, you have to go in person. This is my in person time. Soooooo. At this point just so I can be legal when driving, SD gave me a SD 60 day temp license....and it is stamped, this license can not be used for ID purposes.

So I have 60 Days to make something work.

(No, I don't have a passport but I will be getting one, once this is all done. Or try to anyway). Went to passport cause DMV said if you have an active passport we don't need all the other papers. Passport says, we need a valid ID. SS card not good enough and license says not to be used as ID, so no passport for now.

Do I need a SD drivers license, YES, WHY? Because to register my car, which has handicap plates, I have to have a SD license otherwise no handicap. Not a good option.

THANK YOU IDIOT SUICIDE BOMBERS OF 911 FOR MAKING AMERICANS LIVES MORE COMPLICATED THEN THEY ALREADY WERE!

South Dakota, you are ass backwards in my view as Nevada is fine with my info as is and so is US Passports (if only I had a license or ID) and when we were in Florida it was fine when we inquired but then decided not to do Florida. South Dakota was easier for us for license renewals and having Americas Mailbox do our registrations for us.

My rant is over, so sorry. I am a cranky 60 year old today and not enjoying this birthday at all. Costing me all kinds of money having to get here and stay here all the extra time. Can't wait for it to be over, hopefully anyway.

Blessed Travels,

:D is extra special to help make up for the SD headache!   :D

13 hours ago, Dejae said:

My DH doesn't have a Lowes card, he just shows the DD217 he has and it works to date at Lowes,

It does for now, but they are asking us to get it attached to the MyLowes cards and that gives several advantages in that you can simply give your phone number and the discount will apply, with no manager approval no matter how large the purchase, you can get the 10% when ordering from Lowe's online, and with a MyLowes you don't even need a receipt to return something. Just visit Lowe's Military Discount and it will take just a few minutes. The way I see it, this is a pretty simple request from a store that is offering a discount just because we happen to be veterans.....

In my case, I'm a military retiree and my wife and I both have Army IDs. Last week when I was in a Lowe's, I was told about the new program and handed a slip of paper with the web site information. I went on and created an account. When I went to register as a veteran (retiree was not an option), the system wanted my date of separation. I can tell you the year I retired - and come pretty close to the month - both I don't know the exact date. With an ID card, I have no reason to carry around a copy of my retirement orders or DD-214. So, I guess when they finally implement this, as a valid ID card holder, I'm up the proverbial waters of pollution without adequate means of propulsion. Thanks, Lowe's... Home Depot is looking better at this point.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Really Rob

You don't know the date you retired?  Do you know how long you served?  Do you remember the date you enlisted?  I can tell you I served 20 years 6 months and 3 days I retired the 31th of Aug 1993.  Working backwards from 31 Aug 1993 that would tell you that if I served 20 years 6 months and 3 days that I enlisted on the 28th of Feb 1973.  It is really not the hard to figure out.  I already had a MYLOWES card so I just went to the Customer Service Desk and they took the info off my Mil Ret Card and added it to my MYLOWES card and I have been good to go every since.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Archived