Volvo 780 horror story's

Lurch

I have read that a few of you folks tow with the Volvo 780 and my question is this what years are you using and what motor / transmission combo I have read a lot of horror story's on the trucking forum's and was wondering if you all are having problems and if your MPG is what you were hoping for

Thanks

You can read horror stories about any brand truck on the forums. You typically only hear bad stuff reported.

Every brand has had issues, at some time, with the pollution controls as they were phased in. Some more than others. My take on all the brands for RV use is that they are just not used enough to show any breakdown effects at the rate the commercial applications show. And generally any issues are noticed and addressed immediately. Most of the issues I've heard of are sensor-based. Although there are a few wire harness (pollution control)  issues that have happened. The newer trucks with DEF definitely have less issues, industry-wide. So that is something to consider.

My mpg is pretty good with 55K weight and a D13 XE with 2.67 rear (singled). On an optimal leg I have gotten in the high 9's and I'd bet I could get in the low 10's. Not that it matters. If I got in the 7's I'd still be using the truck because of its other benefits. My recorded miles in this truck are not that great yet - so time will tell what I average overall.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks for your reply jack that's what I was thinking about the truck issues but I figured best to ask those who would know  do you know what years would be the best to be looking at and any thoughts on the D12 engine

Thanks

23 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Thanks for your reply jack that's what I was thinking about the truck issues but I figured best to ask those who would know  do you know what years would be the best to be looking at and any thoughts on the D12 engine

Thanks

It really depends on what you are looking for. From 2008 newer you get to choose an IShift. Which is compelling to many people. But you have to put up with pollution stuff to get it. 

Prior to 2008 I'd be looking in the 2005 area. Still have some pollution stuff, but not a lot. 

The D12 has a decent reputation. Those who own one may chime in....If looking at older Volvo's you have a choice of engines. In the IShift Volvo's you are  restricted to Volvo engines. There are a "few" newer Volvo's that have an ISX in them and Ultrashift Plus.....but they are so rare as to be not a factor. I've never seen one on the used market.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

My '99 has a D12 and it is still ticking along nicely just over 700k and gets good reviews from the oil analysis folks. Biggest expense lately (other than fuel and tires) was new fuel/water separator last week. 

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Hi Lurch,

Interested in a HDT

I have 2004 Volvo 780  ISX engine with Full out of frame rebuild 100,000 miles ago,  455 HP  Fully rebuilt 12 Speed Auto Shift

Pre Emmission truck  thank goodness.

Lots of HDT goodies on board,  APU, Sliding Platter, auto release platter, Lots of on board storage,  Tool storage, Air over Electric brake unit, Good tires,  TPPS tire monitor, GPS unit, extra high grade oil filter system, and more.

If your interested email me at clc54   at   hotmail dot com

Can chat and answer any and all questions,  will do data sheets for you too if you like

This can pull your 5th wheel  it has pulled mine for 10 years and I am just getting to the point it needs to go to someone else.

Have tons of pictures too.

Charles

• 3 weeks later...

Lurch   I've been towing a 5er with our 98 610 for over 6 years and use to tow with a 550 Ford. After towing with the Volvo I'd never go back to a little truck. It's so much more comfortable, safe, and people like it! We get 8-9 towing so I don't complain. I haven't had and major expense until this week. I had to send the ECM out for a ck. If bad $1100. But other than oil changes and a driver side rear end seal that we did here in my shop it has been a lot less than the 550. Believe me once you drive one you will want one! So good luck and be Safe!   Pat 

The Old Sailor

• 4 months later...
On 7/27/2017 at 1:55 AM, JPL said:

Lurch   I've been towing a 5er with our 98 610 for over 6 years and use to tow with a 550 Ford. After towing with the Volvo I'd never go back to a little truck. It's so much more comfortable, safe, and people like it! We get 8-9 towing so I don't complain. I haven't had and major expense until this week. I had to send the ECM out for a ck. If bad $1100. But other than oil changes and a driver side rear end seal that we did here in my shop it has been a lot less than the 550. Believe me once you drive one you will want one! So good luck and be Safe!   Pat 

The Old Sailor

Jpl..could you tell me who you sent your ecm out to?  The battery in mine is going but I keep it constantly charged but I still get the yellow engine light.  I have a 1997 wia I believe with an 11.1 Detroit.  It's old but runs good and the DW and I enjoy it.

Thanks

Ben

15 hours ago, chief916 said:

Jpl..could you tell me who you sent your ecm out to?  The battery in mine is going but I keep it constantly charged but I still get the yellow engine light.  I have a 1997 wia I believe with an 11.1 Detroit.  It's old but runs good and the DW and I enjoy it.

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,

I can't answer your question. I just want to put this idea out there. I would think more guys will see the question that you are asking in a new thread in the hdt section. I think your question will get lost here in this section. That is just my opinion. I wish I could help you.

Best of luck finding the answer to your question,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

3 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Ben,

I can't answer your question. I just want to put this idea out there. I would think more guys will see the question that you are asking in a new thread in the hdt section. I think your question will get lost here in this section. That is just my opinion. I wish I could help you.

Best of luck finding the answer to your question,
Al

Thank you Sir 

On 7/8/2017 at 7:33 AM, Lurch said:

I have read that a few of you folks tow with the Volvo 780 and my question is this what years are you using and what motor / transmission combo I have read a lot of horror story's on the trucking forum's and was wondering if you all are having problems and if your MPG is what you were hoping for

Thanks

One thing that I was informed by a mechanic that works on all makes and models is the cost of repairs if you need anything major.  He showed me a Volvo with a Volvo engine that needed a new head because it was cracked. 8-12 grand to fix it. Cummins, Detroit, or Cat around 4 to 6 grand to repair the same problem is what he told me. Then he told me the D60 series would be the best for mileage. Not an expert by any means but when I told him what I was leaning towards doing he got a big smile on his face. He thought the HDT route was a great way to go pulling the larger RV's of today. I am new to this HDT thing but after our conversation and asking some others they seemed to make total sense.

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

Lurch

We have a '99 780 D12 & can only tell you what my particular experience has been.  Our major problem occurred when pulling our new trailer home from the dealer in Kansas.  Something apparently went wrong in the "head" (valve or valve spring) and caused damage to the head & 2 pistons.  Towing, parts & labor plus 4 new batteries came to $17,000.00.  Since then it's been mostly age issues as in rear brake cans, alternator, starter & tires  I believe we were in the 600-700,000 mile range.  My truck started out in Canada so we are seeing the results of salt damage.  My original investment was quite low so although the repairs seem high I'm still OK.  I doubt that others with similar models have had the same experience as us. (dumb luck)

I expected to see 7-10 MPG so rarely check it. Not always having the need to fill both tanks. The couple of times recently that I checked, it was right at 7 MPG.  That's singled & pulling a 20,000# trailer.

Just telling you what I have experienced.  Good luck in your search.

Todd E.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Any truck brand can and does have issues. I can show you PLENTY of D60 and Cummins blown engines. 

The key is to buy a good truck to start with, make sure you look it over carefully, and do a repair/maintenance round as soon as you get it (or fairly soon). That way you know where you stand with the truck, and you have a good basis to start with. PLAN to put money into the truck. There are exceptions, but generally the cheaper the truck the more money you will put into it. Mainly because a cheaper truck will be older/more miles and the auxiliary components around the engine are going to start to need replacing. This stuff adds up - fast. Also, consider adding an aftermarket warranty on the truck. That will cover MAJOR catastrophic events. We put one on EVERY truck we sell. Hopefully you never have to use it.

If you are willing and able to do work yourself you can save lots of money. The typical heavy mechanical shop is going to run you in excess of $100/hr. Preemptive maintenance done on the truck is not "wasted money" as many Internet experts claim. It is an investment in "not breaking down on the side of the road". If you intend to keep the truck you will only do most things once in your lifetime (other than batteries and some consumables).

www.jackdanmayer.com

An average commercial truck driver covers between 2,000 and 3,000 miles per week.  Double that if there are two team drivers onboard.

That's about as many miles every two weeks as an average RVer racks up in a year.

Take a truck that's put up for sale because it's approaching the point of needing major service in commercial use and it will be considerably longer before it gets there at the RV use rate.

21 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Any truck brand can and does have issues. I can show you PLENTY of D60 and Cummins blown engines. 

The key is to buy a good truck to start with, make sure you look it over carefully, and do a repair/maintenance round as soon as you get it (or fairly soon). That way you know where you stand with the truck, and you have a good basis to start with. PLAN to put money into the truck. There are exceptions, but generally the cheaper the truck the more money you will put into it. Mainly because a cheaper truck will be older/more miles and the auxiliary components around the engine are going to start to need replacing. This stuff adds up - fast. Also, consider adding an aftermarket warranty on the truck. That will cover MAJOR catastrophic events. We put one on EVERY truck we sell. Hopefully you never have to use it.

If you are willing and able to do work yourself you can save lots of money. The typical heavy mechanical shop is going to run you in excess of $100/hr. Preemptive maintenance done on the truck is not "wasted money" as many Internet experts claim. It is an investment in "not breaking down on the side of the road". If you intend to keep the truck you will only do most things once in your lifetime (other than batteries and some consumables).

Now that you brought up the catastrophic insurance what company do you recommend?  

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived