Photobucket blocks all third party pictures

RickS

Well I just found out that all the pictures I've posted over the last 15 years using photobucket are now blocked. They are asking for $400.00 per year to host the pictures. :(

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update

20170703_095326.jpg

You're not the only victim . Members of a couple other forums have also been 'put in the same boat' ( I was going to say something a bit more graphic , but ... ) .  

If this is the future of Photobucket , they seem to be attempting some form of suicide .

A pain , for sure , but , images can be shifted to another site . ie : https://postimage.io/

Goes around , comes around .

This is a problem with small specialty providers. After being burnt many times I've stopped using them. I use only the major providers like Google and Microsoft. While they may not have every "feature" the specialty guys have, they can be "better" depended on, IMO. This is just MY opinion, and I know that both Google and Microsoft are hated by some people. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack, I have avoided Google and Microsoft sites because of the methods they use to collect analytics and sell the data to their advertisers.  I search with DuckDuckGo, run Mozilla as a browser and No Script as a plug-in and have been a user of Photobucket.  Apparently that is about to change.  Looks like there is a price for everything - your privacy or your pocketbook.  Other than running a VPN and deleting all cookies I don't know how keep providers from collecting piles of data on my usage.  Actually, I am not even sure that works anymore.  Maybe you or Mark have some good advice?

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

We changed to storing our photos at cloud storage we pay for and websites we pay for a long time ago.

Free is attractive.  Anything for free will some day cost you.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

36 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

We changed to storing our photos at cloud storage we pay for and websites we pay for a long time ago.

X2!  We happen to use the Microsoft Cloud, I'm sure others would work just as well.  For $10/mo we get five downloadable full copies Microsoft Office and 1TB of storage for each of five computers.  I have lots of photos in the cloud, but a TB is a lot of storage!

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

For similar money as most of the cloud solutions ($10/mo), you could pay for your own hosting with unlimited bandwidth and storage.  Then you have complete control over all of your content, running practically any software you want, and if service starts to become unreliable, you move to a new hosting provider and transfer your domain registration.

I personally have been very happy with DreamHost, both in terms of their overall service and support quality and the ease of setting up some of the more common software.  They also opposed SOPA, which was a thinly-veiled censorship bill, from the get-go: https://lifehacker.com/5870649/ditch-godaddys-sopa-loving-butt-and-get-a-better-web-host-at-a-discount

I could put together a quick getting-started guide if there was interest.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

16 hours ago, Nuke-E said:

I could put together a quick getting-started guide if there was interest.

Since I am sure you have noting else to do or are extremely bored, that would be nice.  Jut curious, do you sleep?  You have gotta' stay up 24/7 :rolleyes:

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Most web host providers offer canned Photo Album applications that are very easy to implement.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

1 hour ago, RandyA said:

Since I am sure you have noting else to do or are extremely bored, that would be nice.  Jut curious, do you sleep?  You have gotta' stay up 24/7 :rolleyes:

I'd be glad to.  Wouldn't take too long.

I probably average about 5 hours a night.  But the last two months I had lots of semi-idle time in my grandpa's hospital room every day. 

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Just a heads-up, and I'm not sure it works on all forums, but clicking on the PhotoBucket replacement icon where the pic used to be seems to take you to the original on PB. You still have to put up with their ads, once there, but it doesn't look like the pics have been orphaned completely.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 0:04 PM, RickS said:

Well I just found out that all the pictures I've posted over the last 15 years using photobucket are now blocked. They are asking for $400.00 per year to host the pictures. :(

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update

20170703_095326.jpg

IMO Photo Bucket is using the same tactic as Ransom Ware! I will personally find another way to add photos to my blog.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

I think you can still put a link in your post, then the reader has to go to PhotoBucket to see the pic. Aa I understand it, all they are blocking is the inserted picture.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I'm sure in a few weeks. Photobucket will stop this. Don't see many people paying the $400. per year for there service. Been moving my pics the last week.

Good to know Dreamhost can be made to work with my pics. Will be checking into that. As we have full hosting there.

Pete

event.png

Photobucket's business model depended on ad revenue for survival.  It has been hugely popular with 40% of the market for picture hosting.  Problem is, with the advent of ad blockers and 3rd party viewers, neither of which generate any ad revenue, their business model crashed as the vast majority of their users generated 0 revenue.  They seem to be in survival mode.  (Interesting that the company, located in Denver with only 60 employees, was bought by Fox Media for $250 million in 2007)    I'm not condoning what or how Photo bucket reacted, but it is a sign of things to come to the thousands of other services with the same ad viewing dependent business model.

Interesting article on Yahoo Finance:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-lesson-learned-photobuckets-ransom-images-debacle-191026772.html )

Unfortunately, Google also got their business model challenged.  The recent Google debacle over Adsence and Utube advertising cost Google in $1 Billion in lost ad revenue overnight (Google retains 40% of that) which is a $400 million hit to Google's revenue stream (And a $600 million hit to revenue available to Utube content providers).   It's that revenue stream that funds things like Google Docs & Google Spreadsheets on which I depend for the operation of our business.  I'm waiting for Google to start a "Premium Service" or some such to drive some predictability in their revenue stream.

In the meantime, we back-up to a local drive extremely frequently all data retained in online companies that are based on the free model.

It really is a shame as Google has been a huge innovator of online services.  I only hope they can continue funding all their unique ideas for new services.

I've got most of the write-up finished.  Hopefully this afternoon I'll be able to get it posted so that anyone can have control of their own picture hosting for a few bucks without spending hours figuring things out.

I've been using SmugMug.com for years to host my pictures. It's subscription based and ad free. Many professional photograhpers host their pics here. For most of us, the basic subscription $3.99/mo or $47.88/yr billed annualy has all the features you need. There is no limit to the amount of pics you can store and I currently have over 160gb of pics and videos. 

you can click here for a discount code when you sign up - https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=Y2l43o9LVBERU

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Ok, here goes: http://rvnerds.com/2017/07/14/hosting-pictures-domain-dreamhost/

If anyone has any trouble getting going that way, let me know.  If it looks like there's interest, I can do a little more on the subject of getting started with WordPress for blogging too.

14 minutes ago, Nuke-E said:

Ok, here goes: http://rvnerds.com/2017/07/14/hosting-pictures-domain-dreamhost/

If anyone has any trouble getting going that way, let me know.  If it looks like there's interest, I can do a little more on the subject of getting started with WordPress for blogging too.

Nicely done , that^ . Thanks . thumbs.gif

Goes around , comes around .

Archived