To single or not to single

jollyrogr

We just use a porta potty to satisfy that requirement. It has been in the lower cabinet for 5 years now and has yet to used!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

40 minutes ago, jollyrogr said:

That works. Microwave covers the cooking requirement, right?

Yes

This the South Dakota affidavit

SOUTH DAKOTA DIVISION OF MOTOR VEHICLES AFFIDAVIT FOR TRUCK TRACTOR CONVERTED TO A MOTOR HOME 
[A PHOTOGRAPH SHOWING A FULL VIEW OF THE VEHICLE MUST ACCOMPANY THE APPLICATION, AFFIDAVIT, TITLE AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION AND A WEIGHT SLIP) 
AFFIANT NAME(S):__________________________________________________________________ 
ADDRESS:__________________________________________________________________________ 
VEHICLE DATA: YEAR ____ MAKE_________________________ TITLE #__________________ 
LICENSE #___________________ SERIAL #_____________________________________________ 
I (we) hereby affirm that this vehicle meets equipment requirements and will not be used for private business use.
Check all equipment that applies to this vehicle. [To qualify, must meet at least 5 of the criteria listed, as well as the modification requirement stated above (SDCL 32-3-65):
___ Cooking facilities 
___ Heating or air conditioning system separate from vehicle engine or vehicle engine electrical system (must be permanently installed and meet American National Standards Institute and National Fire Protection Association standards in effect on the date of manufacture) 
___ Self-contained toilet or toilet connected to a plumbing system with connection for external water disposal (must be permanently installed and meet American National Standards Institute and National Fire Protection Association standards in effect on the date of manufacture) 
___ Portable water supply, including plumbing and a sink with faucet either selfcontained or with connections for an external source (must be permanently installed and meet American National Standards Institute and National Fire Protection Association standards in effect on the date of manufacture) 
___ Sleeping facilities 
___ Refrigerator 
___ 110 or 115 volt system separate from the vehicle engine electrical system either with its own power supply or with a connection for an external source or a liquefied petroleum system and supply (must be permanently installed and meet American National Standards Institute and National Fire Protection Association Standards in effect on the date of manufacture) 
PLEASE COMPLETE BOTH SIDES OF FORM 
Note:  To become a motor home, the truck tractor shall be modified to include a vehicular-type unit built on the tractor's chassis and designed primarily as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, vacation, or travel use. 
(Please indicate by checking) Vehicle ____will   ____will not be used to transport a motor vehicle, boat, or animal to a race, tournament, show, or similar event.  If you have indicated yes, check the criteria below that applies (to qualify, all of the criteria must apply): 
____ Prize money received from participating in the activity is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes. 
____ The cost of participating in the activity is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes. 
____ There is no corporate sponsorship exceeding $2,000 in any one calendar year. NOTE: IF THIS VEHICLE IS BEING USED TO TOW A TRAILER, THE TRAILER DOES NOT QUALIFY FOR A PERMANENT TRAILER IDENTIFICATION PLATE. THE TRAILER MUST DISPLAY A NONCOMMERCIAL TRAILER PLATE. 
I (we) hereby request that the Department of Revenue and Regulation issue a motor home title covering this vehicle in my (our) name(s). I (we) hereby declare and affirm under the penalties of perjury that this information has been examined and to the best of my (our) knowledge and belief is in all things true and correct.      
Signature of Affiant(s)______________________________________________________________  
STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA       __________________________________________________ COUNTY OF ____________________________  Notary Public or County Treasurer 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

To answer at least one question. I use my 2000 Freightliner Argosy for commercial use and tow my RV with it. As far as the licensing goes the tractor is commercial, the trailer licensed as an RV.. As far as operational issues using the commercial hitch/suspension. Over the 15,000 miles I have towed my Work and Play, essentially a cargo trailer with living space I have not any issues in damaging the trailer.

We have several guys in our fleet who do the same as I. No issues.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

4 minutes ago, beyerjf said:

To answer at least one question. I use my 2000 Freightliner Argosy for commercial use and tow my RV with it. As far as the licensing goes the tractor is commercial, the trailer licensed as an RV.. As far as operational issues using the commercial hitch/suspension. Over the 15,000 miles I have towed my Work and Play, essentially a cargo trailer with living space I have not any issues in damaging the trailer.

We have several guys in our fleet who do the same as I. No issues.

Do you stop at scales or keep a log when pulling the RV then?

Are you pulling a regular 5th wheel RV or a dry van that's been converted to a RV? Supposedly the frames on RV's aren't made to withstand pulling with a commercial hitch because the head doesn't articulate. Seeing as how shoddy some of the construction is on your typical RV, I tend to believe it. 

Jollyrogr,

Your microwave should work for your cooking facility, MN's requirement actually states cooking appliance with LP gas. Luckily for us the DMV took the title from the previous owners state of Texas that showed motorhome on it and did not require an inspection. We installed a microwave as we wanted to have something in there.

Porta potty would work for your toilet as it is self contained. An space heater would work for your heating and then add the 110 volt shore power plug and you will have your 4 items.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

On 7/7/2017 at 4:34 PM, VegasFlyer said:

Or Private Truck.

If you haul your own grain for sale, that is technically commercial.

Have to ask a ? If a farmer could not haul there grain to market. Why would they even want a truck? Its there grain and they have to get it to market. Thus they can haul it and its still farm use. Not sure where the Guy is from. But seen In a few times on the thread.

"All loads must originate from your farm and must be products belonging to you.  You can haul grain from your farm to the elevator and to other locations in Indiana.  You can also haul grain from your fields to your grain bins and farm machinary from field to field and back to the yard, or to other Indiana locations. "

To be Commercial. You would have to be caught hauling someone else's grain to an Elevator. Then the farmer would be in trouble.

Guys here haul there grain out of state. And are still legal, but not when they get caught hauling others grain. One last year got caught with a backhual. He found where he could haul chicken litter back. And was making good $$ doing it. But some how TDot found out about it. And followed him to where he dumped it on a guys pasture. At that point. He got a Ticket for no Class A, Wrong Tags on the truck. And a few other tickets. Last I heard his find was over $10,000. for that load.

As for the original posters question. One guy here bought a different truck to pull his camper. After finding out he could not do both legal.

Pete

event.png

I stop at all scales, full monte, medical card, CDL, logs. The trailer looks like a race car trailer and is normally pulled by something like a F-350. Typical RV hitch setup on trailer that is built with more strength than the average RV. Since the commercial 5th wheel doesn't move side to side I am careful not to put it in a serious twisting situation. 

Our business is pulling customers semi trailers, so when I haul mine it is as if I have a customer trailer behind me. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

12 hours ago, Pete Kildow said:

Have to ask a ? If a farmer could not haul there grain to market. Why would they even want a truck? Its there grain and they have to get it to market. Thus they can haul it and its still farm use. Not sure where the Guy is from. But seen In a few times on the thread.

"All loads must originate from your farm and must be products belonging to you.  You can haul grain from your farm to the elevator and to other locations in Indiana.  You can also haul grain from your fields to your grain bins and farm machinary from field to field and back to the yard, or to other Indiana locations. "

To be Commercial. You would have to be caught hauling someone else's grain to an Elevator. Then the farmer would be in trouble.

Guys here haul there grain out of state. And are still legal, but not when they get caught hauling others grain. One last year got caught with a backhual. He found where he could haul chicken litter back. And was making good $$ doing it. But some how TDot found out about it. And followed him to where he dumped it on a guys pasture. At that point. He got a Ticket for no Class A, Wrong Tags on the truck. And a few other tickets. Last I heard his find was over $10,000. for that load.

As for the original posters question. One guy here bought a different truck to pull his camper. After finding out he could not do both legal.

Pete

Pete, 

No offense intended, it appears that you focused on two seperate sentences of my post, that had no intended connection, and completely ignored the overall point of the thread.

The mention of "Private Truck". Was in response to the possible ways that the original poster (OP) could register his truck.

The statement, "If you haul your own grain for sale, that is technically commercial." Is a factual statement.  If you are a farmer, you are involved in an agricultural business.  

While it is true that there are several states that allow people involved in agricultural businesses, farmers, to haul their own commodity as you listed about Indiana, that does not mean anything other than the fact that the particular state is exempting that farmer from commercial registration requirements.  With that said, you can not say it is the same for each and every state, nor that, what relief is granted by one state, will be the same for different states.

The point of my post was for the OP to check the laws of his state and read the  actual law or regulation, rather than relying on what someone on the Internet or some person who answers the phone at DMV or licensing agency might say.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Talked to the Iowa DOT inspector and even if I have all the motor home requirements in my truck, unless they feel it has been reconstructed into a motor home they will not allow it to be titled as a motor home.  Gotta love when bureaucrats make the laws however they see fit.  Guess if I want a truck I will title in SD.  

On 7/10/2017 at 11:12 AM, Pete Kildow said:

Guys here haul there grain out of state. And are still legal,

Pete, I don't know where "here" is but in my state farm tag are only good within 150 air miles of your farm, and that won't get you across many state lines unless you are close. They are no good for towing your recreational vehicle either. Can't take your farm tagged pickup to the deer lease to go hunting or let the wife drive it to work. You can take it to the local hardware store and clothes shopping for the kids, but the movie theater is out.  

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

Pete, I don't know where "here" is but in my state farm tag are only good within 150 air miles of your farm, and that won't get you across many state lines unless you are close. They are no good for towing your recreational vehicle either. 

Also true in Indiana and Ohio, the two states in which I operate.  While the registration/license doesn't restrict crossing a state line, in doing so, you need to file IFTA for fuel consumed, if commercial or farm.  But I'm restricted to 150 miles from home and 7500 miles/yr, as prescribed by the federal form 2290 as I stated above.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

Pete, I don't know where "here" is but in my state farm tag are only good within 150 air miles of your farm, and that won't get you across many state lines unless you are close. They are no good for towing your recreational vehicle either. Can't take your farm tagged pickup to the deer lease to go hunting or let the wife drive it to work. You can take it to the local hardware store and clothes shopping for the kids, but the movie theater is out.  

Its tn here. But I was posting that to show the guy could take his grain to market. And I agree farm tags are not good for pulling a camper.

But here in West Tn, they use farm tags for what every. I see trucks everyday. Hauling lumber and logs or even freight. So and So's farm and there running cross country. I for one would not try it. AS I'm sure that with my luck. I'm getting caught doing it for sure.

event.png

On 7/10/2017 at 10:16 PM, VegasFlyer said:

Pete, 

No offense intended, it appears that you focused on two seperate sentences of my post, that had no intended connection, and completely ignored the overall point of the thread.

The mention of "Private Truck". Was in response to the possible ways that the original poster (OP) could register his truck.

The statement, "If you haul your own grain for sale, that is technically commercial." Is a factual statement.  If you are a farmer, you are involved in an agricultural business.  

While it is true that there are several states that allow people involved in agricultural businesses, farmers, to haul their own commodity as you listed about Indiana, that does not mean anything other than the fact that the particular state is exempting that farmer from commercial registration requirements.  With that said, you can not say it is the same for each and every state, nor that, what relief is granted by one state, will be the same for different states.

The point of my post was for the OP to check the laws of his state and read the  actual law or regulation, rather than relying on what someone on the Internet or some person who answers the phone at DMV or licensing agency might say.

Thats why I posted the info from IN. AS I think that's where the poster live's. And was only to the statement you were making. That he could not haul his own grain to market. Everything I have read on any farmer tag. They can haul there own grain anywere. But after its sold they can't haul it again.

But then again I'm just a dumb country boy. And have no ideal what happens in the state of NV. Being I never seen many row crows grown there.

event.png

3 hours ago, Pete Kildow said:

Thats why I posted the info from IN. AS I think that's where the poster live's. And was only to the statement you were making. That he could not haul his own grain to market. Everything I have read on any farmer tag. They can haul there own grain anywere. But after its sold they can't haul it again.

But then again I'm just a dumb country boy. And have no ideal what happens in the state of NV. Being I never seen many row crows grown there.

Not a problem, but I never said that he could not haul his grain if he was a farmer.  The statement was to point out that farming is commercial and farm plates just give you a limited exemption from the requirements for commercial registration, with a whole lot of constraints added in.

I have no idea of the farm plate requirements for Nevada either, but did have them on trucks in Washington and Oregon.  Both of those states had different limitations and qualifying criteria.  In both states I also had trucks running commercial plates on my own authority, because of the limitations.  No idea what they are like today, though I doubt they are more liberal.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

It's common around here for a farmer to run commercial plates, and do side jobs when time allows.  It may say "Joe's Farm" on the door, but he's got DOT numbers, IFTA sticker, etc.

I can haul my own grain to the delivery point, but I can't legally haul my mom's grain and deduct freight from the check, as that's considered commercial.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

For WA there is an exemption to haul others grain on farm plates as long as it is your lease and you are the producer and it is harvest and it comes right out of the field and your 2290 is set up right as Rick said.  But there is paperwork and a a grain growers in-field bill of lading I have to fill out and have with the truck every load.  10% weight tolerance for in field loads sure would be nice!  We don't get that here.

The more I looked into it, I realized farm plates aren't an option as far as towing the 5er anywhere.  And the IDOT wants to be jerks about allowing you to title as a motorhome even if you meet all the requirements in IA code...so I'll probably not even mess with them and title in SD.  Lord knows I'd rather live in SD. Or TX. 

On 7/12/2017 at 2:20 AM, VegasFlyer said:

Not a problem, but I never said that he could not haul his grain if he was a farmer.  The statement was to point out that farming is commercial and farm plates just give you a limited exemption from the requirements for commercial registration, with a whole lot of constraints added in.

I have no idea of the farm plate requirements for Nevada either, but did have them on trucks in Washington and Oregon.  Both of those states had different limitations and qualifying criteria.  In both states I also had trucks running commercial plates on my own authority, because of the limitations.  No idea what they are like today, though I doubt they are more liberal.

So you got lucky enough to farm in Oregon? Love that country and plan on visiting a lot of it in a few years.

event.png

Archived