B-20

kayakbob

On the previous thread posters were speaking of B-20 diesel . We lately have only been traveling in the eastern states  and I have never ran into B-20 , maybe it is a left coast thing . I travel Fl. , Ga , Ms , and east coast to Maine . 

The usual mixture found at filling stations is B2 biodiesel, nearly all diesel fuel sold is B2, as that is used to replace the lubricity lost during the refining process that removes sulfur . B20 is harder to find here in the Midwest where one would expect to find a higher percentage. I suspect that is due to the sheer number of older diesel engines still in use that were not designed for biodiesel content higher than 2%.

I don't like to use over B2 because of the lower fuel mileage.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

13 hours ago, kayakbob said:

On the previous thread posters were speaking of B-20 diesel . We lately have only been traveling in the eastern states  and I have never ran into B-20 , maybe it is a left coast thing . I travel Fl. , Ga , Ms , and east coast to Maine . 

The stickers on the pumps that indicate the percentage of biodiesel in the fuel are often small. The two most common ones that we have encounter state that the fuel contains up to 5% or that it can contain between 11-20% biofuel. At one point, Flying J had announced that all their fuel would contain up to 20% bio and in our travels through numerous states East Coast to the Rockies that seemed to be true. Since my truck owners manual says not to use over 5%, we stopped fueling at Flying Js. In our travels through Missouri and Illinois the past couple of years, it has been hard to find pumps not labelled with the 11-20% sticker. As I said, they can be small and even though I try to look carefully, I have on occasion not noticed the sticker befor starting to pump fuel.

I hate Bio diesel it causes a loss of fuel milage documented in my coach. I'd much rather have plain #2 no bio. I also hate Ethanol. The corn lobby is way too strong. This summer I can't find any #2 diesel only bio 10% - 20%.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

29 minutes ago, accumack said:

This summer I can't find any #2 diesel only bio 10% - 20%

I fueled today at Murphy/Walmart in Lindale, TX and looked all over the pump and could find no sticker indicating sticker to indicate any ethanol in the diesel. The gasoline pumps do. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There is no ethanol added to diesel.  It is vegetable OILS like soybean oil, fryer oil, peanut oil, etc.  we've been running with 5-20% biodiesel in California, well actually whole west coast for years.  Still getting 8.80 mpg.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Pilot/Flying J Bio blend can run from 0 to B20. They started blending around 2-3 years ago in the midwest/east.

It has done 2 things. First it will clean the fuel tank & lines. That will make filter changes need to be done more often at the first use of it for a while. 2nd may cause a little loss in MPG. My average has dropped  .6 to .7 MPG but some of that may be from pulling a toad that is 1,300 lb more then the last one.

Gas... Ethanol fuel is the most common biofuel worldwide,. Alcohol fuels are produced by fermentation of sugars derived from wheat, corn, sugar beets, sugar cane, molasses and any sugar or starch from which alcoholic beverages such as whiskey, can be made (such as potato and fruit waste, etc.).

Diesel... Biodiesel is an alternative fuel similar to conventional or 'fossil' diesel. Biodiesel can be produced from straight vegetable oil, animal oil/fats, tallow and waste cooking oil. The process used to convert these oils to Biodiesel is called transesterification.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

On 7/6/2017 at 7:09 PM, Barbaraok said:

........  we've been running with 5-20% biodiesel in California, well actually whole west coast for years.

Just out of curiosity - *where* in CA have you been purchasing Biodiesel?

I'll use Orange County as an example - there are NO retail gas (fuel) stations selling Biodiesel - period.

The City of Los Angeles has one.

Santa Monica (in Los Angeles County) has one.

One of several "locator" web sites

Note: "30 local gas stations in 24 cities.  In most cases a Credit Card, Debit Card, or fleet card is going to be required for purchase as many stations are unmaned.  Many stations may require a key card to access the property and station, as noted"

(That's 30 stations for *all* of CA)

I think the maps being linked are HIGHLY suspect... or... are severely out of date. I looked up 3 areas that I KNOW have multiple B20 pumps around town that don't show a single one. In one town they only show a single biodiesel location that isn't even a fuel station but rather a B100 producer.

I also have to question the West/East remarks. There appear to be more in the East, but I would suspect many of those are B2 or B5... but may not necessarily be B20 stations. I guess you also have to take into account percentages. 30 biodiesel locations in a Eastern geographical area with 300 fuel stations isn't quite the same as 10 biodiesel locations in a Western geographical area with 40 fuel stations. KWIM?

As for the CA link. Again... highly suspect. Doing a simple search for Orange County popped up 13 different locations from a single website.. and those where only the ones that had received user reviews. Included where Shell, Union 76, and Propel stations.

X2  In Nebraska I can say almost every diesel pump is B5 and at least one major supplier pumps say up to 20%. The map list only 3 stations in the state.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

According to this article explaining the FTC labelling requirements, "B1-B5: Does not require a pump label." State labelling requirements can be stricter, such as those for Washington State ("Pumps dispensing biodiesel blends of 5% (B5) or less must include a label stating that the fuel "may contain up to five percent biodiesel" and those distributing blends greater than 5% must be labeled with the capital letter B, followed by the numerical value volume of biodiesel and the words "biodiesel" or "biodiesel blend."",  and do vary from state to state.

56 minutes ago, Matilda and John said:

Would the use of B20 adversely affect heater and other systems that use the vehicle's diesel as its fuel source?

Technically no.   But any of the Biodiesel blends will clean the interior of the fuel system or in this case the burner system.  I don't see why it wouldn't work, but the first 50-100 gallons might clean the system, causing any filters to clog faster than usual.

If you have a motorhome with the diesel heated hot water system, chances are you've been burning a bio blend in it anyway.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On 7/9/2017 at 2:54 AM, Yarome said:

As for the CA link. Again... highly suspect. Doing a simple search for Orange County popped up 13 different locations from a single website.. and those where only the ones that had received user reviews. Included where Shell, Union 76, and Propel stations.

OK - how about a link that *you* used for the above info.

And - yes some of those maps are outdated.  However, Propel was touting their HPR "Southern California" locations in 2015 for:

"Los Angeles/Orange County: Fullerton, Harbor City, LaMirada, Lakewood, Norwalk, Torrance and Wilmington".

Only *ONE* of those cities is in Orange County! (Fullerton) - which would be an hour drive (w/good traffic) from my S&B.

Sooooo take a shot at those sites you saw.....I regularly drive the I-5 (and 405) between -and including- the *Orange County* cities of:

San Juan Capistrano, Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills, Laguna Woods, Irvine, Orange, Costa Mesa, Westminster, Stanton, Santa Ana, Huntington Beach, Seal Beach,

The "feedback" is welcome! - You Google - I'll drive!

Pick a couple of "probables" and I'll check 'em out - and report back.

Archived