DEF pump filter location

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am doing some maintenance on the truck. I like to know where is the location of the DEF pump filter. The following is a statement from the operator's manual. " First change at 161,000 km (100,000 miles 3200 hours or 3 years whichever occurs first, 241,000 km (150,000 miles) 4800hours or 3 years there after". When I bought the truck last year (2016) about this time of the year the truck had been serviced but I do not know if the DEF pump filter was changed. I think it would be a good idea to change out the pump filter. I have pulled off the drivers side fairing and crawled under the truck. I have been looking around the DEF tank but no luck finding the DEF pump filter. Where should I keeping look at to find this filter ? Right now nothing stands out as a filter to me.

There is also a filter that has the word ' Bendix ' on it. That filter will also be changed.

Where do I look at to find the DEF pump filter ? Is it hidden behind some other part of the truck ? 2012 Volvo VNL 630 with a D13 engine.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

18 hours ago, Seniramsu said:

Hello Al,

See if this helps out:

Brad

Hi Brad,

Thank you for the video. I will get back under the truck and look for that 1 1/4" nut. If I can find this nut from the video maybe the video could be put in the resource guide to be able to help some other folks. I will report back later on my progress.

Thank you again Brad. Wish me luck.
Al

Hi Everyone,

I got some sticker shock yesterday on the DEF pump filter. Ready for this.    $81.81.    Part number 21516229
2012 Volvo 630 with D13 engine. For anyone going to change their own filter, I hope this info will help.

Al

The filter and part # has been changed/revised like 10 times in the last 8 years so you made a good choice getting the latest and greatest at the dealer.  Some of the past ones really sucked!  And they screw your truck all up.  Put her in and don't look back!

1 hour ago, Scrap said:

The filter and part # has been changed/revised like 10 times in the last 8 years so you made a good choice getting the latest and greatest at the dealer.  Some of the past ones really sucked!  And they screw your truck all up.  Put her in and don't look back!

Hi Scrap,

Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe I did do some right. lol. The guys behind the parts counter at the local dealership always come off as good guys. The one fellow at the parts counter was trying to educate me on air dryer cartridges. He also was the guy that told me to remove the old filter and match up the part number.

Hi Brad,

I hope the part number will help you out. If I can find part numbers, I will try to post them. It just might help someone else out.

Al

Hi Everyone,

Just a little update on the filter change. Here is the part number again 215162229. The video was a big help. The fellow said he used a 1 1/4" socket but on my truck I needed a 1 1/16" 12 point socket. I don't know what the metric size would have been. It took a couple of pulls with the filter tool that comes with the filter to pull it out. 10 to 15 minute job altogether with crawling under with crawling out and picking up the used parts. The old filter had a different part number.

Al

8 hours ago, MrSeas said:

Thank you MrSeas for catching my mistake. I added one to many 2's. And I was wearing my new glasses. lol.

Al

So is this good for all Volvo's with DEF?  Or only certain year ranges??

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

18 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

So is this good for all Volvo's with DEF?  Or only certain year ranges??

Hi Jack,

I can't answer your question. That is the filter that the dealer gave me for my truck, which is a 2012 Volvo with a D13 engine. Maybe Scrap might see this and make a comment.

Al

Thanks, I can look it up...but I thought others would like to know. I'll let you know what I find out.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If I were to guess if there is a split it would be 2010-2012, 2013-2015, 2016-2017, 2018+

This is a risky one to not look up and buy fresh every time.   They've changed a lot since the ol white cellulose filter 8 years ago.  They also all work good at the start, but a couple screw ups with the wrong thing and a 5mph derate is always lurking around the corner......  The stakes are high!

Archived