Torque Wench Setting for 17" Alum. Wheel?

Don SC

Although this question relates to a previous post about jacking up my 5th wheel, it's a separate topic- I've checked my rv aluminum 17" rims and there's no stamped info on installation torque settings. So I'm back to ask what setting I should put my torque wrench to. I found the following info , but 90-120 ft/lbs is a pretty good spread. Again, thanks.

http://recstuff.com/pro-tips/typical-lug-nut-torque-specifications-for-aluminum-trailer-wheels/

I just went back to the link and asked the question- he said 110lbs would be perfect for the lugs I have. (1/2 inch) So I guess I've answered my own question...:unsure: {and you guys thought I was dumb...}

2009 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot C32BL 5er,

2018 Ford F350 Srw diesel. Curt 20Q slider hitch

Lewisburg, Tn.

What size lug nuts are they?  

Taken from TireRack.com-

New wheels should be re-torqued after the first 50 to 100 driving miles.

This should be done in case the clamping loads have changed following the initial installation due to the metal compression/elongation or thermal stresses affecting the wheels as they are breaking in, as well as to verify the accuracy of the original installation.

When rechecking torque value, wait for the wheels to cool to ambient temperature (never torque a hot wheel). Loosen and retighten to value, in sequence using the torque procedures listed above.

*If you cannot find the vehicle manufacturer's recommended torque spec, you can use the following as a guide.

Hardware Bolt or Stud Size Typical Torque Range in Ft/Lbs Minimum Number of Turns of Hardware Engagement
12 x 1.5 mm 70 - 80 6.5
12 x 1.25 mm 70 - 80 8
14 x 1.5 mm 85 - 90 7.5
14 x 1.25 mm 85 - 90 9
7/16 in. 70 - 80 9
1/2 in. 75 - 85 8
9/16 in. 135 - 145 8

SERVICE WITH A SMILE

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I was editting my post while you were typing Jim. Wow. There's a difference between your numbers and the ones I was just told.

Lewisburg, Tn.

Torque will be based on stud size and threads. Almost all automotive studies are fine thread. The list above will serve you well. My rig has 9/16 studs and I torque to 130 due to having coned lug nuts and aluminum wheels. If your 17.5 wheels are aluminum with coned nuts then you should be in the 130-150 range. If you have 5/8 studs then 140-160. 

I originally said 17"wheels and it was a typo that should have been 16". Sorry about the error..I've torqured the wheels to 95 ft lbs. We took our 1st road trip:-( 60 miles) and the lug nuts were still at 95. So it looks like I've muddled my way to success.:mellow:

Lewisburg, Tn.

36 minutes ago, Don SC said:

I originally said 17"wheels and it was a typo that should have been 16". Sorry about the error..I've torqured the wheels to 95 ft lbs. We took our 1st road trip:-( 60 miles) and the lug nuts were still at 95. So it looks like I've muddled my way to success.:mellow:

What size socket did you use to tighten them?  That may help us determine if you have 1/2 or 9/16 lugs.  For 1/2 lugs, your 95psi is adequate.  If you have 9/16 your loose still.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived