What 5th wheel hitch should I consider installing on my MDT?

leavingsoon

Hey everyone,

After alot of thinking/talking about MDT vs. HDT.....my wife and I decided to purchased a 2000 Freightliner FL60 to tow our 2008 Teton Reliance. We figured it would suit our current needs best and if after a few years we determine it is not enough truck we we upgrade. The truck will basically be a cab and chassis when we pick it up but will then need to consider a hitch....then probably fabricate a simple flat bed on the truck.

Can point me to a couple hitches I should consider?

Thanks,

Phil 

2000 American Coach Heritage 45' motorhome

Most people go with a Trailer Saver TSLB2H air hitch.  I've had mine for almost 5 years with no issues.  I have the third airbag kit to increase the pin weight capabilities from 5000 to 7500 lbs.

here is a link to their website:  http://www.trailersaver.com/product/tslb2h-air-ride-hitch/

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Several to choose from. I went with hitchcrafter:  http://hitchcrafter.com/32ksinglepivotair.htm

Double pivot hitch, in service for over 10 years without a single problem.  Comes straight from the factory at 8K max pin weight and 32K max load.  Company is great to work with and hitch uses standard air bags available from any truck shop or online for 85.00 per if needed.   Unit is built like a tank and can withstand accidental overloading without issues.

Here are a couple pics of unit in our latest truck (its moved from a couple different trucks):

IMG_2424.jpg.93fa573a112d2d1a60bf16cc3acaf48a.jpgIMG_2426.jpg.919e43302d54b34eb4a5bfeb4baf3ac9.jpg

I'm extatic with my new ET Senior.  Henry's build quality is head and shoulders above any mass produced hitch and his customer support is beyond excellent. 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

The Trailersaver is a good hitch. I used one on an HDT for 10 years before moving to the ET. Why did I move to the ET? Because I sold that truck and needed a heavy duty hitch on the next truck. The TS did not support the pin weights I wanted....or should I say it did not "optimally" support the pin weights. Plus the ET was better built for heavier weights. 

That said, if the pin weights were not real heavy I'd be looking at a TS, and a Comfort Ride for the lighter trailers/pins.  In addition to the ET. Those are the three that catch my attention. But there are others around, as people have noted.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks guys. Once I get the old service body removed from the truck I will be able to get an accurate measurement of the space to work with.

The other question I have been wondering about is will I be required to install the hitch directly above the rear axle?....or will I have the ability with the 12k pound rear axle to locate the hitch behind the axle center?? The answer to this issue is going to help me decide what I want to accomplish on the flat bed.

Phil

2000 American Coach Heritage 45' motorhome

I have a '01 fl 60 sport chassis.  I installed a McCall hitch with a binkley head. ( it came with a ball hitch)

4 bags, 4 shocks. Love it.

PM me if you want pics.

Ian.

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

15 minutes ago, Grassy said:

I have a '01 fl 60 sport chassis.  I installed a McCall hitch with a binkley head. ( it came with a ball hitch)

4 bags, 4 shocks. Love it.

PM me if you want pics.

Ian.

So can you still buy these? Is Gene's son making them???

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

On 2017-07-05 at 7:42 PM, Jack Mayer said:

So can you still buy these? Is Gene's son making them???

Jack, 

I had heard a rumor yes..I cannot remember where...but very limited.. 

I was lucky enough to find a gently used one... and really like it.

I apologize for my really useless answer :(.

Ian.

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2017 at 3:33 PM, Pug said:

Several to choose from. I went with hitchcrafter:  http://hitchcrafter.com/32ksinglepivotair.htm

Double pivot hitch, in service for over 10 years without a single problem.  Comes straight from the factory at 8K max pin weight and 32K max load.  Company is great to work with and hitch uses standard air bags available from any truck shop or online for 85.00 per if needed.   Unit is built like a tank and can withstand accidental overloading without issues.

Here are a couple pics of unit in our latest truck (its moved from a couple different trucks):

IMG_2424.jpg.93fa573a112d2d1a60bf16cc3acaf48a.jpgIMG_2426.jpg.919e43302d54b34eb4a5bfeb4baf3ac9.jpg

I had that hitch on my 3500. Nice hitch. Towed great. Not as heavy duty as an ET.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Not sure what your classification of heavy duty is .....  At a pin weight of 8K, 32K tow and air ride it better than Trailer Saver and many others that I have used over the years and got rid of.  As for Heavy Duty, I made the mistake of forgetting my load was in KILO vs LBS and at the scales got a surprise that I was at 54,000.00 gross on the trailer with 90 PSI in the bags and did not even notice it on the truck, hitch, suspension etc.  I do not mean to knock the ET product, I am looking forward to getting one, but ET is 8500 lbs on the pin max and 32K lbs tow with a max of 135 psi on the bags ....  So its 500 lbs greater on the pin and nothing more.   While the ET hitch is the great, Hitch Crafter is 1/2 in price and out of the factory by default supports max load without purchasing anything else.  When a bag fails, its a over the counter replacement at many truck centers or online.  I have set mine up so that I can replace a bag while hitched, use the landing gear to lift the hitch up and remove the 4 bolts and swamp a replacement bag in ( I carry a spare since this bags are aging now).  This hitch has seen everything from a Newmar Kountry Aire, to gooseneck cattle trailer to flatbed hauling 10 tons of grapes, farm equipment, construction equipment and more.

Not really. I physically lifted my Hitch Crafters by myself. I am not a big man either. It isn't light but managble. No way could I lift the ET. Pivot shafts larger, everything heavier. Is it needed for a lighter weight truck, no. Nice fit for my HDT. I am not downing the Hitch Crafters. If I ever tow with a ldt, that is what I'll have with a hauler bed. But on a a larger MTD I would definitely consider the ET.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 1 month later...

Archived