Newbie here - going from renter to fulltime TT living

Hi all,

I am brand new to RVing.  I spent 4 days and 3 nights in a 22 foot travel trailer in February to see if I liked it (I did) and so I hatched a plan to free myself from rentals!  It is just me and my 2 small dogs, Bug and Bean, here in Northern CA.  My TT arrived yesterday.  It is a 2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS and I am in love with it:)  I have learned a lot in 3 days but the learning curve is steep and I have a gazillion questions!  At some point, I will sit down and just read articles, threads, blogs and books but I dove in, the trailer is here and I have to be out of my rental by Saturday!

The TT is parked in my neighborhood, no access to power and the batteries are already at 3/4 bc I ran the fantastic fan.  it was boiling hot in there yesterday so I am trying to quickly move stuff in now while it is still cool.

Here come the questions:

Q - how to power a fan with mo power and no generator (not gonna do that to my neighbors!)  The only solution I've come up with in the short term is a 12V fan bought at an RV supply store.

Q - How to research, buy and install an inverter to switch from battery (2 12V pos/pos/neg/neg) to 120V.  

I plan on living off-grid sometimes and I am off-grid all this week and I'd like to be able to work in the TT and not die of dehydration.  I plan on getting portable solar panels to keep my batteries charged and at some point will get a gennie to run AC but I'd prefer to use the solar/battery for as much as possible, especially box fans and maybe the microwave.  It is hot where I live (90's) and I doubt I will do much cooking indoors so toaster oven and microwave all summer.

Q - I am moving into my TT and then will have it hauled to an RV site for a few days.  When I go to move the TT, I assume everything needs to be off the countertops?  how secure will everything be if every cabinet is full?  If I am packing it like a house, how heavy could it possibly get?  I will be moving it quite a bit in the month of July while I secure a more permanent, temporary spot to park it...

Sheesh, I am going to stop there!

Thanks in advance!

peace, Maria B (MM) and Bug n Bean (BnB)

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your new trailer.

I have not used solar power myself but at Quartzsite I saw a RVer using a portable solar panel and moving it with the sun to keep their batteries charged.  That particular unit wasn't very big but the cost and portability may be the way to start then install permanent solar panels on your roof if you plan to do a lot of boon docking.

We use a Vornado brand fan that is compact, quiet and circulates air through out the RV.

Yes, you need to "Batten Down The Hatches" when moving your trailer.
o   I would suggest a light color non slip drawer and cupboard liner to prevent items from moving in your cabinets and keeping the drawer light making it easier to find thing.  Dark liners tend to hide things.  When it get dirty I just throw it in the washing machine. .
o   Tension bars and or clear acrylic baskets in the frig to keep items from greeting you when you open the frig door
o   6" ball bungee cords to secure your cabinet doors
o   Commercial grade Velcro to hold things on the walls or counter tops
o   Baskets on counter tops to hold things so you can put them on the floor quickly when you get ready to move
o   I keep a canvas bag in my end table and just but all the items on the end table in the bag when I get ready to move ie dog treats, Kleenex box, remote controls and drink coasters.

Safe Travels,

1 hour ago, Velos said:

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your new trailer.

I have not used solar power myself but at Quartzsite I saw a RVer using a portable solar panel and moving it with the sun to keep their batteries charged.  That particular unit wasn't very big but the cost and portability may be the way to start then install permanent solar panels on your roof if you plan to do a lot of boon docking.

We use a Vornado brand fan that is compact, quiet and circulates air through out the RV.

Yes, you need to "Batten Down The Hatches" when moving your trailer.
o   I would suggest a light color non slip drawer and cupboard liner to prevent items from moving in your cabinets and keeping the drawer light making it easier to find thing.  Dark liners tend to hide things.  When it get dirty I just throw it in the washing machine. .
o   Tension bars and or clear acrylic baskets in the frig to keep items from greeting you when you open the frig door
o   6" ball bungee cords to secure your cabinet doors
o   Commercial grade Velcro to hold things on the walls or counter tops
o   Baskets on counter tops to hold things so you can put them on the floor quickly when you get ready to move
o   I keep a canvas bag in my end table and just but all the items on the end table in the bag when I get ready to move ie dog treats, Kleenex box, remote controls and drink coasters.

Safe Travels,

Velos - that is an excellent list of necessities!  I will be moving it at least 4 times in one week so thanks for the heads up!

peace, MM, BnB

Shop Walmart instead of an RV store--cheaper as a general rule. The O2B cool fans have a good reputation. Mine can run off 12v, 110 volt, or D cell batteries. The non-slip shelf liners are available at Walmart or Target. 3M command strips are good for attaching things you don't want to move every time the house does; I prefer them to Velcro because they don't attract fuzz and they remove cleanly when you decide you put them in the wrong place or you want to move them to a new rig.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Fantastic Fan makes a 12v version of their ceiling fans that I use quite often if I don't have shore power, it moves a lot of air just like the ceiling version.  I installed a 400w Renogy RV solar kit and built a four 6v battery bank that keeps me running all day no problem (except for AC).  You get what you pay for a lot of times with solar, make sure your getting quality stuff you can rely on.  Renogy sold me with their customer service and ease of installation.  I bought a small 150W GoPower inverter to run or charge small items in the trailer and a larger 800w inverter if I need to run something bigger (coffee pot, toaster, etc).  I bought a Champion 3100W gas/propane generator for emergency battery charging and AC running if it gets way hot while boon docking.

Command hooks, hangers, baskets, and all their cool items are perfect for a travel trailer.  If you need to hang or secure something they probably make an item do it.  Home Depot or Lower, or Amazon is my go to place for those things.  Switch your favorite pictures to lightweight plastic frames and use command picture hanging strips to make the camper "homey"

+1 on the Vornado fans.  I have one tall one in the far back corner of the trailer and a small countertop version in the front on the counter.  Those two fans move a serious amount of air for how quiet they are.  I use these when I'm on shore power and the Fantastic Fan if Im boon docking or just need even more airflow.

Just remember, your going to screw up.  You'll figure it out on the fly and make it work.  Don't go spend a lot of money on RV trinkets.  Live in it and buy a little at a time as you realize it solves a problem you have solve.  I jumped in headfirst on my first RV and bought quite a few things because I thought I'd need them and never did.  Buy the best sewer hose you can afford! buy the best water hose you can afford!  Buy a nice extension cord and buy all your shore power adapters.

Archived