No bed built?

Pete Kildow

Just as an FYI

ALL standard PVC pipe is not rated for gas pressure period.     The heat and vibration in a truck along with the known prohibition in gas service makes any PVC vessel a very poor choice.     The old saying tripping over dollars to save dimes comes to mind here.     A few small tanks or iron pipe is not much in cost, damage to things or people is not worth the risk.    

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Randy   I'm upgrading my dust collector from 4" PVC to 6" PVC. Since it sucks rather than blows I sure hope it will be OK. How much 6" do you have? Is you Cell # still good?    Pat

The Old Sailor

21 hours ago, Pete Kildow said:

As a buddy of mine owns a big truck yard. And has lots of trashed trucks

Off topic, but where is his yard located?  I'm looking for a few things but the shipping charges are too much. 

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

On 7/6/2017 at 10:36 PM, noteven said:

THANKS!  The document includes the math I was looking for.  Time to put new batteries in the TI-84.  Good deal, thanks again.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

On 7/6/2017 at 8:08 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

Just as an FYI

ALL standard PVC pipe is not rated for gas pressure period.     The heat and vibration in a truck along with the known prohibition in gas service makes any PVC vessel a very poor choice.     The old saying tripping over dollars to save dimes comes to mind here.     A few small tanks or iron pipe is not much in cost, damage to things or people is not worth the risk.    

Steve

OK - I will take PVC out of my suggestion line.  I have similar steel pipe and can do decent welding.  PVC was just another one of my brainstorming ideas of something easy to acquire, assemble and install without specialized skills or tools.  I'm more interested in a different air bag than a ping tank anyway..... :D

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I haven't done much for bag size swapping.  Just a race truck that it worked fine, but it didn't win either....:rolleyes:  The look took a bit of getting used to - it went from hamburger bags to a bad case of chicken legs.

I've added a few of the Reyco ping tank kits though.  We did this while installing their spring to airbag conversion kits so I don't know how much the ping tanks themselves helped or hurt.  Their kit is two tanks that are 200-400 cu in each (don't remember exactly), one for each side, and it plumbs between leveling valve and bags.  So you don't just tee the bags off to the tank.  You put the leveling valve input into one end of the tank, then two bags out of the tank.  We did 1/2" line from valve to tank and 3/4 nylon from tank to bag.  We didn't re-tap the bag, but we did ream open the pipe thread brass part of the fitting for whatever that was worth.  These were 300hp bulk haulers, but you need to be pretty careful going too soft on rebound with a 500+ HP single truck.  It'll raise the frame and give you driveline troubles on acceleration - just when you don't want it.  So keep frame jack measurements vs time as part of your testing to make sure that doesn't go south [or is it north? <_<] on you.  It also takes forever to go down and sounded like a city bus.

There is no big line kit for an AG100.  It isn't possible.  I suppose you could call it a kit for the early AG200, but really it is just a pile of parts to update to later production units.  AG200 was only made with small lines for a short time in the 90's, then they all went big line.  Those were pretty much all TIB'd in the 90's so it is pretty rare to come across a small line one nowadays.  I'm not even sure you can get a small fitting bag for that anymore anyways?  AG400 has the crimped together hose setup & o-ring fitting that is the best so that is the 'big hose kit' that you'd want to make yourself.  All of them take new bags to match and ends up being quite the pile of parts.

Single axle Airglides never used big lines.  The lines are parallel plumbed and without a 2nd axle there is no way to plumb them.  So they use the big line fittings that are special drilled at the end for 3/8" line.  I highly doubt a 96 W900 had an AG200 (it is technically possible, but that is the last person that woulda bought it) and there is no way to single an AG100 so it would be interesting to see just what is on the rear end of the truck before all of the work begins.

I'm an Airglide lover and totally believe in it over any non-vocational trailing arm.  That said, they are not a soft cushy marshmallow going down the road and they never will be.  So if that is the goal then it is best to start with something else cuz it'll be quite expensive and frustrating and will still never get there.

5 hours ago, Scrap said:

I haven't done much for bag size swapping.  Just a race truck that it worked fine, but it didn't win either....:rolleyes:  The look took a bit of getting used to - it went from hamburger bags to a bad case of chicken legs....

I'm an Airglide lover and totally believe in it over any non-vocational trailing arm.  That said, they are not a soft cushy marshmallow going down the road and they never will be.  So if that is the goal then it is best to start with something else cuz it'll be quite expensive and frustrating and will still never get there.

Scrap - did that race truck have a certain 18 litre engine that starts with C and ends with AT? 

Airglide - applies power to the road vs jacking the chassis up and down...  KW will not build a truck that goes into driveline angle gyrations pulling up a grade in the low gears... KW W900 "towing heavy" ... fun video and of course totally not applicable to RV hauling... 

One spring morning we get a wet snow north of town on a 2-1/2 mile grade out of a river valley. The shoulder is festooned with parked 6 axle oilfield fluid tankers, sporting Hendrickson, Low air leaf, Airliner suspensions, LED hazard lights flashing away, waiting for the sanding truck. A guy with a "starts with T ends with 800" flips his diff lock and interaxle valves, and out and around the whole parade up the hill. Bitching ensues on the 10-4 due to "safety"- He says, " Git yerself a 46 Airglide..." and disappears over the top of the hill... 

But Scrap is correct - they aren't a fluffy floaty suspension. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 7/7/2017 at 6:55 AM, Sculptor said:

Off topic, but where is his yard located?  I'm looking for a few things but the shipping charges are too much. 

Moore Brothers Truck sale's Selmer Tn. There east of the traffic lite at Hwy 64 and Hwy 45. Across the road from Hardie's Restaurant. What are you looking for? I can swing by and check if they have it for you. They used to have lots of parts trucks. But the last few years, there moving more into buying trucks and selling them. Donnie offered us a 2000 Volvo with 12.7 and autoshift. At a steal of a price. And I waited 3 hours longer then I should have. Guy bought it and had been running it commercial. 

There was a guy on here that sold his truck. It was sold in Fort Wayne IN. I think it was, he offered me that truck. As we had told him we were looking for one. But a local guy had won the auction. Or the giveaway, and Donnie was going to have to guy it from him. Then transport it here, so I did not go for it.

event.png

9 hours ago, Pete Kildow said:

What are you looking for? I can swing by and check if they have it for you.

Thanks Pete, that's a very kind offer. I might have the opportunity to stop there myself soon. No need for you to make a trip on my behalf.  

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 7/8/2017 at 8:16 AM, RandyA said:

THANKS!  The document includes the math I was looking for.  Time to put new batteries in the TI-84.  Good deal, thanks again.

Randy Did you ever figure out the lighter weight air bags? I'm thinking of doing the same thing  to my truck to make it ride better with tandem axles.

2011 Volvo D13 485/1750  Eaton 13 Speed

2016 Montana 3820FK

Archived