Jacking up the 5th wheel

Don SC

I'm going to replace the 7 yr. old tires on my "new"  5th wheel trailer. I figured that I'd remove the wheels and take them to the tire store-22 miles away. By jacking up the rear of the trailer, am I putting too much weight on the front landing gear? I haven't weighed the trailer, but it's a Crossroads Cruiser 34ft 9 inches long. Just a guess- around 10,500lbs.

2009 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot C32BL 5er,

2018 Ford F350 Srw diesel. Curt 20Q slider hitch

Lewisburg, Tn.

Your trailer frame is designed to be supported at the axles and at the hitch pin. If you jack at the axles you won't have any frame issues. I wouldn't jack at the back of the frame to pick up the axles, as the stresses in the frame will be different than under "normal" support conditions. Jacking at the rear of the trailer will also place an increased load on the landing gear, but I'd be more concerned about the frame. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

That's the way I replaced the tires on my 5er, but I placed the jacks underneath the spring plates on the axles.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

At my age I would take the trailer to the tire store, especially if it was that close. Let the younger, stronger folks at the tire store handle the heavy lifting! I would then double check all the torque on the lug nuts when I got back home. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Boy I really said that wrong- I'm putting the jack right behind the axles on the frame. By lifting there, however, the entire rear of the trailer is going up except the opposite wheels. I know the weight is being transferred somewhere, and fear the front landing gear won't be strong enough for it.

I'll move the lifting point to the axles tomorrow.  I was afraid of bending the axles when I first thought about lifting there.

Lewisburg, Tn.

1 hour ago, Don SC said:

I'll move the lifting point to the axles tomorrow.  I was afraid of bending the axles when I first thought about lifting there.

I like to place the jack right under the spring support (as Ray mentioned). There is usually some structure there to spread the load out some. I wouldn't jack directly against the axle tubes as I would be afraid of concentrating the load there. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Today I jacked the axles up and put the 5er up on jack stands.That  u-bolt is really close to the tire.

IMG_2541_zpscbjhti72.jpg

All 4 tires look really good from a distance, but close up they show that they need replaced after 7 yrs.. goes to show you the importance of regular checks, huh?

IMG_2543_zpstpr2ijpq.jpg

IMG_2544_zpsa5kadfot.jpg

My finger is pointing to a 6" long BUBBLE between the treads.

Lewisburg, Tn.

On 7/2/2017 at 9:52 PM, GlennWest said:

Only have to lift it about an inch this way. 

Thanks Glenn. I hated to lift the rv from the axles, but there isn't a pad under the U-bolts. They just wrap around the bottom of the axle. I placed my bottle jack (12 ton) between the two U-bolts. Not enough room for a floor jack.

Lewisburg, Tn.

On 7/3/2017 at 7:46 PM, Don SC said:

T

IMG_2544_zpsa5kadfot.jpg

My finger is pointing to a 6" long BUBBLE between the treads.

That is called the bomb

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

DON SC,

I had all 4 tires do that at nearly the same time. I was on an interstate and began to feel a vibration. slowed to 45 mph, turned on flashers and continued to the next exit. By chance there was a HDT repair shop near the exit. I was flabergasted when they showed me all 4 tires with a football/bubble on them.

They recommended I upgrade to Sailun 235/85R16, LR "G" tires, so I did. That ended my tire problems on that 15,500# 5er.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived