Judge blocks Califederation high-cap mag ban

Yarome

For those gun owners having had/have plans for visiting Califederation in the near future:

"A federal judge is blocking a California law set to go into effect Saturday that would have barred gun owners from possessing high-capacity ammunition magazines.

San Diego-based U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez said in a ruling Thursday that the law banning possession of magazines containing more than 10 bullets would have made criminals of thousands of otherwise law-abiding citizens who now own the magazines.

He issued a preliminary injunction backing the legal challenge by the National Rifle Association-affiliated California Rifle & Pistol Association."

Link to article

Well, finally some common sense......

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Shucks!

Does this mean those who have "given up their spots" in CA will not be doing so?

BTW - for those who avoid CA - you are falling down on the job - by not advising your friends, neighbors, acquaintances, and kin - what a terrible place it is.......as they just keep on a-comin as permanent residents!

Population is up to approx 40 mil now.

6 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Shucks!

Does this mean those who have "given up their spots" in CA will not be doing so?

Population is up to approx 40 mil now.

And about 6% of them shouldn't be there, twice as many as any other state in the country.

I couldn't help but laugh my butt off when I read this article. 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/29/pedro-figueroa-zarceno-awarded-190000-san-francisc/

The city settled with him before trial. I'm thinking they should let the judge in the magazine ruling hear this case. He sounds like a voice of reason in a state that is very confused.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

30 minutes ago, Big5er said:

And about 6% of them shouldn't be there, twice as many as any other state in the country.

I couldn't help but laugh my butt off when I read this article.

I'm thinking they should let the judge in the magazine ruling hear this case. He sounds like a voice of reason in a state that is very confused.

More shockingly, accordingly to DHS, that number represents approx. 25% of all illegal/undocumented immigrants in the entire U.S.

Agreed! That's flippin hilarious! Only in Califederation!

Sad commentary though that it takes a Federal Judge to tell CA(F) law makers.. "Come on! Don't be stoopid!" :D:lol:

Two things to know before anyone starts doing a victory lap;

"But on the same day, Sacramento-based U.S. District Court Judge William Shubb, an appointee of Republican George H.W. Bush, backed the ban and rejected arguments by different gun owners' rights groups."

And

"De Leon called the San Diego judge's opinion absurd. Both men predicted it will be overturned because similar restrictions have been upheld elsewhere."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/californias-gun-control-efforts-suffer-2-legal-setbacks-081324839.html

So, it is VERY likely the injunction will be lifted on appeal, especially since it will probably be heard in the liberal 9th Circuit. 

11 hours ago, remoandiris said:

So, it is VERY likely the injunction will be lifted on appeal, especially since it will probably be heard in the liberal 9th Circuit. 

I agree, but at least there is an attempt towards rationality. You have to give credit for that. 

It makes it very difficult to enter the state since I'm a fulltimer. 

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

There is no doubt that the substantially different firearms laws from state to state make it quite difficult to travel about the country legally.  Since the only left coast state we are licensed to carry in is Washington for us it makes California's spin on the topic moot.  I for one hope the concealed carry reciprocity bill(s) introduced in congress continue to get traction as this provision would be a boon to RV travelers, especially fulltimer's who have  fewer options to comply with these seemingly never ending regulations.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

2 hours ago, remoandiris said:

Don't hold your breath.

I tend to agree. It is going to be quite difficult to pass it. In my opinion.  It certainly makes the life of a fulltimer difficult. But really not much more than a vacation traveller that has to determine all the laws and constant changes to them as they move from state-to-state. Imagine if you had to do that with a driver's license.

www.jackdanmayer.com

I fully agree that vacation travelers get hit with these same restrictions the difference with fulltimer's is that they can not simply leave their firearms at home or with a neighbor until they return since they may never return to a particular location.  Hence all one can do is write your representatives and hope that common sense and the constitution will prevail to push one of these bills into law.

Later,

J

5 hours ago, KodiakJack said:

I fully agree that vacation travelers get hit with these same restrictions the difference with fulltimer's is that they can not simply leave their firearms at home or with a neighbor until they return since they may never return to a particular location.  Hence all one can do is write your representatives and hope that common sense and the constitution will prevail to push one of these bills into law.

Later,

J

Where in the Constitution does is proscribe how many rounds a magazine should hold?

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Proscribe? The Constitution does not forbid, prohibit, disallow or outlaw much of anything. It mostly says what your rights are. It certainly doesn't say you cannot own a magazine with 15 rounds of ammunition.

So what was your question again?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

7 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Proscribe? The Constitution does not forbid, prohibit, disallow or outlaw much of anything. It mostly says what your rights are. It certainly doesn't say you cannot own a magazine with 15 rounds of ammunition.

So what was your question again?

Your are correct the Constitution is irrelevant when it comes to deciding how many rounds a magazine can legally hold.  I believe that was my point.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:03 PM, Yarome said:

For those gun owners having had/have plans for visiting Califederation in the near future:

"A federal judge is blocking a California law set to go into effect Saturday that would have barred gun owners from possessing high-capacity ammunition magazines.

San Diego-based U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez said in a ruling Thursday that the law banning possession of magazines containing more than 10 bullets would have made criminals of thousands of otherwise law-abiding citizens who now own the magazines.

He issued a preliminary injunction backing the legal challenge by the National Rifle Association-affiliated California Rifle & Pistol Association."

Link to article

Well, for as long as it lasts, that's great to hear.  Unfortunately, Judge Benitez is severely outnumbered within the CA court system.  Making honest citizens, many who have risked harm defending this great nations freedoms, overnight felons with the stroke of a pen is sinister at best. 

21 hours ago, pjstough said:

Where in the Constitution does is proscribe how many rounds a magazine should hold?

My reference to the Constitution was related to the aforementioned concealed carry reciprocity bills that have been introduced in Congress and specifically to the right therein to bear arms.  

Later,

1 minute ago, KodiakJack said:

My reference to the Constitution was related to the aforementioned concealed carry reciprocity bills that have been introduced in Congress and specifically to the right therein to bear arms.  

Later,

I dont see any relationship between proposed concealed reciprocity bills and the Constitution.  Certainly, people have the right to bear arms, but the Constitution does not mention concealed carry reciprocity.

Like a lot of y'all I own a handful of guns , but , I am concerned and ashamed when I see a bunch of civilians walking around our National Parks with assault weapons in their hands and on their shoulders , GETTYSBURG NAT BATTLEFIELD  !

While working a craft show in Georgia last spring there was a bunch of "miltia ' fellas strutting around with assault rifles , kinda scary to me , I carry , but concealed .  Not trying to start a fight  but just my opinion ! 

3 minutes ago, pjstough said:

I dont see any relationship between proposed concealed reciprocity bills and the Constitution.  Certainly, people have the right to bear arms, but the Constitution does not mention concealed carry reciprocity.

Agree there is no mention of concealed carry or reciprocity in the Constitution and you are correct people certainly have the right to bear arms.  The Constitution provided this right.  So how can concealed carry reciprocity, carrying or bearing of arms in any manner not be related to the Constitution?

Again it is my belief that concealed carry reciprocity would benefit all travelers especially full-time RV'ers by providing uniform provisions throughout all of the states.

Later,

J

Archived